The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tie Back surgery

I have tried to use the Search method here but nothing comes up.
    I just had my OTTB go through the Tie Back Surgery to help in his breathing while jumping. I had notice when he was jumping higher and traveling on longer courses he seemed to be having trouble breathing and keeping his head down, then the rails started coming down.
    This is my first experience with this type of surgery.
    Recovery is going very well. 1 more week of stall rest and then into a small paddock for 3 weeks and then back to riding.
    If you had this done to your horse please let me know how it went for you.
    Anything special you did to help the recovery and let him know when he starts back working he will be able to breath better.
    "An ordinary trainer cannot hear a Horse speak, a Good trainer can, a Great trainer can hear them whisper and a Top Trainer can HEAR them Think." John O'Leary

Default Did you have the laser version done...

I have a TB stallion, I just got and he is going to need a redo of tie back surgery. I was just wondering if you had the laser version done, I have heard it lasts longer or even permanent while the traditional version has to be redone after awhile..

You can PM me if you like...

Thanks
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

I had it done on my big guy 3 years ago March, it worked great...I did a ton of research and got several recommendations. I actually had two vets recommend the same vet at Purdue, and told me if he wasn't available to wait, and I did. It was stressed over and over that the recovery process was the most important. 30 days stall rest, and another 30 days with no work, but he could be turned out. If you want more details let me know.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, we were told the same thing take it slow. He had his surgery done in Ocala. The one thing our vet told us you find a surgeron who can do this by feel and does one a day if possible. The staples come out Jan. 11th. But I have noticed he does not cough anymore while eating his hay.
    I am looking forward to jumping him again to see how his reaction will be.
    "An ordinary trainer cannot hear a Horse speak, a Good trainer can, a Great trainer can hear them whisper and a Top Trainer can HEAR them Think." John O'Leary

My Hanoverian gelding had the procedure nearly 2 years ago (he's now 7). We found the best (and most experienced for that specific surgery) vet in the area, and he did a great job. Took it *very* slowly with recovery, and since I was deployed to Afg at the time, his prescribed time off turned into several more months off. But, when horsie returned to work, he was much quieter sounding, and seemed happier. We had him scoped a few months ago, just for follow-up, and our vet remarked he looked great. He's sensitive to dust (don't sweep near him when he's in Xties or it'll make him cough) but he doesn't cough during work or eating. Vet recommended he eat hay off the ground, and now the only time he eats at chest level is from a hay net on long trailer rides. I'm very pleased with the results of the procedure, and it was well worth it. Feel free to PM with with specific questions.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Thank you ElementFarm thats what I wanted to hear. We have always fed hay off the ground. So it wasn't anything new to him. Well I am looking forward to a new start with my TB.