The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Okay, I'm familiar with the route you are taking. Just take it slow on 620. I'm hearing sirens galore every few minutes.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Okay, I'm familiar with the route you are taking. Just take it slow on 620. I'm hearing sirens galore every few minutes.
    Hey there, if you need anything, let me know. I live a few miles from Catlett, way North on 610. It is still icy, be careful on the back roads.

The problem is people are terrified to drive in a little bit of snow/freezing rain and terrified people are almost as dangerous as reckless people, IMO. I used to live up north in MI and NY, and this is nothing.

FWIW, I am in Loudoun County and just got back from running errands in the Leesburg/Sterling/Purcellville area. The roads aren't bad. They are slush. Just be cautious and use common sense and you will be fine. My truck is 2WD and I had no problems on main or back roads.

I would, however, advice you go out now, rather than waiting until later this afternoon. As the temps drop I expect roads will get icy later on.
    Last edited by Milocalwinnings; Dec. 26, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Lol.
    I moved from Richmond to interior Alaska when I was 23. I learned to drive on any and all winter roads ! Glare ice, black ice, white outs, blizzards, dodging moose, closed roads, ad infinitum.
    Down here? Sleet, freezing rain,skiffs of snow, and 31/32/33 degree temps, plus no studded tires= me staying home. Snow packed roads and temps below zero make driving a lot safer.

1 members found this post helpful.

Spent 10 hours on I-95 today, mostly in VA, for a 5 hour trip.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Buddy Roo did you make it?

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Spent 10 hours on I-95 today, mostly in VA, for a 5 hour trip.
    Was right there with you, headed from northern MD to North Carolina coast normally 6 1/2 - 7 hour trip was 11 hours thanks to 95 through northern VA went less than 10 miles in two hours, once we got to 295 around Richmond it finally opened up.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    Buddy Roo did you make it?
    She called me last night on her way home.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I know I'm late to the party here, but there are a few things I have noticed regarding winter driving in Virginia.

My husband is from Utah, and of course made fun of us for not driving much in winter weather (ie, "You get a half-inch here and the whole state shuts down!)

We get ICE. Driving on snow is not like driving on ice. Ice is less forgiving and a lot quicker to wreck you. Virginia temperatures fluctuate, so what was not ice yesterday may well be ice today. So no, 2 inches of snow is no big deal, but that quarter inch of ice under it is.

Another thing that adds to the above point: Most roads in heavy-snow areas are very flat to aid plowing. We get rain here. Roads are humpbacked to help water run into the ditches. However, this will help a car run into the ditch if it slips on the ice.

These observations are in no way absolute, but worth keeping in mind.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams