The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Ahhhh and I just realized something...i hold dogs in extremely high esteem, and the often coined phrase (I have seen it on signs!) that god is dog spelled backwards is a compliment to me, certainly a god would share many of the same qualities of a dog. They do not judge, they do not care what you wear (or even smell like) they always forgive you, they are loyal and love you no matter what.

BUT I will refrain. Just wanted to explain.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    "

Many religions actively encourage their members to think and ask questions , to actively seek answers and don't accept things blindly just because someone said X or Y, ....
    can you give examples? it has not been my experience....I honestly want to know.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    can you give examples? it has not been my experience....I honestly want to know.
    The examples you are asking for are harder to give because it will vary greatly from person to person, between faiths, and among congregations.

The religious leaders in my life are always up for grabbing a cup of coffee and having a talk with someone. Some times I meet up with specific questions and other time I wanted to hash out my thoughts out loud. They've always encouraged me to look to multiple sources for answers and be skeptical.

I try to do the same with my religious friends (if they express an interest). We play "hot seat" at dinner where one person is in the hot seat for 10 minutes and can be asked any question although they can elect not to answer. Often times questions are very silly and secular in nature but sometimes we will ask the "why" behind an aspect of their faith or a value they uphold.

I guess it just varies.

I never said that I'm not religious. I said I have my OWN religion. And, yes, if someone asks you about your religion, absolutely answer them. But there have been several comments that I have found offensive. Like saying that if we choose not to believe in god, bad things will happen. Or that you must tell others about your religion because that is what your personal savior says. What if someone told you that the Flying Spaghetti Moster preached that his followers must spread his word? Wouldn't you be offended that someone thinks his/her religion is better or more right than yours?

My point is that your relationship with god is personal. I find the whole "Have you found Jesus yet?" thing as invasive and inappropriate as someone asking me "So, what is your preferred sexual position? Position XYZ is the best and I am now going to prove to you why it is superior and why it's the only one you should use."

And I never said people of any religion weren't raised in loving homes. I'm saying that my upbringing gave me the confidence in myself and my conscience to not need an organized religion. I was taught about love and compassion, right/wrong, and was taught to look to my own conscience. I do believe that a higher power gave me that conscience--that is why I don't need a book or a priest or a rabbi or a cardinal or a shaman to guide me. I guide myself.

5 members found this post helpful.

Please don't take offense, people. I haven't seen anyone in here being rude, just trying to express ideas.

Grace--Sitting down with coffee or just having discussions about religion are something I'd be all for in a church. I just fear the "will you accept Jesus as your savior" part of it. That was my issue from the beginning. The church with the amazing performance seemed like a great group of people to be part of, but I don't see how you could and focus on the good things of it without the having to believe what they do part.

1 members found this post helpful.

Paula, for the record, I can't stand Dr. Phil.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quakers, some sects of Islam, Bahai, some other sects of Christianity, Buddhism. Those come to mind immediately.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

@sendenhorse: I would start by looking up the recent thread on Judaism. I recall having seen comments from at least one person stating how their Rabbi encouraged people to think, ask questions and discuss, ...

and in my own congregation, the priest has actively encouraged people to seek the truth for themselves and not to be blindly obedient. He hasn't stated it in those exactly words, but that's the gist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Quakers, some sects of Islam, Bahai, some other sects of Christianity, Buddhism. Those come to mind immediately.

Paula
    yes, I have attended quaker meetings and study Budhism now with a ordained minister (christian) so that all makes sense. LOL. I guess I'm onto something.

Personally I am getting away from the pastor-driven situation to one where all are wanting to learn and grow and all of us can add insights. Not just the pastor.

But be careful what you seek -that individual search might lead you to some surprising places. I know it did me.

I recall an episode of "This American Life" called "Heretics" or something like that. A well-known pastor, through his own personal study and prayer came to a conclusion that drove away most of his followers and had him cast out as a heretic from his church. What he concluded was so revolutionary that his congregation went from thousands to a couple of hundred.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Ahhhh and I just realized something...i hold dogs in extremely high esteem, and the often coined phrase (I have seen it on signs!) that god is dog spelled backwards is a compliment to me, certainly a god would share many of the same qualities of a dog. They do not judge, they do not care what you wear (or even smell like) they always forgive you, they are loyal and love you no matter what.

BUT I will refrain. Just wanted to explain.
    Reminds me of the time I just had come over to the USA, we were at a horse show and I saw this very good, very nice horse performing so well.
    In my ignorance, I said "look at that horse, he looks just like a mule, the same dark brown, mealy nose."
    He did have the same coloring, which I like in any one of them.

Everyone seems to have heard me, they turned and looked at me oddly.

Well, later my friends explained in the USA, mules are second class equine citizens and I was insulting that very nice horse comparing him to a mule.

Where I come from, we had from every ten, nine mules to the horse and mules were much more appreciated, they were at least as good as a horse and better than many sorrier horses.
    Frame of reference tripped me there.

Have tried since to think, before assuming everyone is on the same bandwidth.

Oh Bluey, I had that very same thing happen to me. I told someone her horse looked like a mule and I got such a look. Like you I love mules and didn't realize that mules were second class citizens. It's like coming to the US and describing someone as fat.

Paula

For the life of me I can't figure out what God or Jesus cares about people. I've never understood the whole "died for your sin" or any of the most basic premises of Christianity. I love a lot of things about church and do go-we have a great pastor that gives great thought-provoking sermons and is very approachable... but... it just doesn't speak to me. Bounces right off of me.

I have cousins that are ministers and inlaws that are very religious and I would love to be in the loop but I just am not wired that way for whatever reason.

I believe in something but it's probably something more pagan, wiccan, spiritual...

2 members found this post helpful.

Ha ha Bluey and Paula, I am ok with being part of that club.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    But be careful what you seek -that individual search might lead you to some surprising places. I know it did me.

I recall an episode of "This American Life" called "Heretics" or something like that. A well-known pastor, through his own personal study and prayer came to a conclusion that drove away most of his followers and had him cast out as a heretic from his church. What he concluded was so revolutionary that his congregation went from thousands to a couple of hundred.

Paula
    Oh, I am not talking about myself, I have had quite an active spiritual life with many twists and turns and comfortable where I am at now. It wasn't easy at first to say the least.

I was just asking what christian churches promoted questioning/free thinking. It was not my experience, nor that of my DH.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    I have good decent friends that are Jehovah's. My "friend" so wants to turn me. I know it's because she loves me and I cannot be saved so we will never see each other again. It has become a huge barrier for our friendship, not on my part. I'm hopeless in her eyes and it breaks her heart. *sigh*
    I've had a good friend, a neighbor, and a mother of a good friend who are all Jehovah's witnesses. Went to school with them too, and none of them has ever. Ever. pushed their religion on me. Or barely mentioned it really. Which is so contradictory to the reputation they have.

Oh, I am not talking about myself, I have had quite an active spiritual life with many twists and turns and comfortable where I am at now. It wasn't easy at first to say the least.

I was just asking what christian churches promoted questioning/free thinking. It was not my experience, nor that of my DH.
    The church we currently attend, while a non-denominational Christian church, actively promotes questions and seeking. I've been to many that do, from Baptist to Pentecostal. I wouldn't personally stay with a church that didn't encourage one to ask questions and explore all facets of your personal belief and understanding.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

I can't really explain it, other than probably most people grew up with it...

To be honest, western religions just don't sit well with me, personally.

I've done some studying on religions & philosophies (but am in no regards an expert) - and the one the really makes the most sense to me is Taoism. In its most basic sense. Following Taoism is Jainism and Buddhism.

They just sit the best with my values and thoughts.

I dislike the word "God" since it has the connotation of some white dude sitting in the clouds being a mr. judgeypants.

I believe more in energy...which is why I prefer the term Tao. or "path/way"
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

3 members found this post helpful.

"I dislike the word "God" since it has the connotation of some white dude sitting in the clouds being a mr. judgeypants."

I suppose it depends upon which God you believe in. Many of us here don't view God that way.

Please tell me how you view "God", I am curious to know other views on this.

And I should have written it had the connotation for me of some white dude....
    Last edited by Bluesy; Dec. 28, 2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: clarification
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night