The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Which do you prefer: 7" Tablet (if so, what kind), Nook Tablet HD, or Kindle Fire?...

I'm looking for something that will read books, but will also do Internet, email, and it would be GREAT if it would play Netflix too. I'd love to stay around $200 give or take. I'd like to stay around 7", as I like the portability of that size.

SO, which do you like best and why?..

Like my kindle fire, really love my Kindle Fire HD 8.9
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

1 members found this post helpful.

I really like my original Kindle Fire. FWIW, my friends who have Nooks liked them initially but wish in retrospect that they had gone with Kindle. Barnes and Noble isn't very interested in supporting them long-term. If you have the money, go for the Kindle Fire HD!

Love my Fire, and gave one to my nephew for Christmas. He needed something for all the tasks you do, Freebird, and he is beyond thrilled-not easy to do with a 23 yr old young man, believe me! I love it for reading- I have a cover that lets me prop it just right so that I can read myself to sleep without worrying about turning a light off. I just lock the screen and lower the brightness and read until I drift off. Its super.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I like my Fire (it's the first gen). Amazon does have great support . Web browsing is a little annoying to me with it (slow) but it plays streaming content well. You have to have an amazon account with an associated payment method to download stuff, even free apps, just FYI.

I have a bigger Asus tablet plus a laptop and desktop from the same company. Whatever 7 inch tab they make is probably worth a look.

Why does it hate paragraphs?
    Last edited by Astraled; Dec. 26, 2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: stupid spacing
    Still Crazy After All These Years

I'm an apple girl myself, but I bought my Dad a Nexus 7 for Christmas. I played on it some and it seems really nice.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I've owned my Kindle Fire HD for a month now. I love it! The picture quality is awesome. I can read books at work now without carting around books and adding more junk to my car. I don't really have any complaints. Internet and everything else works quickly and just fine for me.

I just got my Kindle Fire last week, so take this for what its worth, but I LOVE it!! It took a bit to get used to and figure out (NO instructionsd?!?!?!) but, once I did its great!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Like my kindle fire, really love my Kindle Fire HD

Same here!!

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. I love mine, even my 2 cats and the JRT love it (cat games app >.>).
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I love my Kindle Fire. Before I bought it, I did the research and the differences between the Kindle Fire and iPad were size (now that I have the kindle, I like the smaller size better -more transportable), battery life and lack of camera in the kindle.

The new Kindle Fire HD has a forward facing camera (skyping abilities are very important where I am right now), same or longer batter life and two size options.

Except for Apps that are exclusive to the iPad, it can do everything the iPad can do. I understand the older iPads you can get refurbished for about the same price as a new Kindle, but I really like my Kindle. It is about half the price of a new iPad.

Really like my kindle vs. I suck typing on it, though.

EDITED to add... I guess the kindle has an auto correct feature. I have no idea where that "vs." above came from. LOL!
    Last edited by alabama; Dec. 26, 2012 at 06:00 PM.

If you're going with a 7" tablet, then go with the Nexus 7. It had been widely hailed as the best 7" tablet on the market.

I am about to buy the Nexus 7. Everything I've read has backed up this choice. It does everything the Kindle Fire does but does it faster with a better display in a slightly lighter case, all for the same price.