The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I have a feeling our society is going the way of the Idiocracy movie

Sigh. Lack of spelling, handwriting, math skills, and the ability to speak properly make me feel as though our society is going to be populated by idiots soon.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    Sigh. Lack of spelling, handwriting, math skills, and the ability to speak properly make me feel as though our society is going to be populated by idiots soon.
    Duh?

Soon? It already is, and too many of them are inside the DC Beltway.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

4 members found this post helpful.

This may be unpopular to say. I have two techie family members and many friends, and as a group I think they lack social skills. They don't know how to say thank you or show appreciation for that matter; never participate in a conversation unless you ask them something directly. My sister is married to one and she will go out with friends and other couples and he will stay at home. Several friends have a basic uniform they wear of jeans, black t-shirt or hoodie and jean jacket - what is with that? Put some color in your life. Sometimes I think they would rather sit in a room with a computer than get out and participate in the real world.

Naturally I don't want to paint them all with a broad brush, but I seem to be a magnet to them. I have a very outgoing personality, it could be opposite attract.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

2 members found this post helpful.

My pet peeve is people who send e-mails (even inquiring about board!) that contain no caps or punctuation. As if they were going to faint if they made that much effort . . .

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    This may be unpopular to say. I have two techie family members and many friends, and as a group I think they lack social skills. They don't know how to say thank you or show appreciation for that matter; never participate in a conversation unless you ask them something directly. My sister is married to one and she will go out with friends and other couples and he will stay at home. Several friends have a basic uniform they wear of jeans, black t-shirt or hoodie and jean jacket - what is with that? Put some color in your life. Sometimes I think they would rather sit in a room with a computer than get out and participate in the real world.

Naturally I don't want to paint them all with a broad brush, but I seem to be a magnet to them. I have a very outgoing personality, it could be opposite attract.
    Sounds like typical Aspergers to me. I'm quite the same way, though it's gotten better the past few years. I've never had a lot of friends or some well in social situations. As a child at, say, a birthday party I would inevitably end up hanging around with the adults and having intelligent conversations with them. Never had much in common with my peers.

As to the OP, we're already there. The productive intelligent citizens in this country are waiting longer to have kids, if they have them at all, while the non-productive, room temperature IQ crowd are breeding like rabbits. And the idiotic liberal welfare policies not only encourage them, but subsidize them as well. We PAY them to breed. Insanity.

From the movie, there was a tv show in Idiocracy called "Ow my balls". We've had that one for twenty years, it's called America's funniest home videos. I don't know what the solution is, or if it can even be fixed at this point. We're nearly at a tipping point where the producers are being outnumbered by the parasites. It's utterly unsustainable.

4 members found this post helpful.

I've been thinking about that fairly often since seeing that movie.

1 members found this post helpful.