The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How safe is it to drive in VA when it has snowed? LOL!

I was going to run out to the barn today as I haven't had a car for a few days and want to check on my girl.

I'm listening to the radio and it's just accident after accident. There's hardly any snow at all!!

But I took a taxi ride Christmas Eve after it had just BARELY snowed, nothing sticking, and the driver said "I've been here 28 years, I do not drive when it snows. People here can't handle it."

So....while I'm comfortable driving in winter weather, is it "safe" ish at least to head out?

I hear Loudon County is in bad shape and I'm pretty much headed that way if I hit the road.

What say you local NoVa peeps? Safe? Not safe? I'm not worried about ME, I just don't want to get in a wreck because someone else can't figure it out. We only have one car!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

While not in NoVA resident, I am a transplanted NY'er in Georgia and I say: Stay home.

Yes, WE can drive in it because we were taught properly and have the experience. Our fellow southerners did not have said teaching and, due to the rare snow events, do not have the experience.

Unless it's an emergency or absolute necessity, stay put.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

It is freezing rain/snowing/icing here in the western part of the state. We are not venturing out. We heard one guy trying to get up the hill to the main road and you could hear him sliding around a lot, so we decided today would be pajama day.
    The times I have been in other parts of the state in the snow/ice don't give me confidence in going out in it. Nobody has enough practice. I would make some hot coccoa and hang out.

I doubt VA has the salt/sand/plow infrastructure you are used to. Better stay home.

My only concern is that my mare doesn't really do cold/wet well since getting PHF a few years ago. It's been so mild thus far that I haven't blanketed her. The BO is out of town and I'm not so sure the farm sitter person is on the lookout for a shivering beast or will throw out more hay. So I'm a little worried.

But I am not so worried that I want to go get myself killed.

Can you call the farm sitter? I'm from VT, but people always drive like loons the first few snows around here and they have the skills! It's terrifying.

If she's not too far, I would brave it, but I'm an obsessive worry-wart when it comes to my horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Best to stay home...people around here can't drive in "conditions"! As a transplant from Illinois, I too have no issue driving in this kind of weather, but the idiots out driving scare me to death!

I have seen panicked people abandon their vehicles in the middle of the street and walk away because they're too terrified to go further. They don't know how to handle a skid, how to turn, how to get up a hill, etc. It's really frightening!

Super, problem is that I have the blanket here with me. I tried calling farm sitter to see how Miss Piggy is doing, but no answer. It's about an hour drive for me on a good day so it would suck to get rear ended and stranded. Just seeing the people going past my house is a little discouraging. It's kind of laughable really!

I'm in Loudoun (Loudon is in TN )

The snow has changed over to sleet and will be heavy rain shortly. I'm on a quiet side street that hasn't seen a plow, but I know the main roads have had some attention.

I'm a WI native and also have no issue with driving in winter weather, except where citiots are behind the wheel. They have no concept of "slow down" on wet or snowy pavement. I avoid going out, but if I have to, my defensive driving skills are on high alert. Lots of room between me and the car ahead, brake early...you know the drill.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

People are driving around here right now but once you get further out, it might not be so great. Just walking my dog, it was pretty slick out there and there is some street flooding to boot. If you really want to make the trek, I can take you out there since I have 4WD on my SUV.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post
    I have seen panicked people abandon their vehicles in the middle of the street and walk away because they're too terrified to go further. They don't know how to handle a skid, how to turn, how to get up a hill, etc. It's really frightening!
    We could make serious money by offering our driving services to those people!

I'm sorry, HFB, I meant the county of...here in VA.

Lex, that's kind of you. I'm really not worried about me getting there. I've driven in much much worse in 2WD...I only used 4WD when I was trying to get through a lot of snow. Doesn't do you much good when it's just slick.

We'll see. I'm going to wait it out a little longer.

It has to be melting. It's not really cold enough out to stick!

Don't apologize, BR! You're new and still not used to the spellings. It's OK, really (we need a good-natured teasing font)

The rain is melting the snow to a good degree but as I said, we're beginning to see flooding and the roads are getting to the point where hydroplaning is a regular occurrence. Right now, the temp is right above freezing and if it gets lower, it's gonna get nastier.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

oh, I missed the second U. I get it now. LOL

Thanks Lex. Well, I'm going to give the farm lady about another 45 min to call back and then I'm going with towels and a blanket. This is the kind of wet/cold weather that is hard on the critters. I've got my coveralls, my muck boots (insulated) and my stocking cap. I'd be taking slow roads out anyway so since the hydroplane is between 55-65 typically, I'll bet I'm fine. Never do getting going that fast anyway.

If I do head out though, Lex I may text you when I leave and when I'm coming back just so someone knows where I am. K? Just in case.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll prep my Jeep in a few moments just in case you need a rescue. Be sure you stick to the main roads and don't take any shortcuts through the back country. Does your phone have a GPS app? If so, you can give me an idea of where you are if you get stuck and I can plug it into my GPS so I know where to go.

Also, be sure to take your car charger for your phone. Lots of people forget that in bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    oh, I missed the second U. I get it now. LOL

Are you on FB? There are some good pages for weather info around here:

Hazardous Weather Prediction Center SE
    Anyone have any accumulations/observations/pictures? Roads are a complete mess here in Harrisonburg.(11:33am)

[first response] Warren co too
    Drive safely!

Lex, you're awesome

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post

Lex, you're awesome
    I'm not awesome. I'm just me...which just happens to be greater than awesome.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh Lex. I promise, I will take all due care. I even have blankets in the car as part of normal winter driving. (packed them for hubby's trip home to MI) And water. And food. I could probably live a la My Side of the Mountain for a few days if needed. That is kind of you.

I will take 620W to 28S. Heading past Manassas. Until I'm a 1/2 mile from the barn, I'll be on 28. (headed towards Midland/Warrenton) There really aren't any ditches to speak of so you won't find me dead in one.

I'll call you before I leave if I go. Thanks.