The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You have a huge hormonal imbalance. Go to your doctor TOMORROW. Explain in DETAIL how you are crying all the time and depressed. It is hormones, not just "being sad because you can't ride." There's lots of publicity about post-partum depressions, but DURING pregnancy it is also common. Dr can't help you unless you speak up and explain exactly how you are feeling.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

6 members found this post helpful.

My OB/GYN once asked me what exercise I did???? He said that I had the strongest tightest down there musculature that he'd ever seen. So hubby needs some appreciation education.

Having had my kids I had to come to realize that sometimes you don't end up getting everything in life - you end up getting some things that you didn't know you wanted. So look upon this as part of your life's great adventures.

I would not have been blessed with a couple of horse crazy little granddaughters if I had plowed the long road to get there!

Your husband needs a long talk with an older wiser gentleman friend!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

I think it's time for a new doctor. Keeping active will help your pregnancy! And unless you're bronc riding, you're probably fine keeping on with the riding you usually do. I am sorry you're feeling so depressed, that's probably at least partially the hormones. Go find a good doctor who "gets" you and can help you through this!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I definitely think I'm starting to skirt the line between bored/frustrated and flat out depressed. I will do my best to talk to my doctor. Seems like between taking anti-depressants during pregnancy or simply let me do something I do daily, she would have to concede light daily riding is better than lying on the couch, staring at the ceiling all day and crying at night.

Thanks again for the support. I can't do this for another 7 months.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I have a friend who is a very active dressage competitor and she rode up until the 8th month.

I see it this way,

riding = strong core

strong core = easier baby pushing time

strong core = less lower back pain

strong core = quicker recovery time after the baby is born so you can get back in the saddle.
    This exactly. I foxhunted up to my 6th month. Rode to my 7th. Then it was just too stinking hot to do anything.

I'm still positive my 4 hour start to finish labor was because of the strength riding gives our core.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternate Realityyy View Post
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I definitely think I'm starting to skirt the line between bored/frustrated and flat out depressed. I will do my best to talk to my doctor. Seems like between taking anti-depressants during pregnancy or simply let me do something I do daily, she would have to concede light daily riding is better than lying on the couch, staring at the ceiling all day and crying at night.
    Does your doctor confiscate your car keys to keep you from going to the barn? I don't understand why you need your doctor's blessing to ride—JUST GO RIDE. You'll feel so much better.

3 members found this post helpful.

Like everyone else, I rode during my pregnancies. I had injured some nerve that controls your leg swinging forward when you walk but it worked FINE when I was on a horse!

I cannot imagine not, unless you have another health concern. I did quit riding babies when I was seven months with LMEqT, had one freak out and I realized I could not bail easily. Ok then!
    Go ride your horse
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I've never been pregnant, but the biggest birth control for me is that pregnancy and motherhood could maybe change my riding ability. Riding CAN be an addiction. I am addicted. I can't go 5 days without riding or else I become a mother dog and a half.
    Go ride... I've taught many a pregnant lady. No sitting trot past 4 months and no jumping.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    Is this a high risk pregnancy? Do you have a lot of health issues?
    This. I would never say "Ignore your OB/GYN" without knowing if there was a reason beyond "OMG you're acting for two now just rest!" (In which case I'd say find a new doctor, ideally one who isn't a mother and who can be rational about it.) It's entirely possible if I were pregnant I'd be barred from doing anything that would increase the risk of impact injuries as I'm a bleed risk.

Step one: Eat some chocolate.

Step two: Go to the barn. Who says that you have to ride to get out? I rode until I was 6-7 months, and was fine. My OB and hubby were fine with it. I, honestly, wouldn't ignore your husband's concern but just explain to him that you NEED your horse time, and perhaps find a good compromise (no galloping through the fields, starting colts, whatevs). He's your husband and he doesn't want to see you miserable.

I HATED being pregnant, daily walks helped me. I'd take the dog and we'd waddle two-three miles everyday. I ALWAYS felt better once I got some fresh air. It's easy to ferment on the couch.

Once I stopped riding, I still went to the barn and groomed my horse, filled water buckets, piddled around, etc.

One thing that I've learned, is to really adopt the "This too shall pass" mindset. Pregnancy didn't last forever. Labor wasn't going to last forever. The twelve wake ups during the night weren't going to last forever...and so forth. It's okay to say, "I'm frekin miserable today."

So get out there, go for a walk, snuggle your pony, and remind yourself that it's not forever! It'll be over before you can blink and you'll be holding your little one thinking...really?! I made this thing?!

Then eat the rest of that chocolate.

A fit woman has the easiest labor/delivery!! I galloped race horses to 8.5 months with OB's blessing. Having a baby is supposed to be a happy time. If you are miserable from not riding, you will more than likely (subconsiously) resent the poor kid. AFTER the baby is born you will have even less chance to ride. Hubby has to get a grip - your body - your/doctor's choices.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Sorry, I just cannot sit back now, I have had wine. I had 2 high risk pregnancies and I did not ride during either. The risk of having something go wrong and being in the ER and having to subject my fetus to the radiation of a CT scan was too much risk. I had both my horses do other things, it was a short term change for them and me and I was OK with that.

After the birth of my daughter I not only started riding within 6 months but bought my lovely heart horse 18 months later. My horse took a nice break when I found out I was having my son a year after I bought him. He learned to trail ride when I was pregnant and now only trail rides at 20. I started riding again after my son at 7 days post delivery.

It is such a short time you will survive, why take a risk. I had 2 C-sections and hunted after my son was born. My horse learned to trail during my pregnancy and became a natural at it.

Wishing you a great time caring for your wee one. Babies are the best !

Edit: I did show my guy with a toddler and young child in tow, he was a saint and perfect show horse.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    This. I would never say "Ignore your OB/GYN" without knowing if there was a reason beyond "OMG you're acting for two now just rest!" (In which case I'd say find a new doctor, ideally one who isn't a mother and who can be rational about it.) It's entirely possible if I were pregnant I'd be barred from doing anything that would increase the risk of impact injuries as I'm a bleed risk.
    well, having an OB/GYN who is familiar with motherhood is not a bad thing.
    Unless of course she was a couch potato.

I did not ride, but worked in a greenhouse until a month prior.
    My co-workers were a lot harder on me about making me not do stuff than anybody else I knew!

I wasn't allowed to reach over my head or anything, they (one lady anyhow) thought that would cause the umbilical cord to get wrapped around the baby's neck!

being pregnant is a time when you have to play it by ear.
    riding might not be the best thing, but sitting on the couch and resting won't do either.
    Not just because you can't put the rest in an account for later.

and eat the chocolate in moderation: if you gain too much weight you'll get pricked in the finger! No fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

You need to do things that make you feel good and give you exercise. As long as you have a safe horse to ride, you're probably fine. If your doctor is silly enough to say it's a bad idea, get a new doctor. (The caveat being that you are healthy and having a normal pregnancy.)

You want to be fit during pregnancy. They call it labor for a reason.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I agree with what everyone else has said and I rode for 4 months with both my pregnancies but it really is a personal choice. That said, I think it's important to find a way to enjoy your horses without the actual riding part. God forbid something terrible happens to any of us and we can't ride anymore for various reasons, you don't want your entire happiness to depend on your ability to ride. If you choose to follow doctor and husband advice I hope you still go and visit your friends, watch and cheer for them, groom, hand walk and feed carrots and enjoy the fresh air. And at least start taking yoga! Fitness is important to your health and sanity

Sorry but you seriously need to look for a new Doc!
    I wonder what she would say if you were a serious runner?
    I won't even get into hubby but I have had several friends who rode all through pregnancies, practically popped out the kid ringside and hopped back on soon after! A doctor is supposed to work with you, not run your life, being safe is one thing, but if this in not a high risk pregnancy I see no reason not to ride. Its not like you are running Rolex or doing Grand Prix jumping~
    Best of luck!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

^ Wasn't there that lady who ran a marathon, and then had her baby less than a day after she finished?

OP, I'm sending you a PM with my #. If you ever want to chat, because you're bored, need to scream, cry, whine, whatever... use it. I was miserable too, I know exactly how you feel!

I'm 48, had both children while in my 20's...UNLESS you are having some issues at the moment, or a problem pregnancy-which you have not mentioned, I think your Dr. and husband are way off base. I had a 6 horse barn, worked part time waitressing, and rode until about 6 months along with both children, until I felt a bit off balance (I am short legged and large shouldered-big belly tipped my balance more than usual)....Trail rides and ring work, no jumping.... I handled the horses every day, INCLUDING doing stalls/water buckets, etc. I did daily chores up until delivery days.

You need to stay active and fit, and NOT lie about on the couch. My God, is your Dr. from the 1800's?...I have had horses in my life since my marriage, having children never "stopped my riding"...YES, there were breaks, first birth ended up being a C section, but the horses do just fine having a few months off.

Good luck to you!

I've not had and don't want children, so I can't speak of the hormonal changes you're going through and all that, but I've seen you can have both a horse and a kid and it be good times. My best friend has a daughter...daughter LOVES her horse. Win-win!!

Good luck, and feel better.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

What's your horse like, OP? Any chance you are going to fall off?

I'm pregnant and still rode/jumped all my horses until 12 weeks when the baby is no longer as protected. After 12 weeks I hung up my bridle for the one that is not reliable. Your balance changes and antics that give you no worries ordinarily could result in a fall. And a fall is where the risk is, as I understand it.

I still ride my 20 year old jumper that I trust. If your horse is one of those, I'd go ahead.

I haven't spoken to my OB about riding...they have so little idea what it means to ride I think it is pretty useless to get their input. I am not high risk in any way, however -- if you are that would change things.