The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by duecavalle View Post
    I received my All-Breed Award (First Level/Ammy) the week before Christmas. I was puzzled because there were two awards in the box, both exactly the same, neck medals on blue sashes. Has anyone else received dupes?
    Double-check what you won, it may be multiple categories within the breed/level: I got three of them because my horse/I were 1st in Open, Ammy and, ahem, Vintage Cup (there are some - few - benefits for getting older.) If I didn't have to PAY for it, I'd get the "Masters Challenge" award for my lowly level, but I don't NEED to pay $25 for a piece of paper saying I got "x" number of scores over 60% when I was more than 65 years old. ROFLOL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Double-check what you won, it may be multiple categories within the breed/level: I got three of them because my horse/I were 1st in Open, Ammy and, ahem, Vintage Cup (there are some - few - benefits for getting older.) If I didn't have to PAY for it, I'd get the "Masters Challenge" award for my lowly level, but I don't NEED to pay $25 for a piece of paper saying I got "x" number of scores over 60% when I was more than 65 years old. ROFLOL!!!!!
    You solved the mystery Sandy M, thank you! It appears we have won for both Open and AA, what a nice surprise. Then again it's not too much of a shock, there are only a few Curly Sporthorses out there showing!

Oh yes -- and my awards are also leg-less!

You solved the mystery Sandy M, thank you! It appears we have won for both Open and AA, what a nice surprise. Then again it's not too much of a shock, there are only a few Curly Sporthorses out there showing!

Oh yes -- and my awards are also leg-less!
    Ah, well, we all have our little secrets. My horse is double-registered ApHC and AHA. I nominated him as an Appy, on the logical consideration that there are a heckuva lot more pure/part-bred Arabs doing dressage than Appies. Cuts down the field considerably. LOL

Ah, well, we all have our little secrets. My horse is double-registered ApHC and AHA. I nominated him as an Appy, on the logical consideration that there are a heckuva lot more pure/part-bred Arabs doing dressage than Appies. Cuts down the field considerably. LOL
    No secrets here, he's 100% Curly, I had no choice in the matter! And lucky me, he also happens to be the coolest horse I've ever had the pleasure to have as a partner.

No secrets here, he's 100% Curly, I had no choice in the matter! And lucky me, he also happens to be the coolest horse I've ever had the pleasure to have as a partner.
    Well, um.....I know there are CPO (uncolored) Appies - but none of my Apps have ever been solids, so that's hardly a secret. LOL! With my horse, the secret (at least to most eyes) is the Arabian half. Most of the Arab/cross Appies I have seen/know of are on the "smaller" side. But not my boy and his full brother: They are 16.2 (my horse) and 17 hands (his brother). Most people guess that he's a TB or WB cross and are really surprise to learn that his sire was a 15 hand, Crabbet-line, Trakhener-approved Arabian.

Well, um.....I know there are CPO (uncolored) Appies - but none of my Apps have ever been solids, so that's hardly a secret. LOL! With my horse, the secret (at least to most eyes) is the Arabian half. Most of the Arab/cross Appies I have seen/know of are on the "smaller" side. But not my boy and his full brother: They are 16.2 (my horse) and 17 hands (his brother). Most people guess that he's a TB or WB cross and are really surprise to learn that his sire was a 15 hand, Crabbet-line, Trakhener-approved Arabian.
    Pretty cool Sandy M -- this is what the all-breeds awards are all about!

I HAVE seen an Appy patterned Curly - but I don't know if it was a cross, or if that is a color that just "shows up" in Curlies - that is, there ARE non-Appy horses that display a similar coat pattern. Does that occur in Bakshir Curlies? (Appaloosas, after all, are primitively of Asian origin.) I had a dressage calendar once that had a FEI level sort of golden-chestnut Curly on it - cute horse - looked very solid, a bit on the stocky (NOT stockhorse) side.

Color versus breed is such an issue! As the founder of the Foundation Appaloosa registry has said, "You can put color on anything, but that doesn't make it an Appaloosa." (But he's something of a crank!) Still, I have seen nice Appy MULES (no wisecracks please). *G* My horse though a cross shows ALL Appy breed characteristics - striped feet, sclera, mottled skin (*cough*stubbornness*cough*), and, of course, coat pattern. Just to confuse the issue, though, he's got a thinnish but long tail and a VERY thick mane.

Can you post a picture of your guy? I, sadly, don't have a pic of my guy currently available.

I HAVE seen an Appy patterned Curly - but I don't know if it was a cross, or if that is a color that just "shows up" in Curlies - that is, there ARE non-Appy horses that display a similar coat pattern. Does that occur in Bakshir Curlies? (Appaloosas, after all, are primitively of Asian origin.) I had a dressage calendar once that had a FEI level sort of golden-chestnut Curly on it - cute horse - looked very solid, a bit on the stocky (NOT stockhorse) side.

Color versus breed is such an issue! As the founder of the Foundation Appaloosa registry has said, "You can put color on anything, but that doesn't make it an Appaloosa." (But he's something of a crank!) Still, I have seen nice Appy MULES (no wisecracks please). *G* My horse though a cross shows ALL Appy breed characteristics - striped feet, sclera, mottled skin (*cough*stubbornness*cough*), and, of course, coat pattern. Just to confuse the issue, though, he's got a thinnish but long tail and a VERY thick mane.

Can you post a picture of your guy? I, sadly, don't have a pic of my guy currently available.
    Oh my and out myself? Sure what the heck... I hope people can be nice. :
    I have seen photos of several Curlies with Appy patterns but don't know whether or not the patterns are from crossing with an Appy or not. Where they have similar "native horse" heritage, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an indigenous color pattern.

My horse has a stocky build too and with his bay coat and high sabino markings people often think he's a Clyde-cross when his winter curls have grown out. I'm very quick to offer up his breed when someone comments on him. "Thanks! He's a Curly!" they usually smile politely and then... look a little perplexed!
    Last edited by duecavalle; Jan. 4, 2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: remove link

Cute guy!

Yeah, I once had a blaze-faced bay roan Appy that was 16.3 hh and I often had people ask if he were part Clyde (No.). He was tall, but he wasn't at all drafty, but I guess the big blaze and the roaning made them think there was Clyde in there. LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

duecavalle, you and your adorable pony are featured in the SNHDCTA section in the Equine Journal this month!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    duecavalle, you and your adorable pony are featured in the SNHDCTA section in the Equine Journal this month!
    Indeed we are! Page 104.