The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I sort of saw it last night. We went to some fancy Ultra theater, whatever that means and I got motion sickness within about the first thirty seconds that continued throughout the whole movie. Not sure if it was the screen or the way the film was shot or what. Nothing like that has ever happened to me at a movie. I tried watching it without my glasses, shutting on eye, putting my hands in front of my face and peering between my fingers to no avail. There were a lot of close ups of faces where the background was moving so I just shut my eyes until that part was over. I liked it but didn't really get to experience the whole thing.

I saw it last night, and liked it very much. I have never seen the play, read the book, listened to the music, so I really only had a vague idea of the plot. I thought Anne Hathaway was amazing, Hugh Jackman excellent and Russell Crowe was completely fine. It was easy to follow, the story clear. The Cosette/Marius "love at first sight" thing isn't unusual, so didn't bother me. It was beautifully filmed and I quite liked the comic relief of the in keepers. Very enjoyable! Beautifully filmed!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I saw it last night, and liked it very much. I have never seen the play, read the book, listened to the music, so I really only had a vague idea of the plot. I thought Anne Hathaway was amazing, Hugh Jackman excellent and Russell Crowe was completely fine. It was easy to follow, the story clear. The Cosette/Marius "love at first sight" thing isn't unusual, so didn't bother me. It was beautifully filmed and I quite liked the comic relief of the in keepers. Very enjoyable! Beautifully filmed!
    Have heard some of the music and know the gist of the story, but like you this was my first time with this telling.
    Agree with your opinion of the movie, again without anything for comparison.
    Russell Crowe sang as well as I expected, maybe a little better than expected. No doubt the role has been performed better, pity that person wasn't included in the movie version.

Of course, I grew up watching Audry Hepburn in My Fair Lady, not knowing it was another's voice and that Julie Andrews originated the role on Broadway.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I just bought the soundtrack but there's no "A Little Fall of Rain". Is that scene not in the movie? We are going to see it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I liked The Hobbit though it dragged on a bit. Too much dialogue and exposition to set up the next two films.
    I thought it was a bit long as well and then someone pointed out that the filmakers had turned a 200 page book into a 9 hour trilogy, upon which we determined that they must also have additionally dramatized the table of contents and the copyright page.

Three hours for circa 75pp????

Aaaaand I just saw the Sunday Morning review on DVR, in which the reviewer states Russell Crowe displays an uncanny fog of atonality, Hugh Jackman must try to shake Javert while being forced to sing an octave too high, and an emaciated Anne Hathaway sings an unforgettable version of I Dreamed A Dream, in one take, iin close up, looking like a plucked chicken, and earning every award that will be thrown at her skinny head.

2 members found this post helpful.

I saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have seen it on stage three or four times (saw it in Chicago about 3 weeks ago), and I thought they did a wonderful job bringing the story to the big screen. As someone who is intimately familiar with the plot and the music, I have very few complaints. I think I went in with lowered expectations since I've seen it so many times with the vocal big guns, but I think the acting was phenomenal, for the most part, in this film. It really added a whole dimension that is missing on stage.

1 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    It's better explained/more plausible in the book. I have always found this to be one of the oddities of the musical... are we really to root for Cosette and Marius? We have a soft spot because of what young Cosette went through, sure. So we do generally root for her. But given how much more Eponine is fleshed out and how implausible the relationship is between Cosette and Marius... are we really to root for them?
    Sure, but the characters aren't half as likeable in the book as they are in the musical!

ETA posted directly after seeing this... Aggie4Bar beat me to it!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Sure, but the characters aren't half as likeable in the book as they are in the musical!

ETA posted directly after seeing this... Aggie4Bar beat me to it!
    I sort of prefer it that way. I just adore the book. And I like all the flaws that most characters have. Make them seem more gritty, and real, and makes it easier for you to root for good to prevail and not for individuals.

That being said, I just adore the music so how can you not love the musical? On My Own is probably one of the best songs written and very little beats a very very good young Cosette doing the simple but beautiful Castle on a Cloud. Kids who dream of growing up and being in musicals DREAM about two things (one which is off limits for much of the population)-- singing either On My Own or I am Telling You on stage. What better is there than those two moments?

But all said, I think the book is a much better story if we're taking the music out of the picture. Much more complex and larger in scope. But then again, it ain't no short book and something had to be sacrificed to make the musical work.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

City of delusion in the state of total denial

The Book is a much better story, absolutely; and flaws are good to have in characters. But I found enough of the main cast in the novel to be utterly irredeemably odious to strongly prefer the musical's plotline.

On My Own is the song that introduced me to the musical; it is the song that defines it, for me. I adore Eponine. A production has to have a good Eponine, or I'm out. If it does have a good Eponine I can forgive all else, including Joe Jonas. Samantha Barks is my favorite Eponine and I'm thrilled to bits she was cast in the movie. Lea Michele would have been all right, but not my favorite. I realize I'm committing sacrilege, but I do not like Lea Salonga in Les Mis, either as Eponine or Fantine.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Now I have fired up my Les Mis Pandora channel. And have committed to seeing the movie.

elf'o'MeghanDACVA Guest

I refused to read this thread until I saw the movie. AMAZING!!!! The theater was packed and we had to sit up front, so the close ups were really close. Ready to see it again and again and again.... Take your best friend who you can cry with

elf'o'MeghanDACVA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    We just got home from the movie and I loved every second. I saw it on Broadway when Colm was Valjean, thought it was amazing and I loved the movie just as much. It was all I could do not to bounce and since along!
    My theater was singing along

Anne Hathaway stole the show for me. While her "I Dreamed A Dream" wasn't necessarily as "beautiful" as others I have heard it felt very emotional and real. I also really enjoyed Hugh Jackman's performance - while not as vocally impressive as some of the actors who have played the role on stage I still thought him an excellent Valjean.

Both of the child actors (Gavroche and young Cossette) were excellent as was Samantha Barks as Eponine. I felt Amanda Seyfried was a bit weak, but to be honest I find Cossette to be a bit flat as a character anyways so that didn't matter much to me.

Overall, I felt the movie made me more sympathetic towards the younger set of characters (Eponine, Marius, Cosette) than I had been previously when either reading the novel or watching the musical on stage. I'm not sure why exactly this was, perhaps it was simply the excellent acting and signing by the actor who played Marius!

2 members found this post helpful.

OK, now that I've seen it...It was ok. I think they definitely sacrificed the music for cinematic effect and star power, and to me, the music is what drives this version of the story, so I was disappointed. Anne Hathaway was fantastic, but Hugh Jackman, IMO, was good at acting the role of Valjean but not good enough of a singer to warrant being cast in this-"Bring Him Home" was far to weak and that song is THE song for Valjean. I can get over Russell Crowe's singing mistakes easier than Jackman's.

I liked Eponine/Maarius and would have liked Cosette with the exception of her not being able to hit a few of her notes-again, in a musical, IMO, the music IS the story, and actors should be cast based on singing ability above all else. That was clearly NOT the case with the movie, and because of that, it was a letdown. I'd have rather seen it without the names like Jackman and even Crowe and with Broadway actors who can actually sing the roles. I realize that Colm Wilkinson is too old to play the young Valjean now (it was cool that they cast him as the bishop!), but I so missed his voice in this. I certainly wouldn't spend any money buying the soundtrack of the movie when I have the Broadway version.

I did love what cinema added to the scenery-the cinematography was outstanding. I loved the scene with Lamarque's funeral procession.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I want to see Les Miserables with Klingons. Now that would be fun to watch.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I am a huge fan of the musical and have seen it three times in Boston. My mom was in London when it opened in 1985 and saw the original on opening night! Anyway, I am on the fence based on some of the clips that I have heard.

I agree with whomever said that a musical should be cast as that - not necessarily for big names. Even if Colm is too old to play Jean Valjean now, there are a couple of younger Valjeans (John Owen Jones or Alfie Boe) whose voices are amazing. And they should have cast a Broadway star as Javert.

I'll probably re-watch the 25th anniversary DVD instead, Joe Jonas and all. (Michael Ball was the best Marius IMO.)
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," available now!

I saw Alfie Boe in concert two weeks ago and his rendition of "Bring Him Home" was so fresh in my mind that when Hugh Jackman sang it I literally cringed. I love Hugh, so I didn't want to feel that way, but having just heard a gorgeous tenor voice sing it so beautifully, live, well--he suffered in the comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I want to see Les Miserables with Klingons. Now that would be fun to watch.

I just saw it today.

It was good, as good as a movie could be. Hugh Jackman was pretty good in the role (especially at the end), and Hathaway's Fantine was amazing: not her vocal skills per se, although she was fine and wisely didn't try to soar as the Broadway stars do, but her acting was superb.

SBC and HBC were really entertaining as the Innkeeper and his wife. I never particularly liked those two in the musical, so this was a welcome surprise.

I will deviate from the general consensus and say that Barks' Eponine left me pretty flat. I felt that neither the singing (as for example Salonga's version) nor the acting (ie the movie's Fantine) were all that great, and in the end it was just some chick singing that some guy didn't love her. Meh.

I'm also normally not fond of Marius, possibly because he's a somewhat moony boy in silly love-at-first-glance and in the musicals he's never as strong vocally as Valjean and Javert, but in this cast he comes across very well. I especially liked his Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.

Poor Russell Crowe was NOT up to the role of Javert. I agree, Stars downright sucked.

And LOL, I wondered why the Bishop was so amazing. I didn't know it was Colm Wilkinson, but even not knowing it was clear that there was a true star singer in the cast