The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Any Roku owners out there?

I bought my 10 year old a Roku for Christmas, but I'm a little lost as to which channels are free, and which ones are not. We do have Netflix, and I have that set up, but are there any good streaming channels that are free?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Crackle is good. Lots to watch there.

Most of these are free.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I only use netflix and amazon prime, but i love it! I have watched some on crackle but they seem to be older movies. I think you can get hulu on it too.
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

I've heard things here and there about the Roku and when we move in the spring I'm thinking of nixing cable. For someone who knows almost nothing about it, how does it work? I get that it uses the internet to stream online channels like A Prime, Hulu, Netflix etc, but is there a monthly fee to Roku? It sounds like a lot of other channels come with it. Enlighten me!
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

You buy a Roku box, hook it into your home network, subscribe to the premium channels you want like Hulu Plus and Netflix, and then off you go. If you have DSL or sat, don't bother, because it will eat through your data allotment and barely work with the available bandwidth. You may have to upgrade your home router to a premium one to handle the streaming video as many older routers do not have the muscle to deal with a large amount of incoming data.

So if I get a Roku box, do I then give up cable totally or do I have to subscribe to at least basic cable? All I really want to do is just turn on the tv and watch something!! Ugh....

Well, you'll have to figure that out with your cable company but I would suggest keeping basic cable unless you have an antenna and good reception for local stuff. It may also be more expensive to not have basic cable while keeping cable internet service. It varies.

I use Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime. I don't have cable in my bedroom but thanks to the Roku I can watch tv before bed
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    If you have DSL or sat, don't bother, because it will eat through your data allotment and barely work with the available bandwidth.
    Not necessarily true. I have DSL with unlimited data and I have no problems streaming Netflix thru my Roku. Only rarely will it have to rebuffer or whatever. It takes about a minute or so to download a typical 2 hour HD movie. I think it depends on how congested the area you live in is....I think you are in competition with your neighbors for bandwidth on DSL. I'm in a somewhat rural area and most of my neighbors have satellite or cable. I have my Roku and an antenna in the attic and am quite happy.

We swapped cable for Roku months ago - from $100/mo in fees to about $20. We get Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime (paid) and Crackle, etc for free. We like it - I order the programs I like to watch - only two a year, right now - saving loads of money. We do intend to get the HD antenna and take advantage of the free local channels, just so we have the news, but honestly, I haven't missed it...

1 members found this post helpful.

I have DSL and it works fine. . We watch Metflix all the time.

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy's Girl View Post
    We swapped cable for Roku months ago - from $100/mo in fees to about $20. We get Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime (paid) and Crackle, etc for free. We like it - I order the programs I like to watch - only two a year, right now - saving loads of money. We do intend to get the HD antenna and take advantage of the free local channels, just so we have the news, but honestly, I haven't missed it...
    THIS is exactly what I want. Right now we pay $45/month for basic cable and internet, but the only thing I watch on the tv is the news in the morning. If we could pay the same or less (I already have Amazon Prime/Amazon Student) and get better selection of movies with fewer commercials DH would be in heaven.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services