The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Speaking of Vacations

What sort of vacation do you go on?

Right now money is tight but what falls into a cheap vacation? Less than $1000? I hear about inclusive packages, what are some?

Cruises? Mexico? Vegas (I don't gamble though LOL).
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Ha! What are these "vacations" you speak of?

Seriously though, my ideal vacation involves sun and ocean else skiing. I've been on a couple of cruises and really enjoyed them, but I did Princess and I don't think you could pull that off with two people for under 1000 including airfare to port.

I've booked 2-3 day vacations at a ski resort that was within driving range. But to get out to CO or WY or UT to ski would again, cost more than 1000 for 2 people unless you had all your own equipment and were splitting a condo with friends. I've done that before and got away for about 500. But drove out.

Vegas isn't a bad destination because you can fly there pretty cheaply from almost anywhere, weather is nice this time of year, and the hotels are pretty inexpensive. Even if you don't gamble, the shows are fun, there are great restaurants, and the pools plus sun can fulfill the water/sun thing if you're into that. You probably COULD pull that off for a few days for under 1000.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

LOL!! Well, maybe next winter I will! But, until this Bachelors is done all my funds go to school .
    WTF!! I'm crashed out on my friends couch, its 7 am and the phone just started ringing LOL! Ugh, do I answer??? LOL!! Maybe its Santa!!
    The Knotted Pony

I take fewer vacations, because I like to do the more expensive stuff, and, like you say, right now things are tough. This isn't going to help you at all, but, right now I am saving up like crazy, with my sights firmly set on an African photo safari. I'm looking at going in the Fall of 2013, but may have to postpone until the Spring of 2014 if I can't step up my saving a bit.

I have as much fun planning for a vacation as I do actually going, so looking at all of the tours available, scoping out bargains while still getting a quality vacation keeps me happy for quite a while.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm going to Barbados for the second year in a row. We found a house to rent right on a beautiful beach the locals frequent so it is cheaper than the resort beaches. We can do without all the 'amenities' provided by the resorts including the crowds and overpriced activities. The fresh fish market is within walking distance, we walk every day after the beach and choose what to make for dinner. I believe this time I will eat fresh red snapper rolled in corn meal for an entire week but there is tuna, swordfish...all kinds of stuff about the price of chicken at home.

The houses are not fancy. One of the houses we stayed in barely had enough utensils to cook a meal with, we had to be somewhat creative. That part was slightly annoying. But all was worth it to only have to walk across the street to be on the beach.

This year, the plane ticket is around $500, the house for 7 nights will be $45 per night once we are done splitting it 4 ways and we can eat as cheaply as $20 per day or even less if we want to be really frugal.
    Last edited by sketcher; Dec. 25, 2012 at 10:40 AM.

Oh Louise that sounds like a fabulous vacation to be!

Sketcher, your trip sounds just my style! Please cook for us poor COTHers stuck stateside!!
    The Knotted Pony

I know that if you are a Costco member, they have package deals. My chiro and his wife went somewhere in Mexico and stayed at a no-children inclusive place for like $750 for a week. No idea on airfare, but still, that's pretty nice.

And another friend spent $800 for her and her husband to go to Cabo. I guess south of the Border is the way to go...?

I know everything around HERE is spendy; DH and I went to Leavenworth a couple years ago in the summer time, which was awesome because it was actually sunny and hot as opposed to the dreary blah we were having, and I think we pulled a two night, three day stay with massages, meals and stuff for under $700? Still expensive for the time spent, but nice.

The only other vacation we took was to Little Cayman (honeymoon), and I don't wanna talk about how much we spent!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I love the sun and to be able to get there with everything I need in a backpack. We've been doing a lot of diving. One of the best places to get supercheap vacations is redtag.ca It's a company out of Canada (and it looks like you're near there) where they take planeloads of people all over. One of the cheapest places to go is Cuba, where you can get a week all inclusive WITH flight for a few hundred. No kidding. The last minute deals (usually within three weeks) can be amazing.

http://www.redtag.ca/

We used them about four years ago and went to Curacao (island just north of Venezuela) from Toronto with airfare, room, all food AND a free dive a day for $700 each for a week. It was just getting the airfare to Toronto.

ALL our vacations are family-driven. As in, we travel to see the family (parents, siblings etc). Which is actually great because both my family and my in-laws live in very desirable parts of France (Loire Valley, Provence, Jura mountains) and my in-laws try to have big family reunions every other summer or so, with all their kids, grandkids, etc (about 25 people). They rent a BIG house for a week, in a nice area (the Alps, the Dordogne, etc. etc). This summer they were debating between Sardinia, Çroatia or Italy (Tuscany) and most of the votes went to Tuscany.

Other than that, I try to steal a few days every couple years to go trekking with my sister, her horses and a few friends.

Never been on a cruise, never will, the mere thought of being stuck on one of those huge boats with thousands of people makes me shudder!

Some day, we'll go on a "cruise": we will rent one big catamaran, with a few friends, and sail around Corsica. Some day, Maybe I'll get to see the Caribbeans. Or not...
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

My last vacation was in July of 2000. I went to Iceland. Since then I haven't even had an overnighter anywhere. Between no money and farm obligations I just take day trips.

There is plenty to do here in Washington State. Why not take a long weekend and rent a cabin or go to a B&B in the mountains or by the ocean. Heck, if you come over here to the east side it would be like going to a foreign country.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

DH and I had a great very affordable vacation in San Diego. We really enjoyed the beach and got a bay front condo cheap on VRBO.

VRBO = Vacation rentals by owner?? That's GENIUS if it is!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Mexico is your best bet. Probably Riviera Maya/Cancun area. The cheapest time to go is actually during hurricane season. It can be a gamble though because you never know about the weather. However, during this time, you can find deals at nice all inclusive resorts for anywhere from $600-800 (including flights) for 5 or 6 nights.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the info all!!!

I am doing small fun things here in WA when I can. During my "spring break" in March (which occurs before the kickoff of show season-the Heritage Arabian show in Monroe) I am going to the ocean with friends to kick back for a few days.
    The Knotted Pony

I do a great cheap vacation. I don't make lots of money, but I love to travel. However, I also enjoy camping, etc. so I can save a lot by roughing it.

- I stay within about 16 hours driving range unless I can get a really sweet deal on airfare. (That was a lot easier in the early 2000s. These days I almost exclusively drive.)

- The more friends or family you can split the gas and room fees with, the better. I usually travel with at least 2-3 others.

- I would rather spend my limited funds on fun experiences and local cuisine than on luxury hotel rooms that I won't be in except to sleep. So I book the Motel 6, find a hostel, or grab a campsite and take my tent.

- Search the internet before you go and look for special deals, coupons/groupons, etc for the places you intend to go. Real touristy areas, like the beach, also often have coupon books available in the motel lobbies or the local visitor's bureau.

- I pick out a few big things I want to experience most, even if they have more costly admission. Then I fill in my schedule with free or cheap things like going on hikes, going to the boardwalk, visiting museums with free admission.

- I avoid wasting money by eating in chain restaurants that I can visit just as easily at home. Save a few bucks by packing along a cooler of sandwich stuff or by cooking your own dinner a few nights. Then you can find a few nice local restaurants to try for two or three nights.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    VRBO = Vacation rentals by owner?? That's GENIUS if it is!
    Yes! We've used it to book 4 times in different states and always had a GREAT experience! http://www.vrbo.com/

We alternate two types of vacation every year. One is to drive to Maine and stay in our family camp for a week (my family) and the other is to drive to Florida and stay in a rented house for a week (DH family). Our Maine vacation is usually about $1,000 and the Florida vacation is under $500. We live in Louisiana, so Maine would be more expensive since it takes 2 days to get there. Both places we do not have to pay for lodging.

Our goal used to be do Maine every other year since that is where i am from and still have family there and go to a new location on the other years. Now that his family has started to do the Florida thing, we will need to work out a new plan!

We have been trying to rent a cabin in Tennessee for a couple of years now, but it has not worked out. If you go during the off season, you can get a good deal. I'm hoping we can do it for 2014. DH just started a new job and his vacation will be spent for our Florida trip.

In general, try to get a place with a kitchen so that you can cook most of your meals. Look for free places to visit - I enjoy nature and most parks have a small GA fee.

Traveling with friends is a great idea. The more you can split the hotel bill the better!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    Yes! We've used it to book 4 times in different states and always had a GREAT experience! http://www.vrbo.com/
    We have used vrbo and homeaway.com to travel for many years now. Whether staying on the Texas coast or the Pacific coast of Mexico, we have been very pleased with the rentals. We prefer to stay outside the touristy areas and fish for our dinner at least 2 or 3 times.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

What about going to Canada? Or are you looking for sun and fun? You're close enough, you could probably doing something fun up there. (they do VRBO too!)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Super cheap and sunny? Cancun.

Excellent SCUBA diving and cheap and sunny? Cozumel.