The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is anything made in the US anymore..

This may be a bad subject, but it really bugs me.
    I will not buy any ornaments that are made in another country. And that is just the start. Just for grins I went through all my tee shirts and sweat shirts the other day. out of about 20, here is what I found. Malasia, Ecuador, Viet Nam, China, Indonesia,
    And one was made in the US.. My Rolex Sweatshirt was made in Alabama. AGGGH~ Is it possible to find things made in the US.
    Nothing against Canada, but I was standing in the kitchen the other day and the Bakery bread I got from Meijer said a product of Canada!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

YES! I actually bought a (really expensive) pair of jeans a few weeks ago and guess what? Made in the US. They make my butt look good (which takes some nice work) and they're made in the US. But they're damn near 200 bucks!

Most folks want to spend 30 bucks on a pair of jeans. I had never bought an expensive pair. Thought I'd try just once as a Merry Xmas to me. Love them. (Hudson btw)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Yes. There is a store close to me that is called "Made in America". Everything in the store is made in the USA. I believe they have a website as well.

http://www.madeinamericastore.com/
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

3 members found this post helpful.

Nothing really wrong with imports--after all, many countries buy stuff made in the US. (The big one is gasoline.) Helps our balance of trade. The textile industry has mostly been moved out of the US because of high labor costs. Most people don't want to pay what domestically made products would cost. However, American Outfitter does carry all clothing made in the USA.

I just bought a beautiful Pendleton blanket with horses on it. Made in USA.

If you're serious, do a little research ahead of time before you buy those Walmart T's. There are many domestical small businesses that would love to sell you quality items.

3 members found this post helpful.

Things are made in places depending on what goes into them. Where the inputs are low cost is where the product is made. A simple fact of life, no matter how much we wish it to be otherwise. Made in USA t-shirts are a small market.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    Nothing really wrong with imports--after all, many countries buy stuff made in the US. (The big one is gasoline.) Helps our balance of trade. The textile industry has mostly been moved out of the US because of high labor costs. Most people don't want to pay what domestically made products would cost. However, American Outfitter does carry all clothing made in the USA.

I just bought a beautiful Pendleton blanket with horses on it. Made in USA.

If you're serious, do a little research ahead of time before you buy those Walmart T's. There are many domestical small businesses that would love to sell you quality items.

well, currently the US is importing more goods than it is exporting, which is a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I noticed last night that my bubble bath is made in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    I noticed last night that my bubble bath is made in Texas.
    not sure if that gets a vote of confidence though
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

GE is bringing a bunch of appliance manufacturing back to the US.
    http://business.time.com/2012/04/12/...e-export-jobs/
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/21a46546-7...#axzz2GBpwqKOL

Cars: many are still made in the US.

Furniture: I ordered a new TV hutch, the one I ordered made in Arizona was $1000, the one made in China was $2000!! A lot of furniture is still made in North Carolina.

Shoes: http://www.zappos.com/munro-american

Lots of little clothes shops opening up for American designers
    http://www.siloamericanmade.com/

Once you start shopping, it's really fun to find little gems, and sometimes be pleasantly surprised.

There are lots of things still made here. Make an effort to look before buying. Maybe the fact that someone has bubblebath from TX doesn't matter to some, but I find it important to look for as many products made in the USA as possible.

Dog and cat food, dishwashing soap, laundry detergent, shampoos & conditioners, bed & bath linens, etc. I also look for products not tested on animals.

There is nice clothing still made here, take care when you wash it and a good quality item will last longer than the $5 stuff you get at walmart.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Element Electronics makes some of it's TVs in the USA. You can buy them at Target, Walmart, CostCo, etc. I don't know how good they are though.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Most of my company's products are made and assembled in the US! And are recycled/recyclable. Woot!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I work for www.horseworks.com All made in the USA

Oooh- My Xmas cards from Tractor Supply were from USA too! (Learnin' Tree I think)..

I also buy my dog USA Rawhide, does that count? ( I-Pets.com )
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

I got my daughter a play kitchen from Little Colorado last year for Christmas and she spent all morning playing with it rather than her new toys.

I get a ton off ETSY.com now - supporting small businesses. Most stuff you can find if you look and are willing to pay. Although sometimes it is cheaper!

The company I work for just bought a big manufacturing plant on shore but is not saying why.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Belleaphant View Post
    I work for www.horseworks.com All made in the USA

Oooh- My Xmas cards from Tractor Supply were from USA too! (Learnin' Tree I think)..

I also buy my dog USA Rawhide, does that count? ( I-Pets.com )
    Ooh, horseworks has nice stuff. Thanks for putting the link in.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Thanks You guys, For all the suggestions, I will be much more vigilant from now on. I do not mind paying a bit more for US made good quality stuff!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Speed Queen washers and dryers

Hyundai, Toyota, and Mercedes are built in AL

It's not just the el cheapo, bottom-of-the-market shirts made in China...

My sister works at a high end apparel company (expensive enough to be thought of as a "fancy" brand, cheap enough to be mass produced and sold in upscale suburban malls) doing product development work. Her company has contracts with garment factories in China, various southeast Asian countries and South America. About 6 months ago, she went on a business trip to inspect sub-contractor factories in Asia.

In China, the factory she toured as located literally in the middle of nowhere, several hours by bus outside the nearest major city. The workers largely lived in company dormitories and ate in a company cafeteria. The majority had left families behind elsewhere and would only see them once a year (at the Chinese New Year holiday). Their lives were pretty much work, eat and sleep (not that there were a lot of recreational opportunities in the factory's area). And if extra shifts are needed for the factory to meet some deadline, no pesky outside interests (spouse, kids, house, whatever) to get in the way; the workers are just informed that they will be working more shifts. This is norm for the industry, from Walmart on up.

I somehow doubt that most Americans would be willing to work under those conditions, especially not for a couple dollars a day. Nor would most people be happy if the cost of clothes at the local mall doubled, tripled, quadrupled or more (which would happen if the factories were in the US, paying even minimum wage)

Made-in-the-USA clothes from small scale boutiques or etsy-type artisanal vendors, sure. Not sure that mass produced clothes will go back to being produced here any time soon.

BES
    Last edited by BlueEyedSorrel; Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Dove deodorant, body wash, etc.

Suave products

Axe products

Skippy peanut butter

Lipton tea bags

Breyers

All made in USA.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450