The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Possibly slightly silly question...

I've found a few fleas on the new dude () and he's super itchy. We have some flea & tick drops, but they are for dogs 16-30 lbs. Can I still use them on him (he's about 45-50)?

I won't have a car for a few days, since the truck is in the shop and DH is gone for work but I want to kill the fleas BEFORE my house gets re-infested. We JUST seemed to get rid of them!

Thanks!

Flea drops as in fipronil?

These say that the active ingredient is Phenothrin. The brand is Ultra Guard.

That's the Hartz stuff. I wouldn't use it. Not ever. Give him a good bath, keep vacuuming, go over him well with a flea comb. When you can get to the vet, get some Capstar and a topical. Capstar will immediately kill all the fleas on him. Wash his bedding and vacuum, vacuum.

I've found that the off brands of flea preventative (the ones that are supposed to be a generic of Frontline) don't work very well. We had a huge problem this year and I ended up using Advantix which took care of it.

Google Hartz and adverse....
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I've had a lot of issues with Frontline the last couple years. I have a lot of groom clients tell me they religiously use a flea treatment, but the dog still has fleas. It has been Frontline every time I've asked what they've been using.

I really like Revolution. It gets fleas, ticks and heartworms.

Definitely DO NOT use the Hartz, or any off-brand flea med really. There have been really huge problems with bad reactions -- poisoning dogs, eating their skin off (looks like a really bad acid burn), etc. Give him a good bath with some dish soap and vinegar. That will kill most of them. And then get to the vet to get some topical as soon as you can. Capstar is good too.

For long-term treatment, have you tried feeding garlic? Something like this: http://www.springtimeinc.com/product...garlic-dogs/34

I've fed that and brewers yeast, and had 0 fleas and only one tick while I spent the summer in South Carolina. You'll hear debate about garlic being toxic to dogs, but it's really ok unless they eat a HUGE amount in it. In small doses, it's actually quite beneficial. Also, try a bandana with a drop or two of tea tree oil and lavender. That helps keep the bugs off as well.

Good luck!

Thanks everybody! Hopefully DH will be home soon, and in the meantime, into the tub for him!

The regular blue colored Dawn dishwashing liquid is a great flea killer.

You'll hear debate about garlic being toxic to dogs, but it's really ok unless they eat a HUGE amount in it. In small doses, it's actually quite beneficial.
    actually it's not, it's very toxic to dogs. There is a chemical in garlic (and onions) that dogs can't break down that damages their red blood cells. If they eat a huge dose at once, they can manifest symptoms of anemia. If they eat a small dose every day, day after day, they can accumulate enough damage to their cells to experience sub-acute or even acute symptoms of anemia.
    There's no evidence that garlic repels ticks or fleas, or has any beneficial effect on dogs at all. Never give your dog garlic or onions.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    The regular blue colored Dawn dishwashing liquid is a great flea killer.
    This is true. Additionally, fleas can't actually swim or really deal with water well at all. Bathe the dog in Dawn and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing. When you rinse, rinse very well. Fleas will actually drown in pretty minimal amounts of water.

To do a proper flea bath, before getting the dog wet, take the Dawn and make a thick ring around the dog's neck up by the ears. Also put a fair amount around, but not in/on anus and genitals. Fleas tend to run these areas to hide from the water. This will prevent that. Then thoroughly wet the dog and use generous amounts of Dawn. Let sit for a few minutes and rinse thoroughly.

Note: This will only kill what is on the dog that the water and shampoo actually comes in contact with. If you have a dog with a very thick coat, make sure you are getting the soap and water all the way down to the skin or it won't do any good. Also, it will not prevent fleas from jumping back on the dog, so vacuum a couple times a day and wash all bedding in hot water.

1 members found this post helpful.