The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default pony climbs no climb fence - suggestions needed

I put up no climb horse fencing and my 13.1 3/4 Arabian pony just destroyed his current no-climb fence. He will take his little hooves and pull it down. He crupled a lot of fencing that way. At one point I had electric tape across the top and don't really know if that helped or not since the damage is from the bottom.

Now, my dilema is that I want to replace that fence and add the same kind to another pasture section where I would turn out this pony. What is the solution?

I want to put no-climb horse fencing on about 3,000 feet that would be accessible to this pony. He tore down the 200 or 300 feet that he's had access to. He has plenty of space and company so he shouldn't be bored and plenty of water and grass so it's not like he needs anything.

What do I do to reliably stop this conduct?

Place another strand of HOT wire lower, maybe 2-3 ft off the ground. You could also put it on the long insulators that keep the wire away from the post by about 6 inches.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'd do two strands of hot wire on whatever fencing you want to do. Put one right about his knee level on the keepers that hold it 2-3" away from the posts. When he goes to paw at the fencing, he'll zap himself. Put the other strand at the top.

1 members found this post helpful.

are you using high-tensile fencing?

I've tried to repsond a couple of times so we'll see if the third time is a charm.......

Thanks. I didn't want to put any electric tape, especially lower, but maybe that is the only option. What I can do it put the electric for a couple of months and hopefully he gets zapped and then decides it's always hot. Then, I would just remove the lower wire. His access would be about 2,000 feet, though, which is a bit of an aggravation - but that's probably the only solution. I really want him to have access to that part because his pasture mate is sensitive to grass and this strip would give them a lot of running room with less grass than other places. If worse comes to worse, I will just fence him away from it - he's fine on full pature - and just let them together part of the time. Thanks.

Clanter, no, there isn't any high-tensile fencing. I'm talking of regular no-climb horse fencing (like you would buy at our equivolent to Tractor Supply- not welded, just the no climb and not high tensile woven wire that you might find at Premier One) with electric tape at the top, and then the possibilty of the tape at knee level was brought up byt these two helpful posts. It's pretty common for people to say hot wire for anything electrified, and high tensile wire is way, way beyond even electric wire.

Just use hot tape...it's not dangerous; I don't know why you would want to take it down. As someone else suggested, put it on the extenders...I think I would do 3 rows for the super destructive pony.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

It sounds to me like your no-climb may not have been stretched tightly enough. It should be so taut that a horse shouldn't be able to push it down with their hooves and crumple it, if I'm understanding your description correctly. You might check into that before you have the next section done.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am wondering, too, though if I didn't secure it sufficiently well to the posts and that created the problem of his being successful. The 200 feet was attached to t-posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    Now, my dilema is that I want to replace that fence and add the same kind to another pasture section where I would turn out this pony. What is the solution? ... What do I do to reliably stop this conduct?
    I had a (bratty clever) Welsh pony that did exactly the same, even with the no climb attached to post and rail fencing. He'd "step down" the no climb, grab the top rail with his teeth to work the rail loose, or, failing that, stick his neck through the rails and push his way through to break them. The grass was always greener on the other side, according to him.

The only thing that stopped him was three strands of electric wire on electric posts set 1' in from the post and rail/no climb. It was, in effect, a double fence, but it was the solution.
    Last edited by gothedistance; Dec. 26, 2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by gothedistance View Post
    I had a (bratty clever) Welsh pony that did exactly the same, even with the no climb attached to post and rail fencing. He'd "step down" the no climb, grab the top rail with his teeth to work the rail loose, or, failing that, stick his neck through the rails and push his way through to break them. The grass was always greener on the other side, according to him.

The only thing that stopped him was three strands of electric wire on elecyric posts set 1' in from the post and rail/no climb. It was, in effect, a double fence, but it was the solution.
    Had a similar problem with my mini/Shetland mare. And this was the only solution for me as well - a double fence with the inner one being electric and HOT. FWIW mine tested that hot wire often and if it ever went out or got turned off she would tear right through it before breaking out my nice vinyl fence boards... So my recommendation would be to plan on leaving that hot wire fence up if that's the direction you go.

GotMyPony, I think we were posting at the same time. It could be that I didn't have it tight enough, but like gothedistance mentions, it may not help to have it tighter. Like some horse will stand on a fence rail, he'd get his little, tiny hoof hold and put his weight there.
    The "double fence" would be a triple fence, since neighbors on this side have either wood fence or the white vinyl lined with dog proof fence on their inside along almost that entire side. But, since my existing fence is there, they put theirs about a foot in, which means i really shouldn't just remove mine.
    LauraKY, I'm not sure that the tape is all that safe in an area that I really don't pay that much attention to. It's helpful that there aren't horses on the other side of the fence there - exept for a short distance. I would think that if a horse gets entangled in the tape, it could pull a stifle or cut off circulation if it were wrapped around the leg.

Hmmm. RedmondDressage, this is becoming disheartening. Maybe, I'll refence the place that he has damaged, put up the electric for awhile and take it down to see if he is "cured" before I do the 2600 feet area.

I had my fencing plans made until I thought about what this pony did. Add to the pony's conduct, the place the bear climbed over the five-foot no-climb fence, and my plans are falling apart!

Thanks. it's time for a replan, I suppose.

I would absolutely use electric TAPE (not wire) for a lower strand. The stuff breaks pretty easily under pressure and is highly visible.

Other options (if you're worried about wire) would be something like this:
    http://www.electrobraid.com/enlarge.html which I have not seen in person

Or this:http://www.centaurhtp.com/white-lightning.html which I have seen, and I'd probably do my whole place in it if I had to make a choice.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

I, too, have a no-climb climber. I've watched my 38" mini/pony, Mingus, wedge his hooves into the 2x4 openings on the fence and stand on it. Our fence is most definitely stretched properly, but he is determined. In addition to being hard on the fence, this is also hard on his hooves; we could not understand how he got a vertical cut in his hoof, but 300 lbs (or whatever percentage of his body weight) standing on that wire did the trick.

We opted for hot wire, top and bottom, which he will not get anywhere near, even if it's not plugged in.

This same horse can jump over a 48" fence from a standstill, but he stays in by choice. Last time he jumped out, I found him searching for a way to get back in to be with his friends...
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

We had an amazing Shetland pony that was atheletic like that. He was 36" and could jump the moon. The most talented equine in everything.

I have (very) thankfully never had to fence in anything that determined, but if your pony is anything like every one I've ever had, I would think he would figure out when you took the tape down. I've had ones that even figure out it's turned off temporarily. Good luck, sounds like he's quite the challenge!

No, he's really not a challenge. He's just here because everyone in the family fell in love with him after I rescued him from the killer buyer. He's pretty high quality and I wanted to find him a show home - but nope, too sweet and cute. LOL He's the most trouble free little guy - this is really the only thing he's done that was a bad thing - well, he played with my former coat when I left it in the pasture lol A playful boy who will play fetch.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."