The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Back to school!

I've decided that for the New Year, I'm going back to school.

I started a degree, then came home and had to work to feed myself and never went back. I WANT to get a degree eventually, even if it's just an associates, and would love to be a large or small animal vet tech.

My plan is to get my basic credits out of the way via online courses, then (hopefully) apply to a program for the hands on stuff.

Anybody else going back to school this year? I'm excited!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Congrats! I'm "going back" in that Winter/Spring semester starts Jan 14th LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Glade that you are excited about wanting to return to school... but the rain on the parade is .. you need to look at the cost of the education verses the expected wages to be earned... and you might see that the cost of a degree specializing in Vet Tech work cannot be earned back

Before jumping in, take a careful look then proceed

Congratulations! Doing classes online really helps. I don't know if you'd be at all interested, but you could look into being an educational interpreter (sign language). It is a portable degree and you would be on a school year schedule....more time to ride after work and during the summer.

Twotru- Whoot! I read your MBA post. You go girl!

Clanter- I know, I really don't have to work, as we are pretty comfortable with DH being the sole provider (and will be for the next 21 or so years). I want to get a degree in something that I know I will enjoy, and be good at. I attempted community college, for an accounting degree, and hated every. single. moment.

I first, wanted to be a LEO, and get a bachelor's in Criminal Justice, but with DH's career moving us every two years, it's not a feasible career. I'm much better with animals anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Hated accounting!!?? LOL!!!

One of my profs is the CFO for a large animal rescue group. It's a national state run one. She does that full time and teaches as well.

The vet tech does not pay well but you can get the cert through community college. Have you thought about administration? They run the show.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Consider online schools like Univ. of MD, or Troy. Maryland gives Military family members in state tuition, and many other schools do this also. And you might get an on post job with the base vet, because of spouse preference, and because you will be qualified. Some posts like Carson are actually regional vet centers (or were), and have a large staff. And some of the large boarding/doggy day care places love to hire people with vet tech credentials.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I went back two years ago! I was super nervous throughout the holidays leading up to the start date. Nervous and a little excited, since it was something I'd wanted to do for about five years before I finally pulled the trigger and did it.

So, congrats on going back! I'm enjoying school way more now than I did before. It's been a great experience and I'm almost at the point of looking forward to next term...almost but not quite! Last semester kicked my a$$ and I'm still recovering!

I went back this year. Just finished my first semester back a couple weeks ago. Didn't go back to increase earning potential, although that would be a nice benefit. I went back because I wanted to. I dropped out of Oregon State because I couldn't afford it, and I felt dissapointed with myself for years.

If you want to go back to school, go for it! While there is merit in what Clanter said about earning back the cost of your education, there is also merit in pursuing something that interests you and that you will be happy having a career in, even if you won't make the most money at it.

There are many great online programs now that are affiliated with REAL schools. Wherever you choose to go make sure it is an accredited school so that your credits will transfer if you change schools.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Wild Maple Designs - Equestrian inspired apparel.

Good for you! I'm applying for my third Bachelors (this one for Creative Writing) for Fall 2013 -- with the credits I already have, I hope to finish it in a year. Then on to grad school again.

To make things cheaper on yourself, you might want to get all your pre-reqs out of the way at a community college -- they're MUCH cheaper than a four-year, and a lot of them are offering complete degrees online, not just a few basics.

University College is an expensive way to go, if you're not a MD resident. Check out your local state schools first.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

There are several quite decent mainly on-line vet tech programs.
    One of them is at Purdue.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Yep, back to school next month after persistent pestering by my husband. I'm really not looking forward to it but he's right...I need to be "marketable" for when my military exit comes. I'm one of those people that has the smarts and ability but absolutely no drive. Especially for something my heart isn't into and I haven't found that something yet, except horses which we all know that's a dead end without the years of experience.

As an adult that entered college in her 30's I say, way to go!

I just finished my BA in Art History and now I am going to finish my BA in Anthro. Not quite sure what I am going to do yet, I have some things lined up on the horizon.