The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Christmas gifts NOT made in China?

So did anyone receive a gift that wasn't made in China?

I got two items made in Germany and one item made in France. Everything else (except the food items) was made in China.

I only got one gift for Christmas, a cashmere scarf made in Scotland!

Actually a friend also gave me some hand made glasses made from Bombay Sapphire Gin bottles (which I love - thanks!! ). Not sure where the bottles were originally made..

NC piedmont

I got some lovely items made by local craftspeople...and others that were made in China.

ALL of my gifts were either handmade (all my sewing projects used fabric made in the USA: I think all of it was), made by local artisans, or supported local businesses. I think I gave one tea towel that was foreign made but printed with a local design and sold by a local business, and a few books (one antique, two bought new for a child). Other than that, everything was made by local artisans or by me. Nothing from the big box stores (closest I came was Jo-Ann fabrics because we don't have a locally owned fabric store, and the fabric was USA made), never set foot in the mall. It was more work, but I found I enjoyed both the shopping and the sewing immensely more than just hitting the mall!

Lexington, KY

All of our gifts (given and received) all made in the US. Most by local craftsmen.
    For all the cruelty and hardship of our world, we are not mere prisoners of fate. Our actions matter, and can bend history in the direction of justice.
    ~ Barack Obama

dur-Ham, NC

I bought lots of local jams, jellies, butters, dog treats, and mustards from my local farmers market to give as gifts I live 800 miles away from anyone in my family, so they really enjoyed the novelty food items. Bonus points - I gave away items that will be enjoyed and won't collect dust!
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

I buy off a lot. I have a gift to myself coming from UK.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Sisters, Oregon

My husband is an artist and made me this belt for Christmas...100% Made in America!
    Kanoe Godby
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

2 members found this post helpful.

Spotsylvania, VA

My new Eclipse horse trailer, made in OH
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Gettysburg, PA

We've been following the "Made In America" news segments and I tried but it's really hard with kids and electronics. Not much of those made in America. I did gift and recieve some food and pet items that are USA. I also purchased some clothing made in America. I received a picture that was made and framed by a local artist.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook