The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Gabrielle and Isabelle have always been favorites of mine.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

My girl's names (in birth order) Kaely, Morgan, Giavana and Alessandra!

Well the worst name I ever heard was "La-a". Pronounced "La dash a" because "the dash don't be silent".

2 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    Well the worst name I ever heard was "La-a". Pronounced "La dash a" because "the dash don't be silent".
    My best friend has as horrible a sense of humor as I do, and we decided that since someone named their baby Hashtag, I could name mine Target, pronounced Tar-zhay and just use the bull's eye. DH thought there might be some copyright issues.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HCF View Post
    My girl name choice was Avery. Love it. However, I had two boys and am done with kids, so it didn't get used.
    Named my 7 month old Avery Jade.

Still voting (crossing over from FB) for Muriel. It flows well with your last name
    It's an older name, but not yet truly back in popularity so your daughter would likely not meet anyone her age with her name.

If I'd had daughters they'd have been Rhiannon Muriel and Shannon Audrey. BTW Audrey also sounds well with your last name.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Oooh! Oooh! I just thought of a great name! Somewhat trendy, but satisfies your 'hard C' and 'L' preferences.

SCARLETT! And it also goes well with your last name!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Oooh! Oooh! I just thought of a great name! Somewhat trendy, but satisfies your 'hard C' and 'L' preferences.

Haha Nameberry.com has a list of "good girl" and "bad girl names. Charlotte was under good girls and Scarlett under bad. I decided to go with Charlotte even though my husband wanted the other. My girl better wear pearls and cardigans and go to Harvard. LOL

OP, like you we had boys names ready but couldn't agree on girls names until literaly the last minute (during labor for one, and right after the birth for the other!). We settled on ChloƩ and Morgane. Which was funny because at the time I had a Morgan mare, but didn't even think of that. I chose it for its meaning of "being born by the seaside". It took one of my riding buddies to point it out to me!

I like Claire, Callie, Coraline and Caroline, Isabelle, Michelle, Emeline, Elsa, Lucile, Emily, Alicia, Elinor (Eleanor / Alienor etc)...

Congrats and good luck! In the end YOU should have the last word...lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    DH vetoed Linden. I can't be sure, but it might be because his mom's name is Linda, which is also why I vetoed Malinda, my fave aunt's name. Heaven forbid the woman think we named a child for her fruitbat self.

Did any of you just have to cave to your DH/SO when it came to naming, or did they have to cave to you because you absolutely could not find middle ground?
    They had to give in to me . I told them that, if we were giving the baby Dad's last name, it was only fair that I got to choose the first and middle names...that logic went over pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    They had to give in to me . I told them that, if we were giving the baby Dad's last name, it was only fair that I got to choose the first and middle names...that logic went over pretty well.
    That is how I avoided naming DS after DH's dead half brother he never met and his father, Harold. I actually thought we were going to name him Asher, then DH put Andrew on the birth certificate. But I was adamant that my Dad's name be his middle name. My dad has been an amazing and generous dad and grandpa and never had sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post

I LOVE this! GWTW is one of my favorite books. And I actually know someone with this name, an ex-BF's sister, who is a fabulous person. Now to sell DH on it!

Peppermint, Ginger, Basil or Storm.

Callieann

I always wanted to name my daughter Amelia (Amy for short) or Virginia (Ginny for short) but when I was pregnant saw the name Charis (means Grace in Greek) in a baby book and that was it. Good thing it was a girl because we didn't have a boy's name.

It's exciting naming a new baby! All the best to you.

Whatever you name the kid, PLEASE spell it correctly. It's not cute to name a child Christine and spell it Krysteen. It does't make the child "different", it just makes the kid have to spell her name for everybody for the rest of her life. (Or spell the name normally and pronounce it funky- also rather silly IMO)

6 members found this post helpful.

No worries! Hate special spellings, I think it falls under the stripper pole thing in my OP!

Ugh yes, the tryndee kry8tyv spelling!! I'm all for different and unusual names so long as the spell isn't impossible (an exception, my friend's husband is irish and they went with Saoirse. It'll be difficult for her growing up in the states, but her name's spelling isn't random, it's quite common in her daddy's country!)
    I think there are a zillion unusual/uncommon names that work so wonderfully mostly because they're familiar and known, but not often used. Which makes the name a delight to hear!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I have a Taylor Nicole (you have an L and a hard C there) and an Erica Ryan. I love Erica's middle name as it's classy yet not common. My first daughter in heaven is Jordan Elizabeth.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Cleo

Callie (short for Calliope, the muse of ancient poetry

I like Scarlett too, but have known SO many chestnut mares with this name that I can no longer apply it to a human Then again, it may be uber appropriate for you!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")