The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Remote Start and Diesels?

My SO brought this up the other day and I really had no idea if it would work. Could you install a remote start system on a diesel? How would it compensate for allowing the glow plugs to heat up??

I live in a cold place and would love to heat my truck up before I leave for work in the morning!

ETA- The truck is an 06 F-250 and most definitely has glow plugs
    Last edited by dani0303; Dec. 26, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

They do exist! Found This One as an example.

I'd love one again. We had it on a car we later sold. Sure do miss it!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

We have one for our 2007 Dodge diesel. It is setup for the glow plugs. It is lovely to get into a warm vehicle and also to allow it to de ice.

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    We have one for our 2007 Dodge diesel. It is setup for the glow plugs. It is lovely to get into a warm vehicle and also to allow it to de ice.
    just a fine point ... Cummins doesn't use glowplugs. They use an intake heater or grid heater.... different animals

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    They do exist! Found This One as an example.

I'd love one again. We had it on a car we later sold. Sure do miss it!!!
    This one doesn't say anything about being compatible with diesel engines. Did I miss something?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I have a remote start on 3/4 ton diesel. It is WONDERFUL.
    Came factory installed. So it is possible. No clue on details though.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Ours starts remotely from the house - discovered this neat little feature when my husband accidently pocket-dialled the truck.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Our 08 F350 diesel came with remote start from the factory. It is not that helpful though- as idling for long times is not good for that particular engine, so I can't fully utilize the remote start to warm it up.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    This one doesn't say anything about being compatible with diesel engines. Did I miss something?
    When I searched their website, this one and three others came up with DIESEL, so it is compatible.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

My '07 GMC Duramax came with a remote start. I really have not used it much. I think it will run for 10 minutes and then shut down if you do not use the vehicle by then. I get up and start mine and my son's diesel before school. Thank the lord my son is going to school in the deep south; he has know idea what a pain in the rear end it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Ours starts remotely from the house - discovered this neat little feature when my husband accidently pocket-dialled the truck.
    My diesel theoretically has a remote start as well, but it's flakey. The only time I've ever gotten it to work it was accidental, when I sat on the keychain
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

LOVE my remote start! F-250 diesel, shuts off after 10 mins but I'm usually in the truck by then. So nice to get in a warm truck- especially nice when the heated seats are on too!

My '07 Chevy Silverado dually came with the remote start and I love it! It has always worked well and the 10 min deadline suits since I've yet to find I need longer anyway.

If I was considering adding remote start to a late model vehicle, I'd buy the factory module to do it.

Sure it probably costs $250 rather than $100 but ongoing weird electrical issues after somebody has hacked up the wiring harness to install an aftermarket alarm are just no fun.

I probably would not pay for dealer install, but it likely just plugs in so should be an easy DIY if you are comfortable removing trim.

Do you think they would have a factory one for an 06 f-250? I would have really loved one this morning when it was -4.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Do you think they would have a factory one for an 06 f-250? I would have really loved one this morning when it was -4.
    Probably. I'm pretty sure it was an option at the time.

It might depend on trim level. If you have a Lariat with remote locking and lots of electric accessories, you likely have a different wiring harness to fleet model that only has wires leading to the headlights.

It would definitely be worth taking your vin number to a dealer to find out.

My truck is going in Monday to get a faulty fuel injector replaced. I will definitely be asking them about a remote starter

ETA- It is a Lariat. Hopefully that's good news! I'll keep y'all updated.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate