The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    I know, right! But I've heard of it happening and it gives me the icky quivers.

2 members found this post helpful.

This really happened to me. Our kitten, Chunky, died in the dryer. It was one of the worst days in my life. My two yr old grandson was with me that day. Terrible terrible day. I remember carrying Chunky out of the house, crying, and meeting the mailman walking up my walkway. HE thought me crying over the kitten was foolish. One of those times when you lose MORE faith in humanity.

Here's a question.....how does everyone get all the liquid detergent out of the little measuring cup?

Prior to a couple of years ago I had a standard issue top load washer, not HE, with an agitator and a non-locking lid. To wash clothes, I started the water, lifted the lid, poured in the detergent, then held the little cup under the running water to rinse all the soap out. I could also add bleach directly to the water and let it dilute before I threw in the towels.

Now I have a HE top load washer and dryer. LOVE the dryer - it takes probably 1/4 the time to dry a load of towels. HATE the washer - I don't use the HE settings because I actually like my clothes to get WET when I wash them so I don't think I'm getting any of the energy saving benefits. Can't use the bleach dispenser because it leaks into the tub as you pour in the bleach and, of course, there's no water in the tub to dilute it because you can't start the water until you close the silly lid. But most annoying of all, how do I rinse out the detergent cup? I do have a utility sink in the laundry room but it seems so wasteful to wash all that soap clinging to the cup down the drain when it should be going in with the clothes. So I end up wiping it out with my finger into the tub.

Quote Originally Posted by WaningMoon View Post
    This really happened to me. Our kitten, Chunky, died in the dryer. It was one of the worst days in my life. My two yr old grandson was with me that day. Terrible terrible day. I remember carrying Chunky out of the house, crying, and meeting the mailman walking up my walkway. HE thought me crying over the kitten was foolish. One of those times when you lose MORE faith in humanity.
    So sad. And your mailman - what a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by SlabSided View Post
    Here's a question.....how does everyone get all the liquid detergent out of the little measuring cup?
    I just throw the cup in the washer with the clothes. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I just throw the cup in the washer with the clothes. LOL!
    Oh my dog....I never thought of that! You are my new hero.

The only place to put my washer and dryer besides the basement (and I hate my spidery, cold and damp basement) is a very small 9' X 9' bedroom on the first floor. Because it's the only bedroom on the first floor, I have a single bed in there, and a closet. That leaves me with only room to stack my washer and dryer, so, front loader it has to be.

I have a Frigidaire set that is about ten years old and I really like it. Because they're stacked, I can't use the pedestals, but, I don't find the minimal bending and lifting I have to do to get the clothes out of the washer and into the dryer a chore at all. It won't do heavy blankets, but I'd rather spend the money having someone else do that and save the wear and tear on the machine anyways. My clothes come very clean. When this set bites the dust, I'll go for another Frigidaire set with no hesitation.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I think I'm in love with Speed Queen. My local dealer is sold out...but the 2013's will be here Wednesday
    Hah! I was just getting ready to recommend SQ.

My Maytag gave up the ghost after 20 years. Went shopping for a new one and the sales guy was all about the HE ones --no middle agitator, spinning SO much faster, etc, clothes wash faster, dry faster etc etc etc.

When I asked him about durability, he said "well, you won't get 20 years out of them. Maybe 10." Hmmm ... less speed, fewer bells and whistles, please.

And he sold me a Speed Queen. 3 year warranty (everything else has a one-year warranty). Very plain jane, but I like it and it works fast enough for me.

The only drawback is that it's a little louder than my old Maytag. But my laundry room is in the basement, so not a big deal. But if yours is next to your kitchen, you'll want to close the door.

[QUOTE=Guin;My sister recommends the most basic, bare-bones Roper you can find. She also likes LOTS OF WATER and an agitator that can keep up with the dog beds and towels.[/QUOTE]

If you buy a Roper you are subsidizing a very nice Horse Show Dad and his hard working, riding daughters. Met them this fall.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com