The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Africa issues

Ok talking about all this crap in St Louis has me wondering. How about all the violence crime, murder, mass killings of villages going on in Africa it seems all the time now? My SO's latest deployment was to track down Kony.. the RLA leader that basically terrorizes villages steals boys and kills their mothers/families in front of them.

If Black people are not wired for violence (culturally not just because of skin color) why is Africa such a dangerous place as a whole especially central Africa? In Somalia.... Uganda. South Sudan, Republic of Congo.. etc.. these folks will kill you as well as look you in the eye. Words of a US Army Colonel freshly from USA Africa Command. Why are their countries so messed up? Civil wars, mass killings, such corruption. Is that the white man's fault too? The poor regular villagers have no prayer with the bands of machine gun killers on the loose. (Watch the movie "Machine Gun Preacher" to get little taste of what it's like there)

He said it is a scary place, and these folks sure don't have the US Slavery discrimination card there. They are just plain scary. He also says any progress that is made is always followed by 10 steps backwards. Nothing gets solved...

Ok have at it.. hard hat and flame suit.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

11 members found this post helpful.

My guess is, it's way too many people in one area, with differing economic statuses and very limited resources. Also we came from Africa, possibly Ethiopia in particular, or Southern africa. So it's almost like all of humanity concentrated?

There's also so many different religions and different practices of religions and everyone wants to be queen or king.

It's also very hot near the equator obviously so people are very hot headed. Summers are also long, hot and dry I think, and mild winters possibly in the northern or southern parts of Africa.

Speaking of South Africa, there is the apartheid card.

Maybe this is really the root of the problems culturally then... centuries of cultural issues make people violent.. just like in the Middle East.

As a culture (and granted I understand Ethiopia Congo, Uganda are going to differ in many ways...culturally and religiously... are black people just so used to fighting for everything always... maybe it really is just genetics at this point?
    One of a Kind Studio

1 members found this post helpful.

It's possible, genetics, culture, all you've ever known. Possibly a lack of varied education or higher education. I don't believe australian aborigines are violent at all and they're the closest to africans there are. Maybe because they're spread out and too busy finding food, or they used to be a long time ago.

I've heard that Caucasian/European and maybe asian people have genes from other human species so that may have something to do with those people being calmer and more civilized so to speak.

3 members found this post helpful.

I thought this was an interesting paper....

http://dpmf.org/Publications/Occassi...onalpaper4.pdf

Very good point about the Aborigines... they are generally peaceful
    One of a Kind Studio

I think I've been had...this can't possibly be an attempt at an intelligent conversation

43 members found this post helpful.

When you don't even have the basics like food, water, and shelter, your thinking is very different. To us logically, it makes sense to make sure we have a government that is pretty just and truthful, good laws, etc. When you are so needy you can not assure if you will eat, live, or die, it is simply not possible to focus except for your immediate need.

I think it is crappy, no SH!TTY to think black folks are just "wired" for violence. Any color folks are going to get violent if every minute is literally life or death. If you live in a nice house you can chitchat on COTH about it. If you have no house or only a rude shelter, you focus on who may be coming to kill, rape, pillage, or worse.

If you can keep people poor, oppressed, and anger as an only outlet, you can manipulate them easily.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

28 members found this post helpful.

This is an interesting and fascinating discussion...not
    Last edited by TWH Girl; Oct. 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM.

8 members found this post helpful.

I don't think anyone implied that Africans or dark colored people are wired for violence. As I explained it's likely due to too many people and too few resources. Many different cultures, politics, religion but mainly overcrowding and economic statuses.

African Bushmen are among the oldest people around today, they still live the hunter/gatherer lifestyle. They're pretty spread out and are pretty peaceful since there's little competition for resources so no need to fight.

what about Umpa Lumpa's....aren't they more peaceful then those aborigines? Maybe if the Colonial Powers in Africa followed the same programs of child removal that were practiced in Australia, Africa would be far more peaceful today....

It's not crappy or shitty it's racist. Amazingly so. Sadly so.

29 members found this post helpful.

In short, yes it is the white man's fault. Horray for imperialism... not. Forgive me, but that is a very audacious and impertinent question you pose that passively suggests you do think there is a possibility that the color of one's skin is genetically tied to being more violent. To me that might as well be saying that because I'm blond, my IQ will naturally sit a few below a brunette.

At some point I will get past my "I can't even" phase and post some more intelligible, but right now the shock value is still sinking in.

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    Ok talking about all this crap in St Louis has me wondering. How about all the violence crime, murder, mass killings of villages going on in Africa it seems all the time now? My SO's latest deployment was to track down Kony.. the RLA leader that basically terrorizes villages steals boys and kills their mothers/families in front of them.

If Black people are not wired for violence (culturally not just because of skin color) why is Africa such a dangerous place as a whole especially central Africa? In Somalia.... Uganda. South Sudan, Republic of Congo.. etc.. these folks will kill you as well as look you in the eye. Words of a US Army Colonel freshly from USA Africa Command. Why are their countries so messed up? Civil wars, mass killings, such corruption. Is that the white man's fault too? The poor regular villagers have no prayer with the bands of machine gun killers on the loose. (Watch the movie "Machine Gun Preacher" to get little taste of what it's like there)

He said it is a scary place, and these folks sure don't have the US Slavery discrimination card there. They are just plain scary. He also says any progress that is made is always followed by 10 steps backwards. Nothing gets solved...

Holy racist and xenophobic pontificating, Batman.

I am beyond words.

33 members found this post helpful.

Going to read the paper that Pandora posted as it looks intriguing. Other than that I don't have much to say. My gut says it's in how you were raised and under what conditions and influence.

Quote Originally Posted by aurora171989 View Post
    I don't think anyone implied that Africans or dark colored people are wired for violence.
    Oh yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    If Black people are not wired for violence (culturally not just because of skin color) why is Africa such a dangerous place as a whole especially central Africa?
    <snip>

10 members found this post helpful.

If you were ever there, you might have a leg to stand on. Africa is a big place, you know, with lots of cultures and beliefs.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    If you were ever there, you might have a leg to stand on. Africa is a big place, you know, with lots of cultures and beliefs.
    But they all want to be kings or queens....

How about we go back to 12th century England where if you looked cross eyed at the wrong guy you got strung up at the local crossroads? Or the Wild Wild West where if you happened to be a village of natives in the wrong place you were brutalized by "civilized" American citizens of AngloSaxon descent, generally good church going Christians to boot.

There's nothing "race" about it at all, it's all about the current state of government, law enforcement and what can be gotten away with. We have lawless behavior in the USA anywhere there is a gang - read up on prison culture.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

4 members found this post helpful.

You really don't have any inkling of why there might be violence in Africa besides violent genetics or culture?

Nothing to do with years of imperialism, political unrest and poverty? The fact the you wrote your post in earnest is frankly terrifying to me.

25 members found this post helpful.