The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Winter Trailering/Moving

For those of you who live in cold winter climates, what extra precautions do you take when trailering and moving a young (3 yrs) horse in winter? Is there a temperature you will not trailer in for a non-emergency? Blanketing preferences when trailering in the cold? Anything additional you do to your trailer?

I trailered 7 hours on a teens-temp day one year. I had all the windows cracked - by horse's head, in the stall, and the rear - and opened the roof vents to face open backwards. That allows plenty of air flow without any drafts. I did not put a blanket on, but checked on him every gas stop. He was already fully woolly and not blanketed, so this wasn't a big change.

I'd 'much rather err on the side of too much air flow and use a blanket, than end up with a stuffy trailer and a hot horse.

No blankets unless you would normally have them on that horse in the stall, or it's a stock trailer that's open. I won't haul if it's icy, but otherwise no worries. Much better winter than summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    No blankets unless you would normally have them on that horse in the stall, or it's a stock trailer that's open. I won't haul if it's icy, but otherwise no worries. Much better winter than summer!
    Exactly what I was going to say. I'd worry more about airflow in the hot summer than the winter cold. My horse normally has a blanket on (trace clipped), so that's the way he'll travel. Last winter, I went out a few times trail riding with someone who saddles her horses before she hauls. I tacked up my horse, and threw a cooler/sheet over him and the saddle to haul in her stock trailer. Trailers are pretty warm, aside perhaps from open-type stock trailers, especially if you have more than one horse in the trailer.

I am in VT. I will trailer at any temp and have a stock type trailer. I dont blanket normally and don't blanket to trailer (i do use fleece cooler after riding to trailer home if I went somewhere for a lesson).
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

As someone who has moved from regular cold winters (northern Utah) to really cold spells (Minnesota), I agree with the above posters about how I would blanket my horse (riding alone in an enclosed 2 horse). If I were going any distance, I be sure to have extra hay and additional blankets/coolers in case we got stranded. Also, be sure and check tire pressure before every trip and make sure all your connections are good - really cold does weird things (to say nothing of freezing the trailer to the ground).