The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I thought it was fabulous! I've read the book but never seen any of the other movie versions. Unfortunately I had a bunch of idiot kids in the audience where I saw it that kept saying "OMG this is so stupid" "this is awful" "nothing's happening"...ugh!!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    I thought it was fabulous! I've read the book but never seen any of the other movie versions. Unfortunately I had a bunch of idiot kids in the audience where I saw it that kept saying "OMG this is so stupid" "this is awful" "nothing's happening"...ugh!!
    We have discovered that if you want to see a "grown-up" movie without obnoxious teenagers, it is best to go to the 2:30 matinee! I don't think there was anyone under thirty when we went the other day.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post

Edit: I've seen the original cast on Broadway, two touring productions, and another Broadway version. Hands down, Samantha Barks is the best Eponine I have ever seen. The Broadway actresses I've seen tend to screech and wail "On My Own" like they're trying out for American Idol. Barks has so much more subtlety and emotion without all that screaming.
    I agree. I've seen it in London and New York. To me, there is no musical without a standout Eponine. She is the story's beating heart. Barks was the perfect choice, and I love that they went with an unknown. I like her even better than Lea Salonga, and Broadway people are nuts about Lea Salonga. (I love her voice but she sacrifices emotion for technical perfection, imho.)

Can you imagine if they had chosen Taylor Swift or Lea Michele, who were rumored to have auditioned for Eponine? Yikes!!

2 members found this post helpful.

GAH!!! Taylor or Lea?? That would have GUARANTEED I would never buy a ticket!!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

We saw it today. I loved Hugh, Samantha, Eddie and Anne. Russell was better than I expected, but was not the right person for the role. I suppose given some recent castings, we should be thankful they didn't cast Tom Cruise! LOL

I think Gerard Butler would have been better if they were looking for major star power with a voice.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Saw it today! I've never seen the stage production, although I have a dear friend who's worked backstage on the West End and I feel like I know it just from hearing her go on about it for years.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie... At the end of Fantine's "I Dreamed a Dream," I whispered to DH, "there's her Oscar." She was AMAZING.

Russell Crowe?? Oye vey. Fail.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

1 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by CiegoStar View Post
    Can you imagine if they had chosen Taylor Swift or Lea Michele, who were rumored to have auditioned for Eponine? Yikes!!
    Lea Michele I'd have tolerated. If it had been Taylor Swift I wouldn't have seen the movie. Samantha Barks is dynamite, although not as good in the film as on stage.

So Russell Crowe joins Pierce Brosnan in the ranks of talented actors against whom all music has taken out a restraining order... pity. I actually liked his acting- he was very restrained, deliberately so, with the exception of his face. The Confrontation was his best moment vocally, which isn't saying much. I'm afraid that after Bring Him Home I no longer think Hugh Jackman is walking perfection. Sigh. But he earns forgiveness on his other merits in the film. Samantha Barks is obviously outstanding, Eddie Redmayne made me like Marius. Anne Hathaway ought to get an Oscar (and give a rude gesture to everyone who was up in arms over her casting saying she can't sing. She can sing just fine.) I'm blanking on the name of the actor who played Enjolras but thought he was quite good.

My biggest beef is the number of songs that were abridged or cut from the second act. A Little Fall Of Rain I can handle, but come on, abridging Drink With Me?! And slicing out Little People entirely. Boo hiss.

As usual, started bawling when Eponine died, and didn't stop 'til the end. And listened to the 25th Anniversary cast all the way home!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I'm blanking on the name of the actor who played Enjolras but thought he was quite good.
    Aaron Tveit. I've seen him in a few shows on Broadway (Next to Normal, Wicked) and am happy he's getting a little more exposure here.

I love the fact that a movie soundtrack from a musical is doing so well on the charts right now! I've had it on repeat for the last few days, Russell Crowe's bad singing and all.

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    Russell Crowe?? Oye vey. Fail.

The sad thing is, he has (had?) a band!

You should Youtube the South Park episode where they made fun of Russell Crowe's singing voice. Hilarious.

ETA - here, I found it for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygcRrfQt-0Q
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I saw it today and loved it. The cinematography and scenery was fanastic and I agree with the poster who said that the movie was gritty and emotional and you woudn't necessarily expect a perfect voice. You also have to consider that the singing was filmed live, it was not dubbed in.

As for Russell Crowe, I don't care how badly he sings, he looks might fine in that uniform. :swoon:
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

1 members found this post helpful.

I saw it for the second time tonight and I loved it again! Yes, some of the singing may be not as strong as it could be but I felt that the actors and actresses did quite a good job overall to make a beautiful! -possible spoilers?- Anne Hathaway was superb as Fantine, Hugh Jackman was very believable as Jean Valjean (made my father cry!), though his voice was a little wobbly, he had some great moments. Amanda Seyfried (I can't spell it) would not have been my choice for Cosette, but she did alright. Russell Crowe I felt did ok, yes he did not have the emotion of some of the other singers, but he is playing a tough part. Eddie Redmayne was good, his voice is surprisingly nice! Oh god, Samantha Barks as Eponine was amazing, her part was super well acted and beautifully sung! Sacha and Helena are brilliant brilliant brilliant.
    Overall I really enjoyed it! I thought it was a smart move to sing live on the set, it brought much more realism and emotion rather than lip syching. Not my favorite musical of all time, but I liked it enough to see it twice!