The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    well, I used Keagan in a story I wrote. made her a flaming redhead tomboy.
    then I met a boy named Keegan...oops?
    I used to ride a Morgan cross mare named Keagan, so you're good

ETA - whoa I just looked it up cause I was curious and it IS a boy's name, but I swear I rode a mare named Keegan!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I like very unique names-my daughter's name was one in just a very few but it's gaining in popularity: Aralyn. I don't like names that end in a long e...the diminutive bothers me, I like a strong ending on a name.

I've always liked Merritt, Meryl, Marin, Claire, Maris (lots of M names for some reason!) I have a friend now named Charlyn and I like her name... I'll keep my eyes open if you like original names... usually people pass right over my suggestions b/c I'm not on the beaten path!

Definitely not thinking about names for MY kids any time soon, but my favorite girl names are Annabelle, Kaylie, Lillie, and Penelope. None of those will work if you don't like the long E though..

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz's View Post
    Definitely not thinking about names for MY kids any time soon, but my favorite girl names are Annabelle, Kaylie, Lillie, and Penelope. None of those will work if you don't like the long E though..
    hehehehehe Penelope and Kipper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I am loving Elise and Callista and Linden! A lot of these are great names that unfortunately overlap very close friends' kids. I really like Cadence, I think it would sound cool if she turned out to ride. DH not so much. In all truthfulness, DS was born in 09 and had he been a girl would have been named Rachel Alexandra because we could not agree on a name. Neither one of us particularly love Rachel or Alexandra as names, but we really couldn't agree
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    hehehehehe Penelope and Kipper...
    Haha I didn't even know what that was until I just looked it up! I've maybe seen a picture or two on here or something, but I just like the name! Though how cute would it be to have a Penelope and a pony named Kipper!

OP I love the name Callista!!

Congratulations!

My husband has a Swedish name in his family, which I regret not using in some way for my daughter as I find it unusual and very pretty: Annagret. It doesn't fit the sounds you were after, but thought I'd share it just the same...

Also want to add Clelia - that's a friend's name (her sister is Soraya - lovely names in the family!). Not Swedish, but interesting!

GL
    Last edited by Tommy's Girl; Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Added two names

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz's View Post
    Haha I didn't even know what that was until I just looked it up! I've maybe seen a picture or two on here or something, but I just like the name! Though how cute would it be to have a Penelope and a pony named Kipper!

OP I love the name Callista!!

but you know, Kipper is a PONY....right!
    (as in evil snit!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I know someone named Elsa, which I think is beautiful; may not be Swedish but has that sound to me. Also a good friend named her daughter Elsbeth, which is unusual and lovely. Sounds like it could be an old family name but my friend actually lived on Elsbeth Street in Dallas at one time and liked it that much!
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

I always liked Natalie, Danielle, Caroline, Claire & Chloe. Also love my niece's name, Annabelle. Guess I also like names with Ls in them!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

My first name is Kendra and I've always liked having it...unusual enough that I've always been the only one in my class/workplace/barn, etc...but not weird and very easy to spell . I think there is at least one other Kendra here, though!

I like Linden a lot.

If DS1 was a girl he was going to be Paige, DS2 would have been Charlotte. Love classy older names (although Paige is fairly modern), one of my all time favorites is Keeley. I also once had an eastern European customer named Azra, I love that name too.

Congrats!

Hard "c" and "l".... Camille? Callie?

I have a cousin named Chaille (pronounced SHAL-ee). That doesn't have your hard "c", but I always thought it was kind of a neat name.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it." - Agent K, MIB

Caroline
    Carolyn
    Elise
    Amelia
    Chloe
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

This doesn't have a c or l, but I've always liked the name Taryn.
    Some others: Becca, Caelyn, Caralee, Charlotte, Clarissa, Lacey.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Cassandra, Mallory and love the name Laiken.

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    My daughter's name is Lillian. We call her Lily now, but when she grows up she can go by Lillian if she wants something a bit more mature.
    My daughter's name is Lillian-Grace. Her middle name is Iverson, which is a very classic, very uncommon name. I love the name Lillian

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

DH vetoed Linden. I can't be sure, but it might be because his mom's name is Linda, which is also why I vetoed Malinda, my fave aunt's name. Heaven forbid the woman think we named a child for her fruitbat self.

Did any of you just have to cave to your DH/SO when it came to naming, or did they have to cave to you because you absolutely could not find middle ground?
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Hmm... Naming rights? My husband bowed in the face of hormones. Good man - though he's made up for it since...

One of my favorite Swedish names is Linnea - easy to spell and pronounce, but not a common name at all (of course I'm sure my opinion is swayed by the fact that the one Linnea I know is a totally awesome person).

Cecilia is another favorite name of mine, and I think also used in Sweden (among other cultures). Lucia, like the Swedish Saint? Could be pronounced loo-chee-a, lu-see-a or loo-sha, which could be annoying - maybe there is a way to clarify with spelling.

Best of luck coming to a compromise you both like. I agree, hormones and 9 months of hard work should be a tiebreaker if it comes to it, but that's not always how other people see it .

1 members found this post helpful.