The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Pikeur Knee patch breeches

Soooo, I still have and love my pikeur breeches, but I have gained weight and would like to get another show pair.

I have yet to find any other brand that lasts and I love pikeurs material, so I feel it is worth the investment.

Here are my questions, in the us based tack stores they are all over $300, but some Europe based stores have them for $200. Is there a catch?

Also, if I get the size in a long, will the crotch be longer? I still am not loving the low rise phenomenon.

And last but not least, I wear a size ten in jeans, what size do I order since the sizing is not in us?

Do they have a knee patch breech with front pockets that aren't low rise?

Not a catch—they're just cheaper over there. It's great.

I don't wear longs regularly (I'm only 5'6") or so, but I had a 30L pair of Ciaras that only seemed to be longer in the leg, not in the crotch at all.

As for your size, what size do you wear in breeches? A US30 is a UK28 and a European 42 for reference. It's hard to go by jean size.

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

The pikeur Ciara's I have now are a size 40 , but they are super tight in the crotch.

I would also like to move in them, at least a little!

I rode for a living for a few years, took a few years off and well, added 10 pounds. ;(

Original Poster

Anyone have the Meredith II breeches? They look similar to Ciara but a higher waist.

Do you think going up one size will suffice, or should I go up 2 sizes?

I found them for about $210 with shipping, instead of $300 over here!

Amira sells the Meredith II's for $185 shipped (http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/..._Meredith.html), so $210 is not that much of a steal.

Based on what you've said, I'd only go up one size, not two.

Wouldn't you rather support a local tack store and pay a little extra that way if you do have a problem with them you can get them exchanged. Had a friend buy hers from Europe and the fabric puckered a little after they were washed a few times and they wouldn't help her out ended up costing her more in the long run.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementgrl2 View Post
    Wouldn't you rather support a local tack store and pay a little extra that way if you do have a problem with them you can get them exchanged. Had a friend buy hers from Europe and the fabric puckered a little after they were washed a few times and they wouldn't help her out ended up costing her more in the long run.
    Honestly, I save about $100 per pair buying them from Europe. I seriously cannot afford to buy them here anymore. If my tack shop would price match, I'd gladly buy them here, but they can't and I don't expect them to. (I also wouldn't expect breeches to be exchanged for a little fabric puckering—it happens.)

Original Poster

Your right! They are 185.

Have you tried that style before?

I saw a few others I liked, but they don't come in any sort of tan color.

So I am limited, but it's still better then paying $350 here!

I rarely use Local tack shops, especially when I can save more then 30 percent buying online.

Sorry, but I have 4 horses, chickens, dogs and myself to feed before I can even buy stuff for myself!

I haven't, but they look nice.

If you're buying them for show, safari is the only color I've ever found acceptable, but they might have come out with new colors since I last really looked.

I LOVE Pikeur and have bought three times now from Ooteman Paardensport (google it) with excellent results. I wear a 6/8 US and bought 42-44 depending on style and availability. And no, I would not prefer to pay double to support my local business. Tell them to price things competitively and I will be happy to buy there.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com