The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Heater for a small apartment?

DH and I moved to a smaller apartment this summer and received a warning from the previous tenants about the electric baseboard heaters sending the electric bill through the roof and so far have successfully managed to not turn them on, but the past few days have been actually cold and have tempted us to turn them on........so we're considering a nice little heater instead.

The place is small (640 sq ft - we're college students and it's cheap yet nice) and has an open concept. We have a forced air heater (one of those that looks like a little fire place) for the bedroom but it just doesn't do the job for the living/dining room.

Anyone have any suggestions for a heater for this type of space? We're hoping to stay under $100 for a decent one.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I had an apartment about that size with baseboard heaters when I graduated from college. I used the baseboard heater in the LR and took care of the bedroom and bath with a 1500 Watt oil-filled electric radiator. It's a very gentle heat and it takes it 15 minutes or so to reach full output. There are numerous models available ranging from about $50 to $150, depending on the bells and whistles.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

We got one from Bed Bath & Beyond - a tower style, I can't recall the brand exactly but would be happy to check and report back. It was $79.99 and does a fantastic job, plus it isn't hideous looking and has a remote, timer & oscillating functions. It heats up our bedroom in about 15 minutes, larger rooms like our living room/kitchen (about the size you mentioned) in an hour. It can be set to a temperature (vs. just the low/med/high settings) and will turn on and off to maintain a set temp if that's something you're interested in.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I have pretty good success with those oil-filled radiators. They run around $40.
    I have used one to heat a tiled 12X16 below-grade bathroom - kept it toasty warm and doubled as a towel warmer.
    Right now i have one in my LR as the tall casement windows are old and not as airtight as they used to be.

You might also try thermal curtains if your LR/DR has windows.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Using oil filled here too since the 220 baseboard heaters in a couple of rooms died of old age. Looked into replacing the baseboard heaters and about died when I saw the price per foot. Bought a quartz furnace for the basement and an oil-filled for the upstairs and added a second. The reduction in power usage paid for double the cost of the three units.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    We got one from Bed Bath & Beyond - a tower style, I can't recall the brand exactly but would be happy to check and report back. It was $79.99 and does a fantastic job, plus it isn't hideous looking and has a remote, timer & oscillating functions. It heats up our bedroom in about 15 minutes, larger rooms like our living room/kitchen (about the size you mentioned) in an hour. It can be set to a temperature (vs. just the low/med/high settings) and will turn on and off to maintain a set temp if that's something you're interested in.
    I have one of these for our unheated upstairs- works great and nearly silent.

This one is really good - it heats our 12-foot high ceiling room very nicely:
    http://beta.hammacher.com/Product/De...ing&catid=1204

Thanks everyone for the input!

There are some other things to consider: Electric blankets, thermal underwear, sealing kits for windows and reversible ceiling fans to circulate heat downward in high-ceiling rooms. The fans can be installed in an hour or so and taken with you when you move.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    This one is really good - it heats our 12-foot high ceiling room very nicely:
    http://beta.hammacher.com/Product/De...ing&catid=1204

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a heater for my downstairs. This looks perfect!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    There are some other things to consider: Electric blankets, thermal underwear, sealing kits for windows and reversible ceiling fans to circulate heat downward in high-ceiling rooms. The fans can be installed in an hour or so and taken with you when you move.
    We have all of the above, but I can't handle moving air directly on me so we don't use the fans. But our windows are sealed, long johns are used religiously and we have a heated throw that's between the flat sheet and the quilt.

That's how we've managed to not need a second heater until the end of December But the temp in the apartment has finally started dropping below 60 and that's cold for even me