The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Do You Support Small Local Businesses?

While my Pic-Pac IS a chain, I do support my local store around the corner.
    They do have actual cashiers at the register. Those ladies are nice and know my brand of cigarettes without me having to tell them.
    The meat is cut and wrapped there and then set out for the customers.

My local hardware store has been in my little neighborhood since 1921. He sells everything, LOL. Including horse feed, halters and fly spray.
    While he is now under a franchise, he just expanded this past summer to triple the size of the store and it still looks the same with merchandise scattered all over.
    He gives me pallets for free if I need any. And he loads big items into my truck without me asking

My hay guy also sells feed from a local mill. While it's not the Mercedes of horse feed, I do use it to mix with the fancy stuff.

My mechanic has a little shop around the corner. He is awesome and when I drop off my vehicle he takes me home and picks me back up when the repairs are done. Some little stuff he doesn't bother charging me; I am a loyal customer.

How do you support the local small businesses so they can continue to survive regardless of the big guys.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I support local businesses out of convenience because that's what is here. I live in a part of NoVA where there are many small businesses and not a lot of chains - not including franchise restaurants of course - and many of them are restaurants or food-oriented businesses like bakeries and such.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I cheat on my grocery store and shop at Wegman's. I figure that it started here, so to me it is local. I always shop at my local feed and supply store first, and only go to Tractor Supply if there is something that they don't have. I'm stuck with the big chains on hardware and I hate it. I can't even call Lowe's and Home Depot hardware stores any more because there are tons of things that they don't have. Unfortunately, they drove our little local hardware store out of business a few years back. There are some excellent little shops in my town and I always try to buy my gifts from them. I practically never eat at chain restaurants, and am seriously thinking of making my New Year's Resolution to avoid them altogether. I don't think you can go 100 percent local, but if you just make the effort, it's surprising how much you can do.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I use my local feedstore as much as possible.
    But sometimes TSC just wins my dollar for better pricing.
    Gotta save a buck when I can.

Local mechanic will have my business as long as he's open - he's just dealt too honestly with me since I found him to go elsewhere.
    And, like luvmytbs, he's done N/C work for me on occasion w/o me asking.

I prefer a local restaurant to any franchise, unless the franchisee is also the owner.

No local groceries, even our Strack & Van Til got Centrella-ized years ago.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I refuse to use the grocery store in our little town as it is owned by a registered sex offender who was also convicted of dumping diesel into the Platte. I do use an independently owned feed store for as much as I possibly can, even if it means paying a bit more than at Smartpak, etc because I feel it is worth it to keep them in my area. They actually have a better selection of horse care stuff than the chains in my area. We buy as much of our hay and silage as we can from a 5 mile radius.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Yes, the restaurants.

I frequent locally owned restaurants, some have been so successful they have opened up one or two more in the area.

Love the "hole in the wall" restaurants as well and very much prefer to dine there.

We have a Vietnamese hole in the wall that is packed at lunch and dinner. He refuses to go bigger even though he'd still be able to pack them in.

I was very disappointed when a local Iraqi restaurant closed, but understand that he felt the need to go home to help with the rebuilding of his country.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I shop my local tack store (5 mi from barn) for all the small things like flyspray, shampoo, etc. Frequent my local farmer's markets; buy eggs from a gal who raises free range chickens. I also shop from etsy.com for b-day or special occasion gifts. There is a store across the street from my house that sells all kinds of home goods and furniture. I love the woman who owns it, she has the perfect personality for the store and stocks lovely things which are reasonably priced. Also try to eat at locally owned restaurants.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

My dog food comes from a local pet shop, I shop for my food at farmer's markets and know my farmer by his and her first name.

And when I have to get items that they do not carry I go to my local health food store. My car guy is new but I came to know him through word of mouth and he is super awesome! My body stuff (washes, scrubs, hair stuff) is all hand made by my friend. When I do eat out its always someplace locally owned.

I try really hard NOT to go into Target, Walmart,(I have not been in Walmart in over 15 years) Publix, or the like. I will run into Walgreens for my bathroom stuff, eye care, toothpaste, etc.

I try to buy local as much as possible, I actually have more local restaurants around me than chains, so it's easy to do that way. Try to buy things from local farmer's markets/stores/craftspeople/etc. I'm lucky that I live in an urban area where it's very easy to buy local without really thinking too much about it.

I go to the local, family-owned hardware instead of the Big Box Store; try to buy as much food as possible from local farm families and farmers' markets; the feed store is 3rd generation of the same family now, and I've been with the same hay man for 17 years. Sometimes I pay a little more, and I don't mind that for higher quality and buying from someone I know and like.

I patronize my local feed dealer for feed, wild bird seed, & some of my hay; patronize a local hay farmer for all of the rest of my hay; enjoy local independent restaurants if they're GOOD; shop my local farmers market when it's open; & shop local shops if the quality is good & the prices are reasonable. I don't mind paying a little bit more for local + quality, but if the prices are way out of whack, sorry, but then I don't care if it's "local"; a sap I ain't.

Use the local feed. I'd use my friend's friend's tack store but I really can't think of any tack I need. Scary, huh???

I just don't shop much. My local grocery store is sketchy when it comes to the meats. I'll shop there for some stuff but other stuff.... no!

I grocery shop at a local owned small chain (started out as a co-op and expanded)

I purchase produce from a farmer on my road

I buy beef from a local rancher in our town

I dine out at locally owned restaurants (never chain places)

I purchase hay from the local grower – I am now buying from the third generation. He special orders feed for me, so I do not have to go down to the big name place and buy it there.

I do not buy clothes locally (except from stuff from the local discount place!), or tools (one place in town has a poor selection, and very high prices) – but otherwise I try to support my local producers.

I use the local card shop for all my stationary needs, even though I know he hasn't changed a majority of the stock for a year or more (used to work there). We have two local restaurants where we spend our dining out dollars. Stoked to find a local, independent pet store that stocks my brands of dog food, so I can now avoid both the big and small chain pet stores.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I shop at Walmart, Petsmart, Target, etc. I get my eggs, poultry, and pork from a local fellow who pastures his animals. I check my local tack shop to see if they have what I'm looking for. If not, I'll shop online. I belong to my co-op, and my mechanic lives in the village.

So it's a fair mix.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Our town is small so it isn't like we have a huge number of options (like Chili's, for example, or Barnes & Noble). Today I bought from a local bookstore (instead of via Amazon.com) and our local stationery story (instead of going to Staples, which we do have).

We buy our meat directly from local farmers. Our local co-op has lots of local fresh fruits & veg.

We go to our local coffee shop instead of Starbucks, etc...
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I buy regularly at small businesses near me - the local pizza place instead of going to Pizza Hut, for example. But it's difficult to shop locally most of the time. I work 9-5 in another city. By the time I get home at 6pm, the only small business owners who are still open are the Indians who run the convenience store. Everything else that isn't a bar is closed. I don't feel the need to "support" small business owners who clearly want the perks - working near their home, autonomy, etc. - without the drawbacks of retail, like long hours and working nights, weekends. A deli in my town keeps going under; the location was in one family for 15 years and made a profit. They sold out, and the business has just burned through three owners in 5 years. Each new owner has re-thought the place, refurbished it, and basically refused to deal with the fact that a deli just has to be open. The latest incarnation is a deli-cum-catering-baker. I give it three months.

Sorry, just frustrated that I can't get a damn hoagie. Anyone want to run a NJ deli?

2 members found this post helpful.

1). The only chain store on the island is Stop &Shop. Everything else is local, including the gas station I go to.
    2). The farmers down the street sell better hay than the feed store, and it's cheaper. That's where most of my money goes, lol.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    I buy regularly at small businesses near me - the local pizza place instead of going to Pizza Hut, for example. But it's difficult to shop locally most of the time. I work 9-5 in another city. By the time I get home at 6pm, the only small business owners who are still open are the Indians who run the convenience store. Everything else that isn't a bar is closed. I don't feel the need to "support" small business owners who clearly want the perks - working near their home, autonomy, etc. - without the drawbacks of retail, like long hours and working nights, weekends. A deli in my town keeps going under; the location was in one family for 15 years and made a profit. They sold out, and the business has just burned through three owners in 5 years. Each new owner has re-thought the place, refurbished it, and basically refused to deal with the fact that a deli just has to be open. The latest incarnation is a deli-cum-catering-baker. I give it three months.

Sorry, just frustrated that I can't get a damn hoagie. Anyone want to run a NJ deli?
    Yup - I agree COMPLETELY. Local businesses whine & want the business, but when they close up at 5 p.m. it's just too bad if they don't realize that the rest of the world doesn't stop then as well. Same for local restaurants. Many close uber early, & if we want to have dinner after a movie or another event, frequently a chain is our only option.

I don't swear off chain stores -- sometimes I love me some Outback Steakhouse, Petsmart, or Target -- but here are some ways I shop locally:

1) My car gets fixed by a local guy that is the best.mechanic.ever. Hands down for his honesty, prices, and worksmanship.
    2) My favorite dollar store is a local one with two locations. They should be a chain by how awesome they are though, everyone should get to experience the greatness of these stores!
    3) My eye doc, dentist, vet, and PCP are all local.
    4) Our hay is from a local guy.
    5) I hit up farm stands when they are available. Nothing is better than a fresh egg from a chicken with a good life!
    6) I rather enjoy patronizing the local shops that have goodies like the bakeries, candy stores, and coffee shops.
    7) I get my plants from local nurseries.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05