The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Uh oh, TM, you said GE. I think Kat has problems with GE appliances - kitchen appliances but still...

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    Uh oh, TM, you said GE. I think Kat has problems with GE appliances - kitchen appliances but still...
    Yep, good friend of mine has a GE refrigerator that she despises!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I'm pretty sure Kat said she'd never speak to me again if I bought GE kitchen appliances. I was looking for a stove, microwave and dishwasher.

I'm pretty sure Kat said she'd never speak to me again if I bought GE kitchen appliances. I was looking for a stove, microwave and dishwasher.
    LOL it's true!! BUT ....

That's the kitchen

I am considering a GE Top Loader. GASP.

GE's in the kitchen are the devil!

Wasn't the thread about "My oven is locked and the chicken is roasting in there" thread about a GE stove? But I've never heard about problems with the washers.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Well no one has mentioned Speed Queen washer and dryers. My Speed Queen is about the simplest model, top loader, no extra options, uses an agitator in the tub. It has a stainless steel tub, HIGH spin revolution numbers, and holds a LOT. It also has about the best warrenty, 3yrs, on the motor included in the price.

With the stainless tub I never worry about getting dings from stuff I am washing. Holes are pretty small in the tub, so I don't get pocket junk down in the water exhaust. High spin revs make things more dry, so they take less time in the actual drier to finish drying.

With washing truly dirty things, farmer jeans, kid clothing, not suburb clothes, you need to use bigger quantities of water. The High Effiency type washers use less water, which doesn't remove dirt from the fabrics. Not enough to slosh thru the fabric and get the dirt loose and OUT in the wash. The HE washers also may need special soaps in them. Top loaders do use a bit more water per load, but they DO get the clothing clean, rinse well if you don't set water to a mimimum amount. I don't load the machine down with a BIG quantity of clothing per load either. This helps the water slosh around better for the better cloth cleaning. I only do 3 pair of Levi jeans, heavy fabric, at a time, water set at Large Load. Husband and I get Levis pretty filthy on a DAILY basis. More pairs in a load just doesn't get them clean. I can put 5-6 pairs of DD's very light fabric, fashion jeans in a load, they come out clean. One big horse blanket (84) in a load, comes out clean and nice. Two blankets doesn't allow any movement in the washer water, so you are wasting your time overloading with huge bulky amounts of fabric in a load.

I haven't been hearing much good about the front loaders here on COTH or from friends. Many add EXTRA water to their loads, because washer just won't get full enough to get clothes very clean, being HE. You have to leave the doors open when not in use to prevent smells. HE Soap is special, costs more in many places. I can't add anything once a load has started, or stop and reset a load already going in front loaders, like is possible with the top loaders.

Speed Queen has ALWAYS been very good quality in our family experience. My mom just replaced her 20 year old SQ washer and 30+ plus year SQ gas dryer that finally wore out. Other family members have equally old SQ appliances, working just fine for them.

I loved the great Speed Queen warrenty, stainless tub for all the odd stuff that goes thru the washing machine at our house. The Tedman harness parts get washed in there, washer does a way better job than hand wash or hosing it down!

I also have a Speed Queen dryer, but all horse items are HUNG UP to dry! No metal parts clanging in there!! Clothing, leg wraps, saddle pads, SOFT THINGS go thru the dryer. It is also a pretty good product. With those more modest size laundry loads, the dryer gets done faster. I usually do the timed dry, but it has other options on it. Again, the simple, least expensive model dryer, which has worked very well for us.

Check out the Speed Queens, a very over-looked brand with a good line of products.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Wasn't the thread about "My oven is locked and the chicken is roasting in there" thread about a GE stove? But I've never heard about problems with the washers.
    That thread ran through my head when I bought my GE dishwasher this fall...
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love my oversized GE top loader with the stainless steel tub and no agitator. The local appliance store recommends it to people who wash horse blankets because it is tough and there is no agitator to rip leg straps. Mine is about 5 years old, and so far, so good. I don't remember the model number.

My parents and uncle have had the whirlpool duet washer and dryer for several years and both have had serious problems with them. My parents had to replace the control panel and the main computer on the washer twice and the drain near the door is so large that it sucks up socks, money, paper, underwear, etc and burns out the pump. My uncle had his crap out with a full load in the washer. The computer just took a crap and the door wouldn't release. It was a treat having to be the one to crawl underneath the machine and find the door lock release handle and have your uncle open the machine door above you allowing moldy dirty laundry water to run out all over your torso. Needless to say, I HATE those machines.

I think I just realized why mom mom hates our washing machine so much: it doesn't let you pick the load size, it has a sensor so you can't control how much water goes in. I may only have 3 pairs of pants in there, but they could be filthy, and there's no way for the washing machine to know that. So I'd be wary of machines with sensors like that (oh goodness do I sound like I think it's coming alive) without doing research about the specific model.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

1 members found this post helpful.

I am seriously interested in the Speed Queen. I don't like this disposable trend that's come into play in the last ___ years. Our GE Profile kitchen appliances were trashed in less than 5 years- and we're too adults, no kids, but they were window dressing, they weren't really supposed to be used. So far the Frigidaire replacements are holding up- I hate the dishwasher a little- the bottom of the flatware basket is roughly as sturdy as a hummingbird's nest or perhaps, the dried spittle of a bumblebee. Other than that, so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    i need model numbers and names, people! LOL

The Oasis I have now is a top loader, no agitator, HE, machine. I hate that sucker with a running passion. It doesn't get things clean, it loves to beepbeepbeep I'm unbalanced....bite me, washer, BITE ME.
    Here is the one I have: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...8#.UNy7RG-ADig

The additional cycles of steam sanitary and allergen with this model are very nice for getting pet hair out of human and pet bedding. I have washed my saddle pads in it and they came out very nice. I probably won't run the horses sheets through it though, just continue using my water trough and pipe rail system.

We bought ours at place in the KC area that had it in stock and had a better price than Home Depot. To get it at Home Depot was going to require waiting over a week for them to ship it up from Texas. We bought the dryer that makes the set and I love it too. I was veeeery leary of a HE machine but I could not be more pleased. Plus, this is so much less water from the washing machine running into our laundry septic line.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    It plays a cute little tune at the end of the cycles, too.
    The Trout by Franz Schubert ;-) I had to sing this song in high school! A friend of mine bought this particular washer so, when I visited her, she had to run her machine just so that I could hear it, lol.

I think I'm in love with Speed Queen. My local dealer is sold out...but the 2013's will be here Wednesday

I refuse to buy a washing machine that is 1) front loader, 2) no agitator, 3) "HE" or "energy efficient." I want LOTS OF WATER and an agitator that scrubs the dirty clothing! Two years ago I bought a Whirlpool WTW4800X from Sears and am happy with it. It does have a smaller capacity than my previous Maytag, but that one died at an early age, so I don't care.

My sister recommends the most basic, bare-bones Roper you can find. She also likes LOTS OF WATER and an agitator that can keep up with the dog beds and towels.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Not new - but we have a Maytag dryer & top-loading washer that we bought new back in 1994. Both are still going strong, top-notch performance, & have yet to require any sort of repair.
    I purchased a Maytag washer and dryer right about that same time and they have been fabulous. I did have to replace the heating element in the dryer once, but that's it. Every time DH suggests getting new ones I nip that thought in the bud. I hope they continue to last as long as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I want a top loader, I'm put off by the work of a front loader. DH tends to leave change in his various pockets, and our current top loader allows that money to slip out of the washer into the big plastic drum...where it will reside forever as there is NO way to retrieve it w/o completely disassembling the damn thing.

I should walk around Lowe's with a quarter
    Well, our 18 y/o Maytag finally died and I had my heart set on a new frontloader. But, when I visited Home Depot and started to look around, I realized that a frontloader for me would be a hassle in that I would probably have a hard time getting all the clothes out. So, I chose a Samsung top load with a 4.5 cubic foot tub. Larger than many of the frontloaders but with a comparable price. I looked at the LG's that my parents bought (frontloader) but the pedestal for each unit is $299. Add the $999 ea. sticker price and I said forget it. The one I purchased was $798 with 10% off.
    Here is the SKU - 0000-953-161. Don't know what that means but hope it helps. Oh, here we go...http://cache.vendaria.com/integratio..._1999478994001

It will be delivered tomorrow.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

Does anyone else have nightmares about washing/drying a cat? I always had a stacked washer/dryer until it died three years ago. The washer was top load so I didn't worry about the cats and the dryer was at about shoulder level - cats weren't getting in there.

With my new set, I constantly worry that I'm going to dry a cat.

I have a Samsung WF210 front loader HE machine and I despise it. It doesn't get clothes clean. I have to wash everything twice to get the soap rinsed out (I only add about a tablespoon or so). It doesn't use enough water. Horse hair and cat hair isn't washed away, instead it balls up into little felt balls that I have to pick off by hand. My saddle pads don't even get completely wet, let alone clean.

I have a bucket that sits in the laundry sink and I add several gallons of water to every load. I can't wait until I can justify/afford to get rid of this POS.

Does anyone else have nightmares about washing/drying a cat? I always had a stacked washer/dryer until it died three years ago. The washer was top load so I didn't worry about the cats and the dryer was at about shoulder level - cats weren't getting in there.

With my new set, I constantly worry that I'm going to dry a cat.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon