The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    I think we can all agree that there are good and bad people in every organized religion, as well as good and bad people that are not religious or not a member of an organized religion. Being a member of a certain religion doesn't make you a good person, just as not being a member of that religion does not mean you are a bad person (or need to be "saved").

I'm not actually convinced that there are good people and bad people...

I believe we can all be d1cks but that no one is truly "bad" or "evil" Man is so infinitely complex - I mean, how do we know who we would be or what we would be like had we had been born in someone else's shoes??
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

I disagree. I think there ARE bad people. They are sociopaths. They act like normal people and are master mimikers, but they have no moral center or empathy. This discribes a lot of people in the world and how they can do what they do.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesy View Post

I believe we can all be d1cks but that no one is truly "bad" or "evil" Man is so infinitely complex - I mean, how do we know who we would be or what we would be like had we had been born in someone else's shoes??
    True, most of us are a shade of grey (not in the 50 sense, lol, at least most of us) because we are both good and bad. I think there are a few very truly evil people, although I think most mentally ill people are not also"evil" (although my guess is a few of them are). In high school, I took a psych class and we had to go the mental hospital to visit the patients once a month. It was so depressing, especially because each month we went to wards where the patients were increasingly sick. Of course, we didn't go to the criminally insane ward, but the rest were bad enough. Truly a horrifying, eye-opening experience.

I wanted to add that I believe it's part nature and part nurture--the environment you grow up in can have a huge impact on who you are, but some of it is just in our nature no matter what kind of environment we grow up in. Some people had horrible childhoods but turn out ok, and some people are raised in loving homes and turn out to be psychopaths. It's just very complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I disagree. I think there ARE bad people. They are sociopaths. They act like normal people and are master mimikers, but they have no moral center or empathy. This discribes a lot of people in the world and how they can do what they do.
    As you know, I believe this.

I also feel buddhism gives the most rational explanation for it.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesy View Post

I suspect sociopaths are technically "bad".
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Well, I actually have done a lot on this. Technically, even though when you look it up, it says Buddhism is a religion, it's not. It does not believe in some supernatural being that is creator and runner/ruler of the universe, but in a person named Buddha, and people follow his beliefs. Its is a belief system. (I've had those as vocabulary words in my classes for many years and can still almost recite the definitions word for word!)

Sannois, that wasn't EqTrainer, it was EquiBrit.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Sannois, that wasn't EqTrainer, it was EquiBrit.
    And, remembering the season and time, some spirits of the chemical persuasion may have been involved there?

That statement seemed completely out of place there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    But wait Eqtrainer, on the other thread you stated that Religion is a mental defect. Buddism is a religion.

Sannois... WTF?!!!!

i never said that.

You know, this is getting old. WWJD? Think on it, hon.

One more reason to love my DOG.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, I actually have done a lot on this. Technically, even though when you look it up, it says Buddhism is a religion, it's not. It does not believe in some supernatural being that is creator and runner/ruler of the universe, but in a person named Buddha, and people follow his beliefs. Its is a belief system. (I've had those as vocabulary words in my classes for many years and can still almost recite the definitions word for word!)
    You are so right and it explains sociopaths. Goodness knows you and I deserve an explanation, no?
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Sannois... WTF?!!!!

i never said that.

You know, this is getting old. WWJD? Think on it, hon.

One more reason to love my DOG.
    OH MY GOSH, so sorry... sorry sorry sorry Eqtrainer.
    Yeesh, I have to pay better attention to screen names. Bad glasses.
    Please forgive me!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    OH MY GOSH, so sorry... sorry sorry sorry Eqtrainer.
    Yeesh, I have to pay better attention to screen names. Bad glasses.
    Please forgive me!
    Don't worry, post enough and all of us have sinned, sooner or later, to our utter embarrassment .

Get on your knees, say three Glorys and you will be absolved.

Buddhism is not a religion, its a psycology.

Technically you can be a christian and follow buddhist principles--- they do not clash.

I know because I am a christian and follow them. Its actually my main source of insights into christianity. Long story....

Thich Nhat Hanh's Plum Villiage is a wonderful example of this where nuns and monks meditate and pray together.

Sendenhorse, do tell
    ---

You know, I thought I would bring this thread back. So much good discussion on many different ideas, and all doe in a respectful way. Isn't that, or shouldn't it be, the point of religions, belief systems, psychologies, whatever? The idea is so that we can help ourselves understand each other and our place in the world and how to cope.

Isn' t that the crux of it? I know I feel I need to have a place and a responsibility in the world, or it all feels wrong. Don't we all need to feel like we're making a difference? I guess the sociopaths would say no, but I think it's true for everyone else.

What strikes me about most religious people is they are good people and do good things, and I want to be involved with doing all of that.

The thing is, being a "good person" and "doing good things" are not going to get you to heaven. However, God does call us in the Bible to be like him, and it makes Him happy to see his children doing good deeds, to show the love of Christ and be a light to others.

But what struck me about what this pastor was saying was that it's all about God and focusing on God and giving into him and how you just need to let him in to be saved and whatever. If you're that way, fine. But my thoughts kept going back to WHY do you have to keep preaching "look to God/Jesus" to save you and do right?

The one and only way to be saved, and go to heaven when we die, is to recognize that God has a son named Jesus that he sent to earth to be crucified and die, in place of all mankind. You have to confess with your mouth and believe in your heart. Romans 6:23 says "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.". Romans 10:9 says "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. It is about having faith that God is real, asking Him to forgive your sins, and living your life in a way that pleases Him. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God", but we still need to do the best we can to "be a light" to those around us. Some people have really bright lights, they have a joy that everyone around them can see and feel. You see those people and you think, wow, i want what they have! That is their faith shining for others to see.

It seems to trivialize people and what we all (most) know. We know how to care and behave and do right and be good and care. Why do we need to look to something else to do that for us? Are we that immature and unintelligent that we need something in the middle?

I've studied (inadvertently) a lot of religions, and this is what bugs me about them all. If I were to go the "religious" route, it would be more something like Buddhism, which doesn't focus on some intermediary to worship, but right behavior.

Do you know what I mean? I'm not trying to start a fight or put anyone down, but it's kind of hard to ask people who truly believe this. WHY do you have to worship Jesus/God, and not just be a good person on your own? I get the community thing, but . . .
    Most people who have accepted Christ into their hearts, have asked forgiveness for their sins, WANT to worship Him. He have us "Only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall have eternal life". Pretty amazing stuff.

I hope that was helpful.

I was wondering what happened to this thread as well.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    Most people who have accepted Christ into their hearts, have asked forgiveness for their sins, WANT to worship Him. He have us "Only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall have eternal life". Pretty amazing stuff.

I hope that was helpful.
    nah, not really.
    Maybe to the OP tho....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    nah, not really.
    Maybe to the OP tho....
    Well, remember the studies that show about 80% of humans seem to have the wiring to be believers.
    I guess those that don't are just left to wonder about all that and hope it doesn't become grounds for discrimination or worse, one more witch hunt of the unbelievers yet again.

Those in minorities tend to be unease, with good reason.
    Especially when it comes to religions, given their history, that many are still living.