The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

We just got home from the movie and I loved every second. I saw it on Broadway when Colm was Valjean, thought it was amazing and I loved the movie just as much. It was all I could do not to bounce and since along!

1 members found this post helpful.

Saw it today. If you are a fan of the musical, you will like it. Overall I -gasp- kind of wish it had deviated a little more from the musical. Like I don't need to see very similar staging to the musical, down to some of the choreography. This is a MOVIE, take me off the stage set, you know?

Run down of the performances:

Hugh Jackman: prob the best man in Hollywood for the job, but his voice is a little high and warbly at times; he is not up to "Bring Him Home," which is a shame. Seeing Colm Wilkinson as the priest obviously downplaying his vocal skills only highlights Jackman's relative weaknesses. As an actor alone, though, he's excellent and believable as Valjean.

Anne Hathaway: Deserves the awards she will get. Her storyline is probably the best told of all the secondary characters. She is a much more capable singer than Amanda Seyfried and the scene at the factory is one of the better-paced sections.

Eddie Reymayne (sp), Marius: Great voice. The love story is, as always, rushed, so it's asking a lot of the audience to believe in him and Cosette as they only glimpse each other across a street. But this was a weakness of the musical as well.

Samantha Barks, Eponine: Superb, top-notch, A+++, would do business again.

Russell Crowe, dear, dear Russell Crowe. In a movie that is definitely NOT subtle, he gives the most understated performance. Is it because he's just trying to get through the songs without embarrassing himself too much? I like his looks as Javert, but "Stars" is the worst performance of the movie, and it should be a showstopper.

Amanda Seyfried: The other clunker. Ugh, she's terrible. Thin, pitiful attempt at soprano, a type of singer that only works when she can make it seem effortless. Whenever Barks is in the same scene you just cringe for Seyfried, she's so outclassed.

Helena Bonham Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen: Perfect; they give much-needed comic relief.

The kid who plays Gavroche: Nearly walks away with the film.

I love all the songs. There is just winner after winner after winner in this show. The movie doesn't feel overly long, but there's so much story to be told, it manages to feel rushed all the same. There are no pauses for acting between songs, even if just a look. You never get a chance to absorb a major character's death before hustling on to the next section. There's no room to breathe.

I wish there had been, which brings me back to my overall criticism: This is a movie, not a musical played on a stage. The pacing, staging, and acting felt too close to what you would see in a theater. I expected something bolder, I guess. BUT. It was fun and I would watch it again for sure.

Looking forward to it but slightly worried about Russell Crowe. Javert is a tough part!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I like Amanda Seyfreid a lot but I hate Cosette so it doesn't matter a whit to me what she sounds like.

CiegoStar, totally agree with you re. Anne Hathaway's performance. I knew she could sing and I knew she could act, and I'm a fan of hers, but I was still worried about her taking on Fantine, especially after we've been hearing such powerful versions of I Dreamed A Dream lately. I really loved the tack she took with the song, though.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Just came back from seeing it; I was not at ALL impressed. I saw the original cast in Boston when I was little and there isn't really anything that can compare to that. I have seen it on stage several times since and still nothing holds a candle to the first production. I thought the movie was kitschy and all of the crying during the singing was obnoxious. I didn't have huge expectations, but I was still disappointed. Though some of the singing was very good, other parts were...quite lacking :P
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Saw it tonight, and for the most part, was bored silly. I normally love musicals, but outside of a couple of numbers, it was more like Gregorian chant. And with Russell Crowe's singing, he could have offed himself a lot earlier in the movie. . Anne Hathaway was outstanding...Hugh Jackman was good but lacked the voice to really pull it off....and as far as the Beetle juice wannabes....comic relief just didn't fit the storyline. Or maybe they were zombies. . Anyway, to me it was a waste of money and three hours I'll never get back.

I just have to say it.

You guys are not helping me off the fence with these contradictory reviews.

I definitely want to go and watch the movie. I've seen the performance of the 25th Anniversary at the West End in London a few times - only on TV/DVD! lol. I wish I had been able to go.

My mom just bought the book and after I'm done re-reading Harry Potter, I'm going to read it. I really don't know the entire story except bits and pieces, but I think it's something I could get really crazy about! lol.

I saw the movie last night and have seen it on stage twice. I thought there were good and bad things about the movie vs. the musical. Basically, what I didn't like about the stage version translated to the movie - too long, and unbelievable relationship between Cosette and Marius. Other than that, I liked the huge production of it and applaud the decision to have the actor's sing their parts live. Hugh Jackman was good, Anne H. was wonderful, Russell Crowe, as others have noted, was wooden and outclassed. I thought the guy who played Marius did a great job, and Amanda as Cosette was very good. Sascha (whatever) Cohen and was just okay, but HBC was great and I thought the movie didn't do those characters justice.

Overall, the stage version was much more powerful, moving, and engrossing. There is something about seeing and hearing the voices live, especially when the full company is on stage, that you just can't replicate in a movie. The film does a passable rendition, though. Do go see it in the theater vs. at home, though. It is not going to be very good on a small screen.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

unbelievable relationship between Cosette and Marius
    Aw, come on, that's straight from the musical. "I've never seen this girl before! Quick, girl to whom I am totally oblivious, find her for me, so I can sing at her from across a fence, because we're totally in love!"

Not a big fan of either one of them and Eponine deserved a lot better than what she got. Hmph!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'll wait for the Blu-Ray.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Aw, come on, that's straight from the musical. "I've never seen this girl before! Quick, girl to whom I am totally oblivious, find her for me, so I can sing at her from across a fence, because we're totally in love!"

Not a big fan of either one of them and Eponine deserved a lot better than what she got. Hmph!
    It's better explained/more plausible in the book. I have always found this to be one of the oddities of the musical... are we really to root for Cosette and Marius? We have a soft spot because of what young Cosette went through, sure. So we do generally root for her. But given how much more Eponine is fleshed out and how implausible the relationship is between Cosette and Marius... are we really to root for them?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thank you. I was on the fence about this movie. I've never seen the musical and I HATED the book. I was going to go see the movie because I kind of felt that I "should." Now, eh, I'll go see "The Hobbit" instead.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I liked The Hobbit though it dragged on a bit. Too much dialogue and exposition to set up the next two films.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I will weigh in my opinion for those on the fence.

I'm not really a fan of musicals so take that into consideration. I've seen Les Mis twice. The first time in London and the second in Phila. Both fantastic performances.

I loved the movie. What I think I miss about stage performances is that you can't really see the characters facial expressions and acting nuances due to the distance from the stage.

In the movie, the singers had close ups during their performances, so you could really appreciate the acting as well as the singing. Anne Hathaway was completely amazing. In the scene where she was singing to Cosette, she was singing like someone in the throes of death, so her voice was wavery and weak. In the stage peformance, the song sounded stronger and more "beautiful", but to me it wasn't realistic for someone dying to be able to belt out a song that powerfully.

I loved the cinematography. I felt like the scenes looked realistic to what life was probably like at that time. Something as little as how dark Paris would have looked like at night during those times was something I noticed and appreciated.

Purely from a vocal standpoint, I would probably listen to the CDs from the musicals-except for Eponine. I think Eponine in the movie is the best I've ever heard. It's hard to compare Fontine because Anne sung her a bit differently due to the movie. I would include her versions on a CD. I love Hugh Jackman and agree with the poster who said Bring Him Home was a little weak.
    But I think he was perfect for the part.

I agree Russell Crowe was outclassed as far as vocal talent but that didn't bother me because it was a movie. His acting was convincing enough that it did the job.

If you are going to see it, see it on the big screen. The accoustics and the visual impact would be better appreciated in the theatre.

I saw it Christmas day and the audience was fine. I do kind of like that they moved the scenes along quickly because otherwise I would have been audibly sobbing during the sad scenes, I'm sure much to the annoyance of my neighbors.

3 members found this post helpful.

Going to see it this afternoon; looking forward as it's my favorite Broadway musical (Phantom of the Opera is a close second) and when I was in college and taking voice lessons on a music scholarship, I did songs from Les Mis a couple of times for the required recitals and auditions. My favorites are Eponine's, (love, love, LOVE On My Own) which, unfortunately, I don't have the voice for as the key is too low for my best range, so my voice teacher always made me sing Fantine or Cosette. So lots of fond memories of the music for me!

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    Anne Hathaway was completely amazing. In the scene where she was singing to Cosette, she was singing like someone in the throes of death, so her voice was wavery and weak. In the stage peformance, the song sounded stronger and more "beautiful", but to me it wasn't realistic for someone dying to be able to belt out a song that powerfully.
    That reminds me of the movie Moulin Rouge, where Nicole Kidman's character is suffering from TB throughout the whole thing, but manages to rally for a giant song-and-dance number at the end, then collapses and dies during the curtain call. I usually turn the movie off at the finish of that number so it has a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    It's better explained/more plausible in the book. I have always found this to be one of the oddities of the musical... are we really to root for Cosette and Marius? We have a soft spot because of what young Cosette went through, sure. So we do generally root for her. But given how much more Eponine is fleshed out and how implausible the relationship is between Cosette and Marius... are we really to root for them?
    I've not seen the film yet but want to. Having seen the stage production twice and read the book once (painfully...), I think the musical doesn't quite pick up the message in the book. Frankly, I always hated Cosette; she's a brat. And Marius is no better. He's an absolute unfeeling, self-absorbed, immature ass in the book who essentially stays with Eponine as long as he must, dumps the body, and takes off. The musical paints him as much nicer. Valjean made his choices for the protection of Cosette and to ensure she had a future, even with the foolish boy she chose (who convinced her to kick her "dad" to the curb until he's dying but that part isn't in the musical either). Both those characters are unlikable, excused only through the eyes of a loving and forgiving Valjean, who recognizes their foolishness as the naivete of youth. It really is Valjean's story though, both on stage and in print.
    Jer 29: 11-13

I loved every minute of it.
    I love all of the characters. I thought Russell was totally fine.

I thought they all did a great job.

One thing that was different was that the director made and recorded everyone life.
    So they had to sing out of breath, while crying...all the goodies.

I thought it was awesome. I also thought it was interesting listening to what the actors did to themselves to prepare for the movie.
    Starving themselves to lose weight and such.

I've seen it on Broadway too.
    The movie finally allowed me to understand all of the moments. I didn't "get" the entire story when watching it on stage.
    I now understand exactly what happened!!

Love it. Loved them all.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

2 members found this post helpful.

I enjoyed it. I could criticize things (way too many close-ups, Russell Crowe's voice, etc.) but overall it was just a really great movie-going experience. All the actors did well (thought Samantha Banks was especially good, plus the fact that she's never done a movie before and they picked her from the West End cast was admirable). Every time I encountered an order number at work today I couldn't help but say it to myself 24601-style
    Last edited by Natalie A; Dec. 26, 2012 at 05:18 PM.