The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    To quote more than one post, you click on that little square with two eyes and a plus sign on the far right on the bottom of the posts, then on the last one, you click on the reply with quote tab and all those should come up, or has for me before.

For whoever that said they are sad for those that are not believers, well, don't you believe God made all and if so, maybe think that you God made them also and intended for them to be as they are.

I don't feel sad because some are believers on any one they want to believe.
    I imagine it is their business what anyone wants to believe in.

As for your search of others that feel like you do, LHM already provided plenty of sources to check out for the faithful and I am sure there are tons of them more out there.
    Don't give up, there is some out there.
    There is not much new under the sun, just keep looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Oh, I understand that the behavior of black holes indicates their existence. I just thought it was funny that the reporter added the part about 'invisible' and 'special' telescopes.

The insults regarding religion were/are OTOB.
    What? They obviously are not invisible since they now can be seen. Cornfused.

Also I haven't seen any blatant insults. Political uncorrectedness perhaps. I know for a fact I'm wired different, think different, approach most things differently than most. I've had 18 years of Christian teaching and I couldn't swallow it when I was a grade schooler. I even drove the Jehovah Witnesses away by question asking, and I INVITE them into my home.

To be honest I think religion today is modern mans enemy. Especially women! Making us second class citizens, manipulating scripture to keep women down. What a crock! Taking us into a unnatural patriarchal culture. Even birds know better than that... I could go on and on.

Oops didn't mean to quote you Bluey. I was practicing multi-quote and failed obviously.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    I even drove the Jehovah Witnesses away by question asking, and I INVITE them into my home.
    My mother has the best tact. She begins to witness to them, and before long they're all looking at their watches saying "oh look at the time..."

What? They obviously are not invisible since they now can be seen. Cornfused.

Also I haven't seen any blatant insults. Political uncorrectedness perhaps. I know for a fact I'm wired different, think different, approach most things differently than most. I've had 18 years of Christian teaching and I couldn't swallow it when I was a grade schooler. I even drove the Jehovah Witnesses away by question asking, and I INVITE them into my home.

To be honest I think religion today is modern mans enemy. Especially women! Making us second class citizens, manipulating scripture to keep women down. What a crock! Taking us into a unnatural patriarchal culture. Even birds know better than that... I could go on and on.

Oops didn't mean to quote you Bluey. I was practicing multi-quote and failed obviously.
    'S ok.
    Keep practicing, just remember this site's format is not quite steady yet.
    Some times tabs don't work as they should, see the occasional double post.

Here is one answer for you:

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/sc...ack_holes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    'S ok.
    Keep practicing, just remember this site's format is not quite steady yet.
    Some times tabs don't work as they should, see the occasional double post.
    Here is one answer for you:

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/sc...ack_holes.html
    Oh black holes are yesterdays news. I'm a science geek. Basically they are seen because of the energy released by the things getting sucked in. Childs play. lol

Now religion....OTOH has me totally vexed. Always has...I think it started when we were dragging knuckles to explain the unexplainable. Then used as a form of control as it is today.

1 members found this post helpful.

I tell them that I am comfortable with my relationship with god so no thanks. No reason to get rude and/or detailed unless they are pushy and they never are IME. Then again I have a HUGE dog who smiles so no one really wants to push the issue.

The kids always get a kick out of the stuff they leave in the gate. Some of it is cartoonish. One time my son was outside and someone came to the gate preaching (and I question that it might have been a cover, who approaches a nine year old child with no parents around?) and when they went to open the gate the dog went nuts, and they left. I asked him if he was scared and why didnt he run to the house? He said Mom, he was going to meet his god if he opened that gate any further!

God *is* dog spelled backwards
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    My mother has the best tact. She begins to witness to them, and before long they're all looking at their watches saying "oh look at the time..."
    I have good decent friends that are Jehovah's. My "friend" so wants to turn me. I know it's because she loves me and I cannot be saved so we will never see each other again. It has become a huge barrier for our friendship, not on my part. I'm hopeless in her eyes and it breaks her heart. *sigh*

I have good decent friends that are Jehovah's. My "friend" so wants to turn me. I know it's because she loves me and I cannot be saved so we will never see each other again. It has become a huge barrier for our friendship, not on my part. I'm hopeless in her eyes and it breaks her heart. *sigh*
    Everyone here is religious, or that is what they say, as it is very hard to admit any other, or they will not be doing business, having friends, etc.
    I have known some that changed churches as their business grew, because "most of my customers now are from the Baptist church", so he needs to be going there for his business contacts.

Anyway, there are many "prayer chains" and every time anyone is sick or has surgery they pray for them.
    I think they have special pleasure to pray for me and let me know many times, as they think I need special praying for, because I don't go to any of the churches.
    Then they are sure the prayers work well, since I didn't die.
    I wonder what they think, when those prayed for don't make it?

Well its normal for people to want to be around other people who share their interests and business stuff and whatnot. And to not want to be around people who dont believe the same things or question those beliefs.

I had to explain this to LMEqT a few weeks ago... Some little girl told her that her grandmother said she could not have her over for a birthday party because she doesnt believe in god. Who knows what was really said but it was as good a time as any to explain to her that people like to he surrounded by likeminded people and that she should try to understand that because it wont be the last time it happens. She is always going to be a critical thinker, she is probably going to always be opinionated and outspoken, religion and god will be just one contentious topic of many.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

How many people claim to be religious or in this country Christian just because "it's the thing to do"?

I went to Equitana in 1998 in Louisville. While there we (my oldest friends 16 year old daughter) were there we attended a John Lyons clinic in Freedom Hall, there were a lot of people there, lots. He asked the crowd, "Whomever accepts Jesus Christ as your savior, STAND UP!" I was horrified.

I was the only person sitting as far as I could see, the ONLY one. I call BS on 90% of those people. Not to mention, an international horse expo is the one of THE most absolute inappropriate places for a Jesus thang. I was spitting mad. Swearing all the out. lol

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post

God *is* dog spelled backwards
    Thanks for once again not being disrespectful or offensive!

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Thanks for once again not being disrespectful or offensive!
    Really? I *cant* believe you are serious. I LOVE DOGS!!! I think it is entirely possible that some dyslexic scribe screwed up and it was SUPPOSED to be dog! I am only half kidding, since dogs have so many admirable traits (other than rolling in and eating poop and carrion).

Lighten up we can have fun talking about god and dogs too. If you assume everyone is being disrespectful you will for sure be offended. Remember, he is not my god so I am not being disrespectful to anyone.
    ---

4 members found this post helpful.

Remember, he is not my god so I am not being disrespectful to anyone.
    And your little girl isn't my child but I'm pretty sure you'd find it disrespectful if I said something rude about her. I don't think there is any reason people cannot have a light-hearted discussion or joke. However it does seem tactless to say that because He isn't *your* God then you shouldn't feel bad for cracking a joke even if it was offensive (not that I found it offensive, it's more of the principle).

Lighten up we can have fun talking about god and dogs too. If you assume everyone is being disrespectful you will for sure be offended. Remember, he is not my god so I am not being disrespectful to anyone.
    Well. no...you are being disrespectful to those you know that do believe in Him.

You posts are highly offensive. Actually the most offensive posts on this thread.

I would NEVER behave as you are and try to toss it off with a 'lighten up.'

So sorry...you don't get a hall pass trying to be cute and smug.

People accuse believers of preaching and being offensive...well sister you just took front row.

But please take my comments lightly.

Question-how would you feel if I repeatedly made unkind comments about your daughter and told you to 'lighten up?'

Just think about it-I really never thought you were such an unkind person as you have presented on this thread.

I am not asking you to agree with my beliefs. I am asking you for tolerance and forethought in your comments.

I am struggling to see that you don't get this.

And thank you for reminding me why I stepped away the first time.

Your lack of respect and rudeness is bringing out a side in me I would prefer to leave in my past.

3 members found this post helpful.

" Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer

Remember, he is not my god so I am not being disrespectful to anyone."

?!?

I think GLR is right. While the person cracking the joke may not believe X, Y or Z, they should realize the implications it has for people that do. There have been times I've been in the company of people who have poked fun at another person's belief system and even though it wasn't one I subscribed to, I felt bad for the person and also somewhat offended that someone would feel ok with poking fun at a sensitive subject.

I'm not a member of any organized religion partly because anything to do with humanity has corruption and imperfection hardwired at inception, and the more people involved the more imperfections. My religion is only as good, as honest, as imperfect as I am. I follow my own moral compass instead of turning to another person for the answers. And I don't have to pick and choose which parts of my religion I agree with, because my religion consists only of me.

I admit I haven't read all 18 pages, but some of what I've read is appalling. Why can't people keep their religion between themselves and god? It's nobody else's business, and frankly trying to impose your religious beliefs on others smacks of arrogance and hubris.

I don't know. Maybe I don't need to cling to scriptures or a religious institution because I was raised in an atmosphere of love, compassion, kindness, and free thinking. We were encouraged to ask questions, to form our own opinions, to follow our own beliefs and hearts. Yes, we went to church, but it wasn't presented as the answer to all our questions. I'm certainly not saying that people who are members of religious institutions are mindless sheep, just saying I was taught to be more independent and rely on my own conscience first.

5 members found this post helpful.

"I'm certainly not saying that people who are members of religious institutions are mindless sheep, just saying I was taught to be more independent and rely on my own conscience first. "

Many religions actively encourage their members to think and ask questions , to actively seek answers and don't accept things blindly just because someone said X or Y, ...

I've heard this from people of both Christian and Non-Christian faiths.

Ok, I apologize. I truly and sincerely did not think that was offensive. I would not post something offensive to anyone on purpose. I LOVE DOGS, seriously. In fact, I routinely say oh my dog and OMD instead of OMG. I really am sorry that it offends you and will refrain from saying dog instead of god on this thread.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post

I admit I haven't read all 18 pages, but some of what I've read is appalling. Why can't people keep their religion between themselves and god? It's nobody else's business, and frankly trying to impose your religious beliefs on others smacks of arrogance and hubris.
    Perhaps I am skewed by my personal beliefs but I don't feel like I've read anything anyone would consider appalling?

This thread is "can someone explain to me the religious, Jesus thing." No one on here is trying to "impose" beliefs, but we are sharing experiences, beliefs, research, etc. Sure, there a bit of head butting but I think we've kept it more than civil by COTH standards.

Frizzle,

1. The question was asked -that people of faith try to explain it. That should be an answer to your, "Why can't people keep their religion between themselves and god? It's nobody else's business..." In fact, my first thought at the OP's question was, "It is intensely personal and hard to describe".

2. I don't cling to anything, and there are many in faith who were also raised in atmospheres of love, compassion, kindness and free thinking. Your post implies that faith is a pathology, a symptom of some dysfunction. Take care whom you call intolerant!

And finally, be careful of bandying about, "free thinking" and "independent" because often it is the hard worn, free thinking, non-sheep adult who returns or turns to faith. Sometimes I think people are so afraid of being thought of as in any way faithful to a belief that they would ignore useful admonitions simply because of the source. For example, if Andrew Weill or Dr Phil said,

"Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day’s out. Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed.... If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived.

Make careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.

Be very sure now, you who have been trained to a self-sufficient maturity, that you enter into a generous common life with those who have trained you, sharing all the good things that you have and experience."

But god help you if it came out of the bible. Nothing good can come out of there!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).