The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Your favorite places to go skiing in the US

The hubby and I are planning our annual ski trip but we just can't decide where to go this year! We have been to Lake Tahoe and Taos the past years. We are considering Jackson Hole for this year but still can't make up our minds! There are so many places to choose from in CO also!

Where are your favorite places to go skiing? Why do you like to ski there? Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!!

It depends on what you like if you want hard core skiing with hard core skiiers try Crested Bute. If you want to mix it up with some night life, Vail. Jackson Hole is great, I spent my honeymoon skiing there.

If you want a variety of terrain and ability levels, you might consider basing yourself in Frisco or Dillon (CO) and then you've got Breck, Keystone, A Basin and Copper all right there. Then you can see what you like best.

I consider myself an intermediate skier, beginner to intermediate boarder (haven't boarded in awhile though). I liked skiing the tress/back bowl area at Keystone, taking time to get down. I didn't like Breck as much because it's a lot more crowded IME but there are a lot of intermediate runs. I wasn't a huge fan of A-Basin but I think that was mostly because I froze my butt off there in the wind above tree line and some of the runs I ended up on scared me. LOL

Jackson Hole is beautiful and my folks used to ski there quite a bit, but I've never skied there so can't chime in on that. Also heard good things about Utah.

But if you want variety, getting a condo in Dillon/Frisco puts you right there with lots of options. VRBO is a great way to find a place.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I am a beginner/intermediate and husband is intermediate. We don't snowboard, just ski. We do like nightlife and good restaurants. I also like cute mountain shopping towns. We do know that we would like to stay away from Breck and Keystone.

Well, I'll just tell you that Jackson Hole has shopping...but it's $$$$. There are some fun bars and restaurants. We had the kids with us though so didn't do a lot of the last time through. We stayed at an awesome place there though a few summers ago--beautiful view of the mountains and just about 15 min from the skiing. Did Yellowstone for a few days, then into Jackson Hole for a few, then on to my Gma's.

Anyway, I doubt you can go wrong there! I just haven't hit the slopes there. But if you go, do check out the waffles at the stop up top from the main gondola. They're yummy.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Jackson Hole is fabulous but a) the cost is high and b) the lines are epic. But the skiing is great. If you are considering htat I would head to the back side of the tetons to Grand Targhee-GREAT skiing, few lines, you ca pretty muc do laps. Would doubt the night life is too hot there though!

of course I loved Steamboat-had a condo there for years, also fabulous skiing and lots of ways to avoid the lines. And you miss the hell of I-70!

and heavenly in CA is also great. big sky here in MT? Big mountain (now called Whitefish mt resort) is one of my favs but you could be skiing in fog. Lots of variety for all skiers! And fun nightlife in Whitefish!

Jackson is great! The steepest place i've skied in the US.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative1 View Post
    I am a beginner/intermediate and husband is intermediate. We don't snowboard, just ski. We do like nightlife and good restaurants. I also like cute mountain shopping towns. We do know that we would like to stay away from Breck and Keystone.
    I highly recommend Park City, Utah! There are a ton of resorts (3 of which are accessible by the fantastic public buses and the rest you can get transportation to). It has a cute downtown area with adorable shops and restaurants. I didn't get a chance to check out the nightlife, but there are bars on Main Street.

My biggest issue with Park City was that there were so many resorts to choose from, and all of them were good in different ways. I skied there for 5 days and went to 5 different resorts. Next time I go there, I'll probably concentrate on a few resorts, but having too many choices is probably not a bad thing

On a side note- both Deer Valley and Alta only allow skiing

2 members found this post helpful.

Lake Tahoe is my favorite. Gorgeous and not so cold that you freeze your extremities!!! I prefer a bit of soft snow, not ice (intermediate runs for me).

I've been skiing in Washington State and France (Val d'Isere). France was too cold for my taste. The Seattle area is nice for evening or morning skiing sandwiched around work.

But for the perfect ski vacation I love Lake Tahoe!!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I second Steamboat best skiing ever ! We usually ski Mammoth which also has some of the best skiing, definately the most terrain. Have a great time !

Sun Valley, ID.

Good skiing for your levels. Lodging pretty much at the base of the mountain. Cute town, GREAT restaurants, good shopping. And a really beautiful area.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I'm going for Family Fun Times in Breckenridge the first week in March.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Jay Peak, Vermont. Unbelievable natural snow. Tons of glades. Best kept secret in the East. I've taken quite a few friends who were amazed skiing could be that good in the East.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

If you go to Utah I would recommend staying in Salt Lake City. It has easy access to the canyons which have the best sking and its only an hour from Park City. Also, it is accessible to powder mountain and snobasin (Olympic Downhill) to the north.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

I like the following if your taking kids:
    Grand Targee
    Big Mountain
    Telluride
    Sun Valley
    For off the beaten path there is Bridger Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    If you go to Utah I would recommend staying in Salt Lake City. It has easy access to the canyons which have the best sking and its only an hour from Park City. Also, it is accessible to powder mountain and snobasin (Olympic Downhill) to the north.

Does Salt Lake City still have those weird liquor laws ? Mr. Stolen and I went to Salt lake City in the late 80's and it was to strange to order a drink. I understand the ski resorts did not have the laws.

Utah. Alta an Snowbird are awesome! There are a lot of ski resorts within a short distance. Brighton and Solitude can be a lot of fun too. Park City is huge and I found myself on some really quiet runs, which is nice. There's also quite a few that I haven't made it to near Salt Lake City that I've heard good things about.

The snow is amazing. My favorite part about Utah skiing is the soft powder and beautiful blue skies and bright sun. I'm from Florida, so I do love bright, beautiful days. That, plus skiing is heaven.

1 members found this post helpful.

Is there snow out West this year?
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Park City is great! My dad has a condo at Canyons so I go there every year, but we typically do one day at Alta and one day at Snowbird and the rest at Canyons. The nightlife in Park City is awesome. There are a lot of fun bars and restaurants. For a Georigan, I'm a pretty decent skier... blacks and some double blacks (depending on how many libations of course ) and the new side of Canyons is really nice for intermediate to advanced skiers. Alta and Snowbird are great for anyone from beginner to advanced...
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Well, I'm basing my opinion on being a ski instructor in Vail in the 80's and I skied most of CO, Utah and New Mexico while I lived out there. I think Steamboat would be one of your best options based on what you've said. I think Jackson would be too tough a mountain for you and the "town" is a bit far away from the mountain. Do you want to ski-in, ski-out? If not, then the suggestions for Utah would work. Of course, I'm very partial to Vail, but it depends on what's most important to you. Also, my thoughts are based on what these places were like years ago, so things may very well have changed since then.