The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Human Bowed Tendons

I have injured (bowed) my achilles tendon for a second time riding. The first time it was both tendons. Both times nothing traumatic has happened, seems to be more of a stress injury. Ive been to orthepedist, etc, had custom soles made, wrapped my feet to ride, iced, heated, all of it without relief. Has anyone else done this? If so, what have you done for relief, especially to keep riding, and how did you keep from re-injury?

A little background, I ride about 15 horses/day from racehorses to show horses and everything in between. Really need to keep myself in the saddle as it is my job!

Thanks in advance!

You haven't been on antibiotics lately, have you?
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Voltaren gel worked wonders for me but it practically took an act of congress to get my insurance to cover it. I hear you can get it in Canada very cheap and OTC!
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    You haven't been on antibiotics lately, have you?
    Exactly! *cough, cough* Cipro...
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

The first time was the winter before last and I wasn't on anything. I was on lots of antibiotics last month for walking pneumonia and lingering bronchitis after. What's the connection?

Well, fluoroquinolones (along with some other potential side effects) can cause tendon rupture.

Quote Originally Posted by Larbear View Post
    Well, fluoroquinolones (along with some other potential side effects) can cause tendon rupture.
    very interesting!!

what is causing these issues? Is it the stretch put on your tendons from extreme and extended time in dorsiflexion?

I have found that the cost of Voltaren with insurance has gone up enough that it costs the same for me to just get Surpass from my vet. If you are in Canada then you are super lucky!
    Load up on the Voltaren.

Ice them.

Get a min 8" paddock boot that laces up. Tie them up tight. This will decrease dorsiflexion. Trade off is that your feet might go a little numb from the tightness of the boot at your ankle.

Also, you can look up how to tape ankles on google. Tape your ankles for support. This too will decrease the amount of dorsiflexion. Be careful when taping though. You don't need to pull it tight. Just wrap it without pulling. It will seem too loose but it's not. The support is still there.

restricting dorsiflexion will take some of that pull off of your tendons.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Maybe also consider western stirrups or those flatter/platform style that don't let you shove your foot so far "home". Heels down might make GM happy, but it doesn't please old Achilles much.

Another alternative to consider is the EasyCare EZ rider endurance stirrups. They have a thick shock absorber cushion and you can get a piece that goes on the top of the stirrup that takes even more shock out. There are cages for the front to keep the foot from going too far forward.
    http://www.actionridertack.com/c-144...aspx?pagenum=1
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    very interesting!!

what is causing these issues? Is it the stretch put on your tendons from extreme and extended time in dorsiflexion?

I have found that the cost of Voltaren with insurance has gone up enough that it costs the same for me to just get Surpass from my vet. If you are in Canada then you are super lucky!
    Load up on the Voltaren.

Ice them.

Get a min 8" paddock boot that laces up. Tie them up tight. This will decrease dorsiflexion. Trade off is that your feet might go a little numb from the tightness of the boot at your ankle.

Also, you can look up how to tape ankles on google. Tape your ankles for support. This too will decrease the amount of dorsiflexion. Be careful when taping though. You don't need to pull it tight. Just wrap it without pulling. It will seem too loose but it's not. The support is still there.

restricting dorsiflexion will take some of that pull off of your tendons.
    I think it does have to donwith the flexion. My first 7-9 horses of the day are galloping racehorses on the track. Those horses hurt me the most right now as I ride pretty short on most of them. (I'm not really strong enough to ride them leg long). Last time they were hurt I wrapped my ankles in vet wrap every day to ride which seemed to help a little.

The tape sounds interesting, might give that a go. I just looked it up on YouTube, looks pretty doable.

Well not exactly applicable because I bowed myself during an accident.

As really bad luck would have it, at that time I had a laser rented because my mare had bowed at the same time. It was ours for 3 months paid for by her insurance.

My vet scanned me the same day she did the 45 day scan on the mare. The mare's tendon looked great, mine was a wreck. She suggested I go to my orthopedist. Ortho laughed at the ultrasound pics and said I should take them down the hall to the Ob-Gyn because he sure as hell didn't know how to read them. So I called my vet back and she laughed. Told me to do for myself the same as I was doing for my mare. So did laser therapy 1x a day, for less time and at less power. Shaved the hell out of my leg (hair and poultice don't mix) and poulticed daily for a week and stayed off of it while wearing a walking boot and crutches. That leg is still stronger than my other leg. 3 weeks of laser therapy at different levels and intervals... and voila... my leg scanned better too.

I know that's not necessarily workable for someone working through the injury, but I know all too well you can't gallop a horse through a bow, nor can a human. At some point you need to stop and rest it.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Hmm, I was on crutches for about 6 weeks the last time, but did continue to ride 6-8 horses/day. It's just the one foot this time, and also seems to be much more minor but I don't have the chance to ride less horses this time and am also worried that this is going to be a chronic problem.

Most decisions we make with regard to our health come down to choosing between what is best for our bodies and whatever other thing (be it finances, inconvenience, insurance, pain, fear, etc.) stands in the way of doing the best possible thing for the malady in question. Tendons and chronic overuse do not make a happy partnership.

I had to purchase the wider stirrups. I picked up the ones from VTO. They come in chrome (and not just black).
    They ran me like $75 bucks. Not sure what they were called though...
    If you have your own exercise saddle they might be a good investment. They will give the whole section of your body (lower leg/ankle/foot) more stability.

They were amazing. They helped with my foot bed issues as well.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

What was the official diagnosis? Do you have a tear? Or a strain?

I cut mine and it was a pretty long process of recovery (I was in a cast with toe pointed down, then had to do rehab, etc.). I went very slowly back into riding/running because the Drs were afraid of rupture.

The tricky thing about the achilles is that sometimes to heal it has to be contracted (lifts in shoes, etc.) whereas for riding it needs to stretch.

I guess trying not to strain it during riding (maybe put your feet more home in the stirrups, or buy the wide ones) and being really careful in your non-riding life (per my Drs, the quick twists/lateral pivots are the worst for it) might allow you to rest-while-working. Or maybe you will have to do some rest-only?

Good luck!

Ouch! Yours sounds quite painful! Officially it's just a strain this time. Last time a strain in one and very small tear in the other (which is the one that is acting up now.) The shoe inserts I was given were just like what you described, raising the heals taking the stretch out of the tendon. I was on crutches when I wasn't riding for about 6weeks. It took nearly a year to walk well. I did ride through it but I had about half the workload I have now.

Unfortunately I don't have time to rest it completely right now, my big horse is aimed for Rolex this spring so he's back in work now and I have to ride tenothers to fund that endeavor. So.. I guess I'm just looking for ways to not make it worse until then.

I will try the stirrup idea for my other went horses for sure. And taped it this am per PURPLNURPL's advice. And no extra physical activities outside riding.

I would look into buying some new stirrups. Try the MDC's or something similar.
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by RedLetterSales View Post
    Ouch! Yours sounds quite painful! Officially it's just a strain this time. Last time a strain in one and very small tear in the other (which is the one that is acting up now.) The shoe inserts I was given were just like what you described, raising the heals taking the stretch out of the tendon. I was on crutches when I wasn't riding for about 6weeks. It took nearly a year to walk well. I did ride through it but I had about half the workload I have now.

Unfortunately I don't have time to rest it completely right now, my big horse is aimed for Rolex this spring so he's back in work now and I have to ride tenothers to fund that endeavor. So.. I guess I'm just looking for ways to not make it worse until then.

I will try the stirrup idea for my other went horses for sure. And taped it this am per PURPLNURPL's advice. And no extra physical activities outside riding.
    Just curious... as it relates to a hypothesis I had not long ago.

OP- Are you on one of the training lists? Or trying to get on them?

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I have chronic achilles tendonitis on my right leg after a fall. I did icing, bracing, either use endurance type stirrups(on my endurance saddle for trail) or wide based reflex composite stirrups with my hunter saddle. It took me months before I felt comfortable using my hunter saddle due to the flex. I went to a sports medicine ortho and got stretching exercises which I didn't find to help that much. I finally decided to give accupuncture a try. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover it. I have been going since last February and while not cheap($135 per visit) it does work. This year I started a medical flex spending account so I could cover it that way. I go every 4-5 weeks and this keeps it manageable. I tried to go a little longer and it was starting to hurt again. I also use Voltaran. I was purchasing the over the counter from Canada which is the same as Surpass. It worked ok, but I needed to use it religiously 4 times per day. My accupuncture doctor contacted a compunding pharmacy in the area and found that it could be compounded up to 10x what the regular type is. The RX I get also has 2% Lidocaine in it. I have better results with this and only need to use it maybe once to twice per day. Good luck with getting some relief.

Even if you are Rolex bound....if at all possible....take at least a week off. Do it now rather than try to push through it. If you don't let it heal, you wont make it around Rolex anyway and you can hurt yourself worse forcing you to have to take more time off. If you take the time now, you will have a better chance at managing it.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **