The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I got myself some winter boots and a spa certificate from hubby, plus some champagne.
    From my kids, I got two sets of beautiful earrings, the last Maeve Binchy book I really wanted, a dvd of Les Miz, some Smartwool socks and lots of other stuff. I also got a Downton Abbey book.

My DD got really spoiled though! Horse stuff, warm clothes, a bottle of cider I got in Quebec, books, etc...

I love anything kitchen related.

My SO and I didn't do presents this year. That's really fine with me since we will gift each other through out the year if we find something special/really wanted. My SO got me a generator last year because he knows I'm freaked out about not having power. He also got me a manual powered log splitter one year that makes most people go, "huh?", but I love it.

2 members found this post helpful.

It's kind of funny. One of the best gifts this year is that my in-laws have finally got the message that I really don't need or want stuff. I've got all the kitchen appliances I need. I'm well past the age where I feel the need to decorate my living space with pictures of Arab horses running through the surf or little kittens snuggling with little puppies. I got a couple of Xmas ornaments; that's it from that side of the family. I hung them on the tree, where they will stay until I pack them away with the rest of the ornaments next week. Yay!

My best gift came from my pony, who amazingly survived a very serious colic without surgery. The vet said he had about a 2% chance of making it without surgery. I can't afford the surgery, so we gave him 24 hours of at home treatment, and somehow he pulled through. I was very happy to be able to go to the barn today, stick my nose in his mane, and take a deep whiff of that wonderful horse smell.

From the people in my life, I got a new andoid notebook, a gps so I can get unlost when I lose myself in the woods on horseback, cash (to pay the vet bill for aforementioned pony problems), new jammies, and a bag of chex mix made especially for me by my mom (no one makes it any better!). Oh, and a turqoise necklace and a few other stocking kind of things.

I had a good Christmas. I am blessed by having some of the best friends and family someone can ask for. They don't come better, that's for sure....

Eric Church tickets. Two attachments for my kitchenaid stand mixer (ice cream maker and the pasta maker). A nice bathrobe and a new heavy weight blankt with matching hood for my horse. Yes I was spoiled this year, but my favourite gift was spending our first Christmas in our new house.

1 members found this post helpful.

Besides the fact that I was able to spend the day with my family (and that seems extra special this year as I have a friend dying of cancer, another that just had a double mastectomy and a family member just diagnosed with cancer), I received two very special and memorable gifts.

My 16 year old daughter made me a quilt all by herself. It is beautiful and something I will always treasure!

In the midst of gift opening, I opened a picture frame from my husband. Thinking it was a pretty frame, and pondering what photo I might put into it, I took it out of the box to discover a photo of my young stallion hitched to a cart, with my husband driving. I was so confused at first -- it was hard to register WHAT I was even seeing!!! It turns out that my husband secretly spent the last month training our boy as my Christmas gift!!!

He had parked our pickup in such a way to block the view to where he was working him, and really, at this time of year and the awful weather we've been having, I haven't been out there as much as I might normally be -- and he was able to pull it off without me having ANY clue!

I think I'm going to go ahead and keep him.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

11 members found this post helpful.

My boyfriend and I don't go crazy with gifts, really, but this year he gave me a record player that allows me to burn records to my computer. It's nice, because I can now finally play the Adele records that he bought me for my birthday this year. He also bought me a bunch of wine. I'm not entirely sure when he thinks I'm going to drink said wine. Maybe he thinks I come home at night stressed out from my job and really booze it up! But yeah...I'm not going to be running out of THAT for a while.

His final gift to me, and probably my favorite, was a Sheldon Cooper bobblehead.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

After 10 years of wanting them and 4 years trying to justify buying them myself, my parents and grandma got me Dubarry Boots!!

My Brother got me the Sims 3 Seasons expansion pack (love sims 3) and a card game called Zombie Fluxx which Sounds really interesting.
    The pooch and horse got me brown leather gloves for the car and dog walking.

And my other brothers family, although thoughtful they got me a necklace and earrings set that's kinda cheap quality, and I have super sensitive ears so I can't even wear the earrings.

"Santa" got the family Electronic strabble catch phrase. Made for an excellant and eventful evening after dinner.

I really ended up with a lot this year. My parents/family got me everything I put on my list, which I did not expect. I tried to list a variety of price points so people could pick! But a lot of it was things I would need to buy anyway because the ones I have are worn out or broken. So I am very grateful!

$375 (much of this will go toward my cat's needed dental cleaning)
    $15 Subway Gift Card
    camera strap
    camera lens cloths
    Ariat Terrain H20s
    baking sheets
    2 skillets
    bathtowel set
    measuring cups & spoons
    Devon Aire X-Wear breeches
    Kerrits Ventilator
    1 TB external hard drive
    Top Gear season 17 & 18 DVDs
    saddle ornament
    2 horse calendars (big & small)
    horse ornament

Stig T-shirt
    3 pairs fuzzy socks
    Stig alarm clock
    purple comforter
    purple blanket
    3 purple throw pillows
    ice scraper
    treats & cat toys

shower gels
    chocolate

I got a huge gift certificate to the local feed & farm supply store!!! Non-horsey people do not understand the excitement that comes from getting something like that but I couldn't be happier

Also got a few small things, plus some that are edible- YAY!

3 members found this post helpful.

It's funny, I didn't want much/anything this year and got more than I could have asked for. My husband got me Dublin boots(he and I split them) and diamond earrings (complete surprise). My mom got me a kindle fire and digital photo frame and a wine rack. The in laws gave me clothes and Christmas stuff. way more than expected or needed.

Now I'm enjoying time off from work until New Year's.

It's been a tough year - last year, Christmas Day, my fatherinlaw (who has Alzheimer's) got very ill - and everything went downhill from there.
    Both of my husband's parents were very ill, and we were their primary caregivers. His dad went into a nursing home and his mum died - so this was a very emotional and difficult Christmas for my husband.
    I didn't want or need any gifts, the thing I wanted most was for my husband to be able to get through it all.
    We spent time together, went to the Messiah, volunteered at two homeless shelters, and tried to keep things as low-key and positive as we could.

In spite of our much-repeated instructions to one another that we did not need any Christmas gifts - of course we both got little things for the other.
    My favourite thing that I received was a 'Tea's Made' - which he bought off ebay and had shipped from England.
    It's an odd little thing that I have always had a 'thing' for.

I am grateful for the love and support of my husband and my friends and family, and I am looking forward to and hoping for, a better 2013.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

A dozen arrows in a gallon mason jar with a blue bow that my husband tied himself! A target for said arrows, gift certificate to the feed store, he knows me well.

Best of all, a giant antique candy jar and ten pounds, yes pounds, of Zots! My favorite candy that is so very difficult to find.

We had a great year. Having a LO makes it so much more fun! She was a hoot in all the wrapping paper.

DH surprised me with a beautiful necklace with DD's birthstone, and a few more thoughtful charms for my Pandora.

I gifted him with one of those super military style watches that does a million things, including, I'm sure, launch space crafts, change the moon's orbit, and control the weather.

My favorite thing, though, was being able to open our home to the sweetest dude ever, our new puppy Jaxson. The look on his face makes my heart happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Husband and I exchanged only cards this year, my greatest gift was my son not being in the hospital this year for Christmas although he tried really hard, his target date was slightly off. My lovely parents got me a nicked sized gift card and I'm thinking about asking hubby if I can adopt a kitten and get kitty stuff with it.

It sounds like most of you had a pretty good Xmas!

I haven't done Christmas yet. My husband was home with his family so we've still got our gifts under our tree. I sent the kids' gifts and the gifts for the rest of the family, but hubby and I haven't exchanged gifts and I haven't opened the stuff my mom sent.

I was really excited about what we got Mom this year and was happy to hear that she loved it.

My youngest bro called yesterday and started out by saying that he's really sorry, but he hasn't shopped for us yet. (he's been out of town) Well...funny, I hadn't gotten anything for him yet either so our Xmas gift to each other is to call it good and next year, I'm going to organize the gift exchange so that we're not all trying to buy expensive gifts for everyone. He was so relieved. He's such a great gift giver, but money has been tight. Just hearing the relief in his voice was a good gift. I like hearing him NOT worried!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

It was discussed pre-Christmas that there would be no exchanging of gifts this year in my household - so imagine my surprise when I opened up a new iPad from "Santa" yesterday morning!!!!!

That Santa, he's so sneaky.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Got a stellar gift from a friend - Season 2 of Red Dwarf. Still waiting for warmer weather to sort out the rest, it's 30 below this morning so the barn is the farthest I will venture.
    Best gift was from a cat and just given right now!! Hissy the Hesitant finally decided I was not going to kill her if she came and sat by me. This happened a week ago (she is 8 or so and was truly wild for the first few years) and this morning, just as I read this thread, she parked herself beside me, rubbed my arm a bit then stretched out and started purring - never heard her make THAT sound before.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    Best gift was from a cat and just given right now!! Hissy the Hesitant finally decided I was not going to kill her if she came and sat by me. This happened a week ago (she is 8 or so and was truly wild for the first few years) and this morning, just as I read this thread, she parked herself beside me, rubbed my arm a bit then stretched out and started purring - never heard her make THAT sound before.
    It's a Christmas Miracle!!!!!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Husband got me (hasn't arrived yet though) the Horseware Team Ireland rain jacket, a dachshund locket with pictures of my two dachsies in it, another gorgeous necklace, pair of dachshund socks, and a set of cute hand-painted dachshund tile coasters (really, he just typed "dachshund" into Etsy). Family got me ceramic glove liners, a new 1984 sweatshirt from Out of Print, a "Where's my f-ing pony?" mug (pictured on another thread), a bath pillow, and a bunch of other little fun trinkets. I'm buying myself a new helmet. (: