The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default National Animal Identification System

Are you one of the equine farms that told the US Dept of Ag to stuff the National Animal Identification System?

I did but each year I now get notification that I need to jump on board ...and just got another Saturday

1 members found this post helpful.

They are sneaking it in the back door down here. In January you won't be able to sell cattle at auction without a permenent ID. I fully expect in the next couple of years that getting a coggins will require some sort of permenent ID on the animal. I've heard in other states that kids can't show in youth livestock shows without having their animals permenently IDed.

They found the front approach did not work so they have regrouped and are forcing it upon us in other ways. Just wait and see.

I think that some kind of system for a census/accounting of livestock would be very useful. I don't know the specifics of the NAIS, but yes, we need a national registry of some sort.

I have no problem with tracking livestock in the food supply chain. Why would you have a problem?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I've been vocally against NAIS - went to a hearing put on by the Texas Animal Health Commission on NAIS to give my 2 cents.

The short is - I don't think we need more rules governing what we do with animals and I think animal disease already is traceable (as has been shown in Mad Cow scares and such). (I have far more to stay, but I think the turkey is kicking in and I am getting verrrry sleepy ).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

The problem is the precedent it sets for monitoring farmers. The USDA already has programs to keep our food tested. It will spread to horses, and pets, and who knows hw far it will go...
    Quote Originally Posted by OneMarbleLess View Post
    SHE HURT MY FEELERS!!!!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

The NAIS system that was being pushed a few years would include our horses.
    Any movement of the horse off the farm would require notifying the government
    or face something like a $1,000 fine. This would include a trail ride, shows, etc. There was bunch of other "goodies" in it. The small farmer/rancher would be especially hard hit while the big guys would get off very easy.

2 members found this post helpful.