The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Summer

I know we still have a bit of time til summer but I got done money for Christmas and I've been meaning to buy my horse a new fly mask to protect his eyes. A wild animal got a hold of his fly mask plus another horses. But my horse is white and buckskin but hasn't gotten sunburned..... yet. He does get sunbleached though, is that bad for horses? Should I get a flysheet to make sure he doesn't get sunburned and bleached or will he be better with out it?

I use a UV blocking fly mask because my mare does burn and I like to think it helps her eyes... Whether that's true or not I don't know. But it definitely keeps the sunburn away!

I don't think hair getting sunbleached is bad for horses.. I mean my hair gets lighter in the summer in the sun and I don't have negative side effects. I would suggest IMHO a fly sheet with uv protectant for his body, though. Especially if he does sunburn (I know you said he didnt though). Grey horses are at a high risk for skin cancer. I'm not sure if sunburn correlates with cancer in horses as it does with people though? Anyway, as long as he doesn't mind a sheet it won't hurt him. Maybe make him sweaty but just take care of him on really hot days.

Anyone else have opinions on the cancer thing?

I've been told by several people and read that horses with ble eyes have a hire chance of getting some type of cancer which is why I use a uv fly mask.

Eye cancer! Interesting, but it makse sense. I did a few quick google searches and believe the same about a fly sheet on your light colored horse. You may as well have the piece of mind with a UV blocking fly sheet and prevent what cancer you might.