The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! Suddenly stinky armpits with various clothing, yuck!

OK I'm ticked! I have NOT in my entire lift had stinky armpits ever, though I do sweat a LOT (just not the stinky kind LOL). I always just used an antiperspirant and not a deodorant.

Well lately with assorted specific shirts and one jacket within wearing for an hour or so this typical stinky BO smell starts appearing out of nowhere. Shocks the heck out of me as I just don't smell. We're talking like fresh showered, put on deodorant/antiperspirant (after this issue started I switched to a brand which had both - Mitchum extra strength something or other), and an hour later BOOM here comes the stink.

If I remove the shirt without wearing for too long I discover that it's not my personal pits that smell at ALL, but the armpits of the shirt itself stink. If I am out and forced to continue to wear the offending shirt or jacket, when I get home my pits are now contaminated with the stink as well.

Geez it's gross and I am mortally embarrassed. I'm afraid to go out and lift my arms up in case it turns out to be one of *those* shirts. Also my pits are getting irritated and developing a rash from the scrubbing and reapplying of the deodorant.

I'm trying to sort out the offending shirts and I've given them a mega dose of Shout stain remover and Febreeze, and then washed, ditto the jacket. But doggone it if it doesn't come back again fresh out of the wash. Some of these shirts and especially the jacket I really like and don't want to toss, and I'm still mystified if it's me or if it's truly just the shirts. And I'm not sure if the jacket is an offender or just picking up the runoff from the shirts LOL.

I've just gone through menopause. Is this another of those speshul things you get along with chin hairs

Or do people just react with different clothing? Weird thing is some of these shirts I've had for years without this problem, it's just cropped up in the last 3 months or so.

Help please!!

Borax. That's weird though, all of a sudden. New diet, new meds, new anything?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Borax? Is that a laundry soap or spray or how do I use it? And yes it's weird as I don't think anything with me has personally changed other than the menopause thing. Ugh!

Are the shirts that stink synthetic or technical fabrics? They tend to be THE WORST for holding on to odors and getting funky really quickly. There's a "sports wash" or something like that out there for them, which might help, but if that's the issue, you might want to just go to all natural fabrics instead.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's not just you. I have certain shirts that are that way, but I couldn't tell you why. Something in the fabric, I guess. And it's the deodorant it reacts with. If I go without, no stink. If you can get by sans deodorant without offending people, you might experiment.
    Jer 29: 11-13

1 members found this post helpful.

Had a similar problem but not with all shirts but some where just terrible. Someone on COTH recommended using the Rock and it was great. Now that winter is here, I'm using up all the old deodorants and then will stick with the Rock. I'm currently using the unscented.

http://rockdeodorant.com/

PS. Yep, menopause will do it for sure! Also, once I figured out just which shirts and tees were the bad ones, they got tossed. Good way to clean out your wardrobe.
    Last edited by msj; Dec. 27, 2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Forgot the K in Rock
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Yeah, I don't think it's you, I think it's the fabric. I have 2-3 shirts like that, I can wash them, put them on my clean, freshly showered, anti-perspirant wearing, body and they have BO in the armpit area in short order. Only certain shirts, I'm not otherwise stinky . I'm pretty sure it's the fabric of the shirt, though I haven't really analyzed it yet, I just relegate them to "dirty job" status, where I won't encounter anyone wearing them, and don't buy another one like them.

Quote Originally Posted by alterchicken View Post
    Borax? Is that a laundry soap or spray or how do I use it? And yes it's weird as I don't think anything with me has personally changed other than the menopause thing. Ugh!
    Borax is a laundry additive. So far, it's worked to get the smell out of anything for me. Cat pee, really dirty stable blankets, the works (not on turnouts though...it might affect the waterproofing). I have hard water and dump some in the dishwasher.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Are the shirts that stink synthetic or technical fabrics? They tend to be THE WORST for holding on to odors and getting funky really quickly. There's a "sports wash" or something like that out there for them, which might help, but if that's the issue, you might want to just go to all natural fabrics instead.
    That's my guess too - synthetic fibers are terrible. I have a fleece pullover that got left in the washing machine for two days or something and despite it being washed like 100 times since then, it still smells like mildew. I guess it's garbage now.

I have read that spraying the armpits of the shirts with vinegar and letting it soak in before washing might help. Otherwise...I'd probably ditch the stinky shirts and be done with them.

I do think that deodorants might contribute to the issue with some of these synthetic materials but that is just my anecdotal experience - I wonder if the chemicals involved with the deodorant might affect the material.

Default that is the pits!

Like others have said already, synthetic fibers can get gross if you are not specifically treating the fabric. Try a borax paste or Zout applied to the area prior to each washing.

Also, have you tried a new scent of your fav deo? As well as Secret brand usually works for me, there a couple of scents that despite smelling nice at the store, did.not.smell.nice on me after a couple of hours and funked up my shirts.

How do you get out the pit stains on the shirts? That's what happens to my white shirts, they get yellow in the pit area. Figured I would ask since the question goes along with pit problems...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Also, your body chemistry can just change. The only deodorant that works for me now is that secret clinical strength sport stuff, and even still some synthetics retain the stinkies. There's a sport version of all with febreeze that seems to work if I get to it right away, but I ruined a nice running shirt by sleeping in it for several days while really sick. Even color safe bleach isn't saving that thing.

This happened to me all the sudden this year. After reading a bunch I decided that it was me, not my clothes. I went cold turkey no deoderant. Washed my pits with white venegar and water, and then applied a baking soda paste for a few days. Voila, smell is gone. From what I read, the deoderant can cause the pores to block and bacteria grows in them that can't be simply washed away. Not sure how the summer will go but feven in hot weather this fall I was fine. I did by the rock deoderant but haven't tried it, probably will come summer.

Not just you! I have some weird body chemistry too. I don't use scented deodorant/antipersperant because I will react with it and turn into a giant walking stink bomb (worse than if I didn't use anything at all) within an hour! This started in my early 20s. I can wear scented lotions and such, just not in my armpits.
    I also have a few assorted garments that, even with my unscented antipersperant, end up making me stink. All three of them are dry-clean only but I have other tops that are dry-clean only so I can't blame it on the dry-cleaners although at first I thought that's what it was. However, they are all a similar fabric blend which I've now decided to avoid.

Vinegar is effective for treating the stains. So is just about any ring around the collar type roll on. I prefer the OxyClean stain remover, but I'm sure many will do the same thing.

I'm also a fan of using bleach on everything that is white. I love bleach. LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

You can soak in washing soda as well, which helps get out smells from fabrics. I think a combo of borax and washing soda would be a one-two punch for anything funky. And it's TIDE that makes a sport formula with febreeze in it. It is especially for technical fabrics.