The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To my very uneducated eye, the first filly looked slow and not too sure of herself, therefore lagged behind the cow's movements. The second one looked like it was a game to her -- she wanted to pick on the cows.

I'm still choking on the $70k price tag though!

I recently bought a sweet little mare from that sale...not to use for cutting, but to use in ranch sorting. She is very broke, but doesn't have the get up and go of a cutting champ, which suits me just fine

I was shocked though when this guy went for $205,000 at the sale...as a 2y/o!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=z4VYLRSYjco

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    I recently bought a sweet little mare from that sale...not to use for cutting, but to use in ranch sorting. She is very broke, but doesn't have the get up and go of a cutting champ, which suits me just fine

well he IS a beautiful horse and one of the nicest, if not the nicest, 2 y/o in the sale. And he's in the 2013 Futurity. He will be in a finalist too, I bet. He's a very well bred colt too.

At the 2012 Futurity there was a tie for first place; each of them won 202k. Then the Reserve Champ next behind them won 148k. So the top three took home in excess of 552k. So his 205k price tag could easily turn out to be a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post

That video is interesting to watch. I've been away from the cutting pen for a number of years, although I do attend the futurity every couple of years or so. I will say, a lot can happen training-wise on all these youngsters in the coming year.

I'm a bit sad to see the "mechanical" way that these young horses are being ridden. I realize these are probably sale videos, but I'm not seeing many "choices" made by the horse. I don't see a lot of cow in that colt, either. I'd take the filly over him any day.

My parents had horses with Matlock Rose for a number of years. One thing he taught me was that you can't always depend on YOUR instinct to get you out of trouble. At some point, you'll need to count on your horse to make the right decision. If your training program continually over-rides the horse's instinctive desire to cut a cow, your training program will fail when the chips are down. The horse will simply give up trying on their own. That's what separates the men from the boys in the big classes.

I've always been a big admirer of Lindy Burch. Google her and see how she rides her youngsters. And, her horses LAST.

I'm thinking I will attend the futurity this year. I'll keep track of these youngsters and report back. It will be interesting to see who trains them and how they develop over the course of the coming year.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    I'm a bit sad to see the "mechanical" way that these young horses are being ridden. I realize these are probably sale videos, but I'm not seeing many "choices" made by the horse. I don't see a lot of cow in that colt, either. I'd take the filly over him any day....

... If your training program continually over-rides the horse's instinctive desire to cut a cow, your training program will fail when the chips are down. The horse will simply give up trying on their own. That's what separates the men from the boys in the big classes.

I've always been a big admirer of Lindy Burch. Google her and see how she rides her youngsters. And, her horses LAST.
    AMEN Go Fish!

you can't always depend on YOUR instinct to get you out of trouble. At some point, you'll need to count on your horse to make the right decision. If your training program continually over-rides the horse's instinctive desire to cut a cow, your training program will fail when the chips are down.
    You will hear exactly the same thing from such as Lucinda Green regarding event horses.
    http://www.horsemagazine.com/thm/201...lucinda-green/
    A horse that understands what you are 'there for', and knows that if you don't make quite the right decision, that he can fill in and be appreciated for it, is what makes for a great horse in any 'working' discipline.

I would LOVE to go eventing with my OTTB, but I have not the time, health or funds to. So he is my ranch horse-and he knows he is helping me with those cattle working/sorting/moving things that must be done. He has protected my husband from a charging mama cow. And he knows what is going on, and he steps up to help. There is NOTHING like a horse that can and will do that for you, and enjoy it.
    If you're working cattle, you HAVE to have a horse that will go just right where you want him. But it is not any fun (for me, anyway) to be on a horse that ONLY goes right where you put him, and gives no opinion nor response toward the cow or back to you. To me, a horse that steps up when the chips are down is the epitome of a fun horse to ride.

The colt in the video? Well, he has some outstanding athletic ability. I sure prefer him to the 'cheap' filly. But I'd still take the 70K filly in a heartbeat, given these videos as the criteria to choose by. I really don't like how the colt appears to have had quite a bit of rollkur/overflexion and 'put your head down and do nothing' (in other words, give it up and stop thinking) training. In other words, it looks to me like he has had precisely the training that Matlock Rose is opining against. Perhaps since the colt is so young, he can be taught to give his opinion and enjoy it, and he really is amazing turning over his hocks. But I'd take the filly with the fire in her belly. She wants to SPANK those cows!

Thanks for the words of Matlock Rose.

you can't always depend on YOUR instinct to get you out of trouble. At some point, you'll need to count on your horse to make the right decision. If your training program continually over-rides the horse's instinctive desire to cut a cow, your training program will fail when the chips are down.
    You will hear exactly the same thing from such as Lucinda Green regarding event horses.
    http://www.horsemagazine.com/thm/201...lucinda-green/
    A horse that understands what you are 'there for', and knows that if you don't make quite the right decision, that he can fill in and be appreciated for it, is what makes for a great horse in any 'working' discipline.

I would LOVE to go eventing with my OTTB, but I have not the time, health or funds to. So he is my ranch horse-and he knows he is helping me with those cattle working/sorting/moving things that must be done. He has protected my husband from a charging mama cow. And he knows what is going on, and he steps up to help. There is NOTHING like a horse that can and will do that for you, and enjoy it.
    If you're working cattle, you HAVE to have a horse that will go just right where you want him. But it is not any fun (for me, anyway) to be on a horse that ONLY goes right where you put him, and gives no opinion nor response toward the cow or back to you. To me, a horse that steps up when the chips are down is the epitome of a fun horse to ride.

The colt in the video? Well, he has some outstanding athletic ability. I sure prefer him to the 'cheap' filly. But I'd still take the 70K filly in a heartbeat, given these videos as the criteria to choose by. I really don't like how the colt appears to have had quite a bit of rollkur/overflexion and 'put your head down and do nothing' (in other words, give it up and stop thinking) training. In other words, it looks to me like he has had precisely the training that Matlock Rose is opining against. Perhaps since the colt is so young, he can be taught to give his opinion and enjoy it, and he really is amazing turning over his hocks. But I'd take the filly with the fire in her belly. She wants to SPANK those cows!

Thanks for the words of Matlock Rose.

Exactly Fillabeana!

I totally agree with Fillabeana and Go Fish about taking the 70k filly over the stud. He seems like he's been through the drills over and over again, and while he is very athletic and very well bred, he doesn't show the desire of the 70k filly. I was just shocked at his price for being so young and in my opinion (not an expert by any means), not necessarily the best horse out there in terms of ability.

This year will be my first year to go watch the futurity...and I am so excited!

1 members found this post helpful.

Cool TFF! Not sure if I'll get to go or not. I agree with you too.