The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Washing Machines: Who has a new one they really, really like?

I have a Kenmore Elite Oasis that is an Oasis from Sanity and a test of patience. If you believe in gun control, you don't own this tool.

I would like to replace it with either a traditional top loader with an agitator (as an agitator myself, I feel a certain kinship) or a front loader for blankets,etc. Budget is 1K or a lot less. It's just DH and I but he's got a Dirty Job and Horses are Dirty by Default.

Suggestions??

I like my GE, but of course I can't find the paper work to tell you which model. I'll look again tomorrow. It's a large capacity, top load. Has an agitator, and stainless steel tub. I've only had it since June, so haven't washed any blankets yet, but have washed quite a few saddle pads. It does as good a job on them as my old Kenmore, which I loved (now I think mainly for it's longevity ). Just 2 of us also, but like you we're not foo-foo people. I got it at Lowes, and it was about 600.00. I looked at Consumer Reports and found a GE that I went specifically to get, but ended up with this one (about $100 more), mainly because it had a delicate cycle which the cheaper one did not.

Speaking of foo-foo. A couple of those type friends are the only people I know that like the front loaders. One has a house keeper, and the other is just a fastidious person who's husband has a desk job, and their kids are grown and gone.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I don't know of any that are particularly good, I would just say STAY AWAY from high efficiency washing machines. They don't use as much water/energy, but they don't work very well. We just got one this past year, and it's terrible. We had heard that they were not highly efficient in terms of how well they clean, but that was all the store carried at the time in our budget. I can't even clean my polo wraps or saddle pads in it, they come out still covered in hair. Sorry I don't have any specific recommendations for machines.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

1 members found this post helpful.

Gosh, I have an LG Front load HE washer and love it. Very versatile for the various types of loads I wash and I have no problem with it cleaning the horses saddle pads. I don't plan on running their blankets or sheets through it though it washes my King and Queen size bed spreads with no problems.

Mine are not new, they are 2004 vintage. But, they are awesome. Bosch Nexxt front loaders. I put all kinds of boy and dog laundry into them, plus horse clothing...anything short of a very heavy winter blanket is doable. Poopy sheets and mid-weights are no problem. They've had an issue or two over the years, but they've all been fixable by us, not requiring a service call. I Google the problem, get the answer, we fix it ourselves, all done. They are pretty straight foward machines.

I really LOVE my Bosch Front Loader. It works so much better than any washer I used before and gets really dirty cloths nice and clean. I would recommend it.

i need model numbers and names, people! LOL

The Oasis I have now is a top loader, no agitator, HE, machine. I hate that sucker with a running passion. It doesn't get things clean, it loves to beepbeepbeep I'm unbalanced....bite me, washer, BITE ME.

Not new - but we have a Maytag dryer & top-loading washer that we bought new back in 1994. Both are still going strong, top-notch performance, & have yet to require any sort of repair.

That is not useful data, Bacardi, when I'm shopping 18 years later LOL...

Its not new, but our front loader (I want to say its Kenmore he3?) Is fabulous. Filthy jeans, jackets, carhartts, horse blankets, etc etc are no match for that bad boy! Lol

When I first moved here, I didn't even know clothes and stuff could get that clean!

I'm just not much help! My washer is 8 years old...I don't know what the current model Bosch is . Siemens is pretty much the same thing. I see some bad reviews of the Bosch washers, but I've decided the folks doing them are helpless or something, because they complain about the same things I've encountered, but they couldn't figure out what to do about it. When we come across a problem, we research it, find the answer and fix it. It's always been something dumb, like there was a stick and a plastic soldier and some pebbles and some hay stuck in the drain outlet. So, we take enough apart to get at that, drain it, remove the crap and start it back up. IMO, it if can be self-serviced, it's a good machine! Washers aren't meant to put the stuff we put through it in there, so if they survive that, with some maintenance, but without a part replacement, they are A-OK in my book.

I just purchased a Kenmore 20022. It is a very no frills washer, but it gets the job done. I bought it on Black Friday for $326 (including the tax). I did read the reviews before buying and you either love it or hate it. DH and I decided to buy it because of Sears 30 day return policy.

The most common thing people hate is that they say it takes too long for a load. I honestly can't really tell how much longer it takes than my old since I don't stand around and wait for it. Even if it does take longer, it is a good thing because the clothes come out really dry. My drying time has been cut it half!

My biggest gripe is that I can't add softener. All new machines come with a lid lock and this one is locked during the rinse cycle. I solved it by buying a $3 downy ball.

I love love love my new washer!!

I love my Whirlpool Cabrio set (washer and dryer) that I bought when I moved in my house - so under three years old. The washer is top load and will beep at you at the end of the wash, but it shuts up pretty quickly. Big capacity and good cleaning for me.
    Last edited by alabama; Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

I have a Samsung front loader (WF433BTGJWR) that I purchased new in April 2012. I have absolutely no complaints at all. Washes everything very well, very efficient, very very quiet.

I love my Samsung front loader.
    Quiet, efficient, good for barn clothes on the dairy here (pre wash is the hose outside, I have to admit!!), and good for delicate clothing, too.
    I really like the "pure" cycle for keeping it clean, set it and walk away. Like all front loaders, you should leave the door ajar after use. I keep a hand towel in the door so it won't close if it gets knocked.

It plays a cute little tune at the end of the cycles, too.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I have an LG front loader pair. They are high maintenance, and you need to leave the door open, and take the soap tray out to dry, or use chlorine tablets regularly to get rid of the smell (I have a septic tank, so no chlorine for me). You have to clean the filter on the washer every couple of months. And I use the permanent press setting on the washer, because if I use the regular setting it is always off balance and I dislike the thumping sounds it makes then. I have a big laundry room, so I can leave the front door open on the washer all of the time, so in a smaller house or one with a laundry closet it wouldn't work.

I like the dryer.

If I manage to sell this place I will leave them with the house, and buy top loaders for the next house. Top loaders are (usually) cheaper, and less maintenance, and most of the houses I've looked at don't have huge laundry rooms-you have to be careful here or the laundry room is in the garage, and I hate that.

One hint for everyone-about every six months take the dryer lint filter out, hold it flat under water and see if it pools. That's from soap additives, and dryer sheets. Run warm water, and scrub the filter with a brush. Invisible particles build up on the dryer lint filter, and can ruin the efficiency and ruin the dryer element.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I had a Maytag Neptune front loader that was awesome for 6 years and then totally sucked. I hated that like you hate yours.

I now have a Samsung top loader, no agitator, that I like quite well. No problems getting things clean, I can fit a heavyweight with a hood, saddle pads, etc. I would have to check as to the exact model number but I think they only have one top loading model.

I am sort of looking also, and have narrowed down to a top loader with no agitator. I posted on here before, and a couple people loved their Whirlpool Wave something-or-other. Samsung was a top choice for the fridge I just bought, so are their washers also top quality? I have heard enough about front loaders to avoid them, besides I am tall and stall cleaning is enough strain on my back.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I want a top loader, I'm put off by the work of a front loader. DH tends to leave change in his various pockets, and our current top loader allows that money to slip out of the washer into the big plastic drum...where it will reside forever as there is NO way to retrieve it w/o completely disassembling the damn thing.

I should walk around Lowe's with a quarter

Here's the one I have: http://www.lowes.com/pd_395165-83-GT...7C1&facetInfo=

One thing I LOVE about it is that it's NEVER gone off balance. My old Kenmore did more often than not I just washed a king sz. comforter in it for the 1st time. No problem.
    Last edited by Toadie's mom; Dec. 26, 2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: more info
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?