The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Catholics vs. the Crimson Tide-anyone?

Since MY team stunk up the place for the first time in years (Va Tech), my cheering is now solely for my family's perennial favorite, Notre Dame. What a magical season they've had, and they will be facing a very formidable team in Alabama. Its a BTDT for Bama and Saban, and though they've had a tougher season this year, I'm thinking (hoping) that this will be a great game that will be a full 60 minute chess match. I love ND, but I'm a fan of good football foremost.

Does ND have Touchdown Jesus AND Mother Mary on their sideline for the final glory this year? Or will Nick work his magic again for the possibly last time at Bama? (Rumors, rumors?)

Of course we will root for my Hokies Friday night against Rutgers in their B-S Bowl, but THE GAME will be the BCS Championship on the 7th.

Anyone else invested/excited?
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Nick's not going anywhere.

It will be a good game. I doubt, however, if Jesus really cares all that much about football. There's a lot of other stuff going on to be concerned about.

Three championships in four years would be pretty damn sweet. I'm invested!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I doubt, however, if Jesus really cares all that much about football. There's a lot of other stuff going on to be concerned about.!
    I've got relatives who watch all the games complete with rosary beads who will disagree with you as only diehard Cat'Lick ND fans and alumni will

Do you think Nick wants to stay and become the next Bear Bryant or is his ultimate ambition to win a Super Bowl? He has had 14 different coaching positions since 1972, indicating a man with ambitions, and I heard the Browns are interested. I remember hearing the same assurances from Pete Carroll and Nick himself before he jetted to Miami from LSU.
    Last edited by lovey1121; Dec. 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM.

I used to have a big button that said:

GOD MADE NOTRE DAME NO. 1!

I had planned to wear it the day after UT fired Coach Dooley. Sadly, it's "gone south."

I guess the sentiment still lives, however!!!!!

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Who would honestly want to coach the Browns? And yes, I know those rumors have been going around but I really think they are hogwash.

Nick hates to lose and it's REALLY hard to get through a pro season without a couple of losses. Even the sports psychologist they use, Dr. Kevin Elko, doesn't think he's going anywhere. He has a great thing going at Bama, he has his charity, his family is happy -- I think he's staying. I hear that he regrets leaving LSU because of breaking those ties.

BTW, Dr. Elko is amazing. I would love to sit down and talk to him one on one.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If this doesn't jinx Bama, nothing will.

I think the level of competition in the SEC is of a level above the rest of the country. Notre Dame has played no team yet as good as LSU or Georgia. I think they will be surprised at just how good Bama is. Whether they are good enough to cope is the big unknown. My gut feeling is that Bama is going to win in a walk, much as they did last year.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Who would honestly want to coach the Browns? .

Coming from Beamerland, I understand and applaud the longtime college coaches- while there is no doubt there is a ton of pressure on top college coaches, its nothing compared to the NFL. But lookey how happy Pete Carroll is now, in his third trip to the NFL as a head coach (7th counting assisant coach positions).

I just wonder if Nick will be content to stay in Tuscaloosa, especially if he wins another BCS CH (cringes waiting to be smited)

I think people just want to believe he's leaving so they can stop losing to him.

He's, what? 62? Would you rather stay and build a dynasty or start over from scratch at a NFL franchise where you may or may not have all the "say" you want and where you have no real "power" over the players (and who really has any power over the NFL guys?). Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I really can't see him leaving - not when his family is happy and he's got such a good thing going. And the Browns??? Really? Haa haa!

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    If this doesn't jinx Bama, nothing will.

I think the level of competition in the SEC is of a level above the rest of the country. Notre Dame has played no team yet as good as LSU or Georgia. I think they will be surprised at just how good Bama is. Whether they are good enough to cope is the big unknown. My gut feeling is that Bama is going to win in a walk, much as they did last year.
    Now I've surely jinxed the Irish- I hit the thumbs up by mistake (or was it???) for your post, Viney

I totally concur about the dominance of the SEC, and have long had a healthy respect for the determination and playcalling of Bama in the 2nd half, especially when they are down. Reminds me of USC during Carroll's glory days - no matter how bad they looked in the 1st half, "adjustments were made" and they rarely failed to overcome. The confidence that comes with the habit of winning is a formidable advantage.

The impressive thing about ND this year has been their ability to rise to the occasion and find a way to win. Yes, not against the same quality of teams week in and week out. And they had some quality wins - Oklahoma, Stanford, USC.

I just want a great competitive game - no blowout, and of course I hope the Irish end up with the pretty crystal trophy.

I think people just want to believe he's leaving so they can stop losing to him.

He's, what? 62? Would you rather stay and build a dynasty or start over from scratch at a NFL franchise where you may or may not have all the "say" you want and where you have no real "power" over the players (and who really has any power over the NFL guys?). Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I really can't see him leaving - not when his family is happy and he's got such a good thing going. And the Browns??? Really? Haa haa!
    Not disagreeing with you at all. As I said, I'm a Hokie - you know Frank Beamer, the coach with the most wins currently coaching, now 26 years? I've always thought that if I were a coach, being a college coach would be the dream job, like Bear and Bobby B and JoePa. But I'm a chick, and not a very ambitious one at that, and as I said, Nick's coaching history parallels Pete C's, which to me indicates ambition and maybe rolling stone syndrome, though Nick seems to value his family's opinions more than PC.

lovey, I don't know where you're from. You apparently have some "southern" in you, a la Va tech, so you know that we southerners don't put a bunch of stock in pro football. Maybe that's why I don't think he'll leave. It's hard for people that don't live down here to realize that we don't think the pro game is the end all, be all. Of course, Nick isn't from here, either, so who knows???

I'm a born and bred Jersey girl, though I loved my years at VT. I am also a HUGE college fan; I'm a Saturday gal-Everything must be done before the first good game on TV! And yes, we have Gameplan We live in Giants/Jets land and Husband and I have NFL Redzone for background while we go about our day.I do just love football, I agree, college is where its at

Yeah, going to Cleveland would be like going to Buffalo

Did you watch the Jets Sunday? I tried to find them and couldn't (on Dish). Poor McElroy - 11 sacks???

Nick's not going anywhere.

It will be a good game. I doubt, however, if Jesus really cares all that much about football. There's a lot of other stuff going on to be concerned about.

Three championships in four years would be pretty damn sweet. I'm invested!
    from somebody with your screen name...sacrilege...

For some football is a matter of life and death...here, it's so much more!
    I don't think Junior will be put in charge of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Well, my screen name isn't for the football team though I am a rabid fan!

Oh Lord, couldn't watch. Why they don't play Tebow after giving up so much for him is beyond me. I do love my Tebow What a mess. At least it shut Rex up May be where Micheal Vick the fallen Hokie lands next year.

And the Giants bite, too-we watch them for David Wilson from VT. We were hoping they'd come through like before and make the playoffs. 'Bye now. And oh I hates the Cowboys. Am rooting for Seattle now. I'm an NFL slut. No loyalty whatsoever except to VT and ND.

Big Alabama fan here, could not care any less about pro football. We have the SEC

I do like to catch former AL players in the Pros from time to time, but don't follow any of those teams.

Alabama's been on the big stage a lot lately, I think they know how to act like they've been there before, and I think ND has forgotten.All of this time off is hard on their mental preparedness. We're doing well this year with less talent than we had last year.

And here I thought this thread was going to be about the morality of permanent female birth control.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Alabama's been on the big stage a lot lately, I think they know how to act like they've been there before, and I think ND has forgotten.All of this time off is hard on their mental preparedness. We're doing well this year with less talent than we had last year.
    Bama doesn't have to act, God bless em-2 CHs in the last 3 years- those boys know what they're about. But this Irish team has had 0ne more week off, but it believes in itself, and has a darn good D and a pritty good O, so I am looking forward to a great game. As it SHOULD be.

I expect a fairly comfortable win for Alabama.

And I will cry just like I did during the selection show.
    <><