The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Downton Abbey - where to start?

So I haven't been watching, and it is quite far along. Any place to find the earlier episodes? A synopsis of what's been happening? I don't regularly download films/videos online as I don't have high speed internet. But I can do it for free in the wee hours of the morning, so may give it a shot with this series.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Default If there is a library nearby

they should have seaosn one and two. One was better. You even get to see a fox hunting scene. The outside shots and some interior shots are filmed at Highclere, where I think the Queen's horses are. If that is wrong, I will be corrected.
    This is a great series. My local PBS last weekend ran an 11 hour marathon, and last night, another 4 hour stretch.
    I have begun refering to my ancient cat as 'the Dowager Countess" after Maggie Smith's character. She is sitting in the crook of my arm as I type this, hoping, like a Hobbit to be fed several times a day.
    Do check your local listings. Or f you can, try netflix...
    Another killer of threads

1 members found this post helpful.

We ordered it from Netflix, and had a marathon watching the first 2 seasons over a rainy weekend. The other video companies or stores should have it also. Just call around and see who has it on their shelves.
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

HULU is your friend. Netflix streaming does not have season 2. HULU has all the seasons and you can get totally lost watching it.

I got discs of both seasons from Netflix, though I believe the first season is available streaming. I really, truly wish PBS had an available OnDemand selection There have been several Masterpiece type things I've had trouble catching on there if I don't very specifically program my DVR!

For Downton fans, I'd also just recommend a book I finished, Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey. It's the story of the 4th Countess of Carnarvon and Highclere estate where they now film the show, written by the current Countess. The book won't spoil anything if you haven't seen the episodes yet, and was a really fascinating look at life as the world transformed at the end of the Victorian age.

Start at the beginning. Season 1 was better anyway.

My Mom got me Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey for Christmas.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I didn't realize Hulu had Downton- I may have to renew my subscription. I'm currently lost in Miss Marple, but about to finish that.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Amazon's Instant Video also has both seasons. If you have Prime, they're free (and unlimited viewing, too).
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Public Library. I get everything from there. I had to wait quite a while for Downton Abbey, but I've also gotten Game of Thrones, 6 Feet Under, Dexter, and other great stuff.

CVPeg is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas. Still a little in the dark ages - video/Hulu/streaming/Netflix/internet downloading wise.
    But looks like plenty of options. Great!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

HighFlyingBey, thank you, thank you!! This is the first time a link really works (in Canada no less)... I just watched the first episode of Season 3!! i have to go to bed but I know what I will do tomorrow (Holiday here in Canada!!).

here and this also has this years Christmas special. http://www.sidereel.com/downton_abbe...m_source=SR_SS
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post

For Downton fans, I'd also just recommend a book I finished, Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey. It's the story of the 4th Countess of Carnarvon and Highclere estate where they now film the show, written by the current Countess. The book won't spoil anything if you haven't seen the episodes yet, and was a really fascinating look at life as the world transformed at the end of the Victorian age.
    I got the book from my husband for Christmas last year - it was really good, written by the present-day Countess. Almina was a very impressive woman.

Vision network will be running everything back to back on Jan 2, in advance of the Jan 6 PBS new season.

You can also support PBS and Masterpiece Theatre by buying the DVDs from them or donating to them and getting them as a gift.....
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by bumknees View Post
    here and this also has this years Christmas special. http://www.sidereel.com/downton_abbe...m_source=SR_SS
    Thank you thank you thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    This is the first time a link really works
    You're welcome! I'm so glad it's working for you too! I tested it before I posted, but of course that only meant US viewers could see it.