The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Birkenstock sandal recommendations

Does anyone wear Birkenstock sandals and have any recommendations? Also any tips on their sizing?

I need a sandal style that's especially tough for every day use and that also supports wide feet with a flat arch. Looking at their website, I prefer the plain Arizona style but would be open to pretty much any style.

Thanks!

If you have wide feet, be sure to buy the wide shoe. The regular will be too narrow.

I live in Birkenstocks....shoes, sandles, etc. They are built to last, too.

One hint, figure out what model you want and then shop it on google and eBay. You probably can get it for less than by going to Birkenstock.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Definitely love my Birks. I wear them probably 75% of the time - sandals, shoes, etc. Once you get used to them, they're the best. I do buy on eBay quite a bit. Try them on to find hte right size - at a Birkenstock dealer (not some random shoe store that carrys them).
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my birkies! Live in them! Have had a few different styles, loved them all but my faves are the Arizona. Find somewhere that sells them and try them on. Figure out what you want.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I have a wide foot with high arches and a high instep. I have the Mayari in a pearly kind of color and I get lots of people asking me about them.

Loff my Birkies too...
    I wear the single strap across the toes, just like the Old Dr Scholls with the wooden sole.

Check Amazon and the QVC shoes or Clearance walls....
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

I LOVE birkis. I have a pair in the normal 2 strap style, and a pair that are more like flip flops. I prefer the type with the cork foodbed.

I usually take a wide shoe because of the with of my foot at the ball, but I find the standard footbed fits me best in my birki's

I have the Florida (three strap). I like these because I have high arches, and I can adjust the third strap to accommodate them.

Really though, you can't go wrong!

One tip - they take a bit to break in. I got mine wet and walked in them until they dried, which shortened the break-in time considerably.

I'm on my second set of Arizonas in 15 years. I wear them as house slippers so I can run outside and still be wearing something like real shoes. Not exactly sexy, but very comfy and durable.

The break-in period required, however, bears repeating. They're really uncomfortable until they form to your feet properly.
    ---------------------------

I had to get a pair when I got plantar facititis and was crippled. I wore them 24/7 for about 6 months (and I LOVE to be barefoot.) I have very wide feet.

I can't find a link to the pair I got, but they have the harder soles and are a little nicer sandaly looking than the regular ones. I walked over new flow volcanoes, in water, everywhere for over two years. Never had a break in problem. There are some with softer soles. Maybe there's a difference. The ones I got were $80. Most are around $120.

Thanks for the recommendations - it's good to hear that they last! I've also heard it can take some time to get used to the feel, but they are really very supportive for the arch of the foot.

I used to like my Birkenstocks, until my sister bought me a pair of Mephisto sandals.
    I have high arches, high insteps, and I broke my foot (badly!) a few years ago - I find the Mephistos give me the support I need and are a little softer and 'cuter' than Birks.
    http://www.mephistoonlinestore.com/W...als-Helen.html
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!