The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    SO and I are hoping to get a place sometime in 2013...however, I've told him that I'm not signing paperwork to buy a house until he "puts a ring on it." We'll see!
    I bought my house in '09 and told my SO that he won't be moving in until he "puts a ring on it". He's slowly encroaching, though. LOL! But we are talking rings and he's told his parents that, too.

I'd have a hard time justifying a mortgage in this economy. I'm a worrier - about my job and the economy. I know that is the only way most people can get a house, though.

Alabama -
    In my area, my mortgage for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home w/ 2 car garage & fenced backyard will be 2/3 the cost of renting a 1 bedroom apartment. Just sayin...
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

ok, then. there you go. it really is up to what a person is comfortable with. Wasn't trying to insult anyone. I, personally, would not be comfortable with a mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDreamRides View Post
    Alabama -
    In my area, my mortgage for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home w/ 2 car garage & fenced backyard will be 2/3 the cost of renting a 1 bedroom apartment. Just sayin...
    yes but you arent factoring in upkeep, taxes, PMI, insurance, increased utilities etc. In a lot of cases, you are better off renting still. I bought my house because I wanted a house, but I would be much further ahead financially if I had kept renting. And I put a lot of $$ down.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    ok, then. there you go. it really is up to what a person is comfortable with. Wasn't trying to insult anyone. I, personally, would not be comfortable with a mortgage.
    In that case, it is a very smart move to not buy a home. Not everyone needs to be a home owner (I personally miss the convince of calling a landlord when something broke!)
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

Well, in my case I could buy my farm w/o a mortgage. I would say I was "lucky" but circumstances say otherwise.

My buying a farm did happen at a good time because my old landlords were elderly and I was always wondering if their kids would kick me out if they (the landlords) died off. At least one of them has died since I moved.

I do like knowing that this place is MINE and no one except the gov't can kick me out (if I don't pay taxes). It really is a relief.

Out of curiousity, what is a "great rate" right now? In my area, we're doing five year terms for 3.09%, three year term for 2.79%. Lots of people doing refi's, not too many purchases happening, market has really cooled down.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I am planning on buying in the next year. Just a starter home, but my first.

Jersey - agreed re: additional costs, but this allows me 2 roommates to help offset costs. As another poster said, it's all in what you are comfortable with!
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

pony4me is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Yep, I'm your friendly landlord. We have a bunch of DIY books, a huge selection of tools, a pressure washer, a good network of contractors to do what we can't, and have the HVAC units tuned up twice a year. Plus funds for any major fix-ups not covered by insurance, and inevitable carpet and appliance replacement. Home ownership is much more complicated than it seems.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I would be looking to buy (a condo/townhouse) if I felt I could sell my current house. I still don't feel like the prospects have improved enough and I am not sure if I really want to jump through all the hoops to have my house ready to be on the market, if there isn't a good chance it will sell relatively easily.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/