The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default really bad books you can't put down?

I grabbed a book out of the bargain bin 'A Wallflower Christmas' by Lisa Kleypas.

it is really kind of bad.
    but for some reason her Mary/Gary Sues are really endearing.
    caused me to grab another one from the series from the library.

But gawd, I think the writing is really on the bad side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Bad writing or bad in the "Omg, I can't believe I'm actually reading and enjoying this" sense?

For me, it's Fifty Shades of Grey. I can't help myself. It's so damn unrealistic and I have a constant social commentary running in my head as I read because it's ridiculous (He's wealthy, extremely good looking, well endowed, and very good in bed. That's a unicorn. Doesn't exist.).....but I can't put it down.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
    Bad writing or bad in the "Omg, I can't believe I'm actually reading and enjoying this" sense?

For me, it's Fifty Shades of Grey. I can't help myself. It's so damn unrealistic and I have a constant social commentary running in my head as I read because it's ridiculous (He's wealthy, extremely good looking, well endowed, and very good in bed. That's a unicorn. Doesn't exist.).....but I can't put it down.
    Same for me!!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post

LOL, well, yeah, both actually.
    Not bad enough to make your brain hurt but never in danger of garnering prizes!

Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Munching--GAWD, yes! As a middle school teacher, I feel the need to stay up with adolescent fiction, but Twilight was a greater sacrifice than I should have had to give...blech. Seriously, she had no freaking idea how to end that train wreck did she?

I guess I like crappy romantic fiction, and Kleypas can be a good author, but she's got a couple of real stinkers in the herd.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    two words: Twilight Series
    LOL, the question is now though, were you able to put it down?

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    two words: Twilight Series
    Guilty. I own the entire series...and reread it when I'm bored.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

A lot of the cheap or free ebooks, too many to mention.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

"Pixels of Ink" new free bad books for Kindle offered everyday (and the occasional good one too).
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Death by Dressage - Gack!

Oh it was bad.
    Bulimics read it to induce vomiting.

Reviews by Amazon.
    Should really be 0 stars.
    I read Death By Dressage and will not be reading any of the other books in the series. My main grievance against the book is that it perpetuates bad stereotypes about equestrians, and that too many horse crazy people will read it just because it mentions a horse, which is a far greater disservice than being a bad novel (which it is). Good "horse" books are difficult to find, which is why I tend not to read many. I only read Death by Dressage because many of my literate "horsey" friends mentioned how irritating the novel was. As I am the most difficult to irritate, they felt I would be a good test case. I was irritated.

Simpering, insipid, vapid, and inane were going through my mind as I read the novel. I would like to have put a DNR (Do not resuscitate) order on the character of Robin Vaughn so that unsuspecting readers would not be subject to sequels. Alas, sequels followed, but I exercised my right as a reader to avoid them.

Ms. Banks bludgeons the reader with tedious lectures on horses and all things horsey, with an air of superiority, so one has to wonder what she likes about the sport. The final insult to the reader is the "deus ex machina" ending, as Ms. Banks wrote herself into a corner and couldn't get out.

Side pass right past these books.

I am a dressage rider and had heard good things about this book but was very disappointed. The plot was thin, the ending preposterous and the characters unbelievable. If you want a good equine mystery, read Dick Francis, Bill Shoemaker or Jody Jaffe. Or try John Francome or William Murray (not as good as the first three but better than Carolyn Banks).
    I am an avid reader of Dick Francis and was looking for some new material. I hated this book. It was less than 200 pages and I could not even finish it. Did not care who killed whom half way through.
    Then there are the positive reviews by horse owners who (including the author) have never really been around the type of characters in the book long enough to know just how bad the book was.
    Last edited by 5; Dec. 26, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Death by Dressage - Gack!

Oh it was bad.
    Bulimics read it to induce vomiting.

Anything by Jerzy Kosinski. With the exception of Being There.

A friend gave me a swack of books since she knew I love reading, and there were a few by the aforementioned author.

The Painted Bird was THE most disturbing book I've ever read, yet I couldn't stop reading it, Passion Play was ridiculous and creepy. There was a scene where they were playing polo over jumps and the main character (a big creeper who was a riding instructor/polo player that had slept with his students) hit the polo ball whilst jumping. unhunh. There was also a sex scene involving a stallion as a prop, bondage with tack, etc.

I need to go take a shower now. *shudder*
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

I'm reading Jump! by Jilly Cooper and yes, I admit it, I am enjoying it.

A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

No I could not put it down, I kept waiting for it to, 1) end and 2) get better

And Calvin, yes that train was so far off the tracks she had no idea how to reign (I am using her word for rein from the last book) it in.

If you have seen the movies check these videos out. WARNING! Do not be drinking anything at the time, some are quite funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmxSk0wZxss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYC-waukYWo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAk-JnEdzMU

then there are the 'honest trailers'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gugBiEkLwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoLXRErjzco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnYPqippKVw

Your Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL, the question is now though, were you able to put it down?