The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Thinline Alternatives?

Ive recently found a saddle that seems to fit my hard to fit TB very well. Its an older kieffer and I appsolutly LOVE kieffers. The only issue is it does seem to tip me back slightly when im riding, I have borrowed a friends thinline before and really like them. The first issue is I need one where I can put small shims in the back and still have the wither relief component in the front. (he has very high withers and broad shoulders) The second issue is right now I cant afford to fork out close to $200 for a thinline, does anyone know of any cost friendly alternatives that are just as good as thinline half pads?

Thinline really is a good product and I don't know if you can find a cheap alternative. But if you watch eBay or tack selling places like bisandbarter or horsegroomingsupplies, you might find one for way less $ than new. I just picked up one of the shimmable pads without shims for ~$50 to use on my lost-all-his-muscle guy while we build him up again. It was a used pad, a little stained, but in good shape and a lot less than new.

1 members found this post helpful.

Watch ebay... while it doesn't look like they have any great deals at this very moment, they often sell their demo pads or ones with imperfections at extremely discounted prices.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Victorycanter.com.....Trifecta Cotton Half Pad UltraThinline....with front and rear shims $146.95. Free shipping.

Get a (relatively) cheap-o thinline half-pad. Also get Thinline shims for the rear of your saddle, or fold up a no-bow. You don't need pockets for the shims - they stay put just fine. Voila - your solution for under $100.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince