The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Bluey, have you read The Tao of Pooh or The Te of Piglet? Both great books explaining the teachings of Taoism. To my understanding, it's more a philosophy than a religion. There's a lot about Taoism that I really like/connect with, but I wouldn't necessarily call myself a Taoist.

I think you mean me, and not "Bluey" Darned one letter difference!

Yes, I have read and own both books - I think they are great. And I completely agree with connecting with Taoism, but not calling myself one - I dislike all labels in general, though.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Oops, my bad, BluSey!

Whoa, this thread has derailed! What a shame.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

As a Christian and someone who studies the bible a lot, this thread is amazing. Rarely do I get such a diverse glimpse into what our faith looks like to non-christians. Sure, I have conversations, watch TV, read books, but to have discussion with this many people with this level of honesty - ie: people have been able to say what they are really thinking, is priceless. As an individual Christian, in our American society today, I know I am classified, generalized, sterotyped, and that's OK, because people who know me, know me for who I am. I don't just hang out with Christians, in fact most of my friends are not Christians, I don't hide my faith, but I don't broadcast it specifically either. I will have discussions about my faith when asked, and will quote bible scritpture (or concepts actually since I'm not one to memorize). I will also correct misconceptions about the bible if challenged but if you are my casual friend, you wouldn't know much about my faith unless you asked me. I will use God as an attempt to comfort rather than condem a non-christian. For all these reasons, I don't often get to see this level of thinking from non-christians. Christians that I know on the other hand, we debate a lot with each other and are constatntly trying to figure it all out. Which is a joke on us actually because there is so much we don't know. But, I study the bible, debate the bible, read the bible, it is my ultimate guide to what I know about God, Jesus, and my purpose in life..... So thank you everyone for being so honest and ESP thank you to the OP for posing this question!!!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

I love your post, f4leggin! I'm another person who loves the insight into other people's lives and beliefs. I have such a small circle in which I travel that we all think alike, I think. We are all believers and don't really talk about it.

One thing the internet and bb's like this has provided is a window on the big picture.

I really appreciate and value everyone's opinions. Truly!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by f4leggin View Post
    As a Christian and someone who studies the bible a lot, this thread is amazing. Rarely do I get such a diverse glimpse into what our faith looks like to non-christians. Sure, I have conversations, watch TV, read books, but to have discussion with this many people with this level of honesty - ie: people have been able to say what they are really thinking, is priceless. As an individual Christian, in our American society today, I know I am classified, generalized, sterotyped, and that's OK, because people who know me, know me for who I am. I don't just hang out with Christians, in fact most of my friends are not Christians, I don't hide my faith, but I don't broadcast it specifically either. I will have discussions about my faith when asked, and will quote bible scritpture (or concepts actually since I'm not one to memorize). I will also correct misconceptions about the bible if challenged but if you are my casual friend, you wouldn't know much about my faith unless you asked me. I will use God as an attempt to comfort rather than condem a non-christian. For all these reasons, I don't often get to see this level of thinking from non-christians. Christians that I know on the other hand, we debate a lot with each other and are constatntly trying to figure it all out. Which is a joke on us actually because there is so much we don't know. But, I study the bible, debate the bible, read the bible, it is my ultimate guide to what I know about God, Jesus, and my purpose in life..... So thank you everyone for being so honest and ESP thank you to the OP for posing this question!!!!!
    I think this represents most people who are "Christian" Or who have accepted Jesus as their savior.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I often wonder what upbringing has to do with it all.

I was raised going to Sunday school every Sunday. Bible School in the summer. Went to a Baptist private school for 6-7-8 grade. Memorised the scriptures. Loved singing in Church. Loved the Tureen meal once a month. Loved the social aspect of all of it.

Then my parents divorced. Our pastor divorced. My mother married the pastor. Wow. That guy was an a$$hat. Oh how the mighty have fallen. So I have had a unique glimpse into church politics, pettiness and the underbelly of the organization at a young and impressionable age and it is no wonder I will not join a church. But I digress.

My point was, that I was raised with the childhood simplistic understanding of Bible stories. I lived (live) in a W.A.S.P. conservative aggrarian town. We had no contact or understanding of diverse beliefs. When I became an adult, my natural curiousity and love of trivia and history expanded to include world religions. I found that the world is much older. Much bigger. Much more diverse than my simple Baptist and Methodist upbringing. There was more to it all than the stories I had learned. I had a simple childlike understanding. Then I began to wonder... what makes the Christians right? Maybe its the Jews or the Native Americans or one of the Eastern religions.

I have doubted and sought adult answers to pretty much every truth I was taught to blindly accept as a child. I felt these simple, narrow minded, judgemental, prejudice nutters had tried to brain wash me. What else are they not telling me?

I began to see how religion had been used to control populations for millenia. I decided I could not trust anyone else's view of the world on blind faith. I do believe there is a God. I just do not buy into John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Had I come to religion as an adult instead of being raised into it as a child, I may feel completely differently. So I guess my views are a product of rebellion.

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow, I went traveling for a day and the conversation continued!

I had a revelation while in the car yesterday. If one couches God as this white haired old dude in the sky pulling puppet strings and getting someone a new car because they prayed for it, which is how Believers had once seemed to me, then that's pretty silly.

But in listening to LMH's linked podcasts, I listened to one on prayer and realized that I've always believed in *something* which I used to call energy or "the Universe" and while contemplating how I interact with this, I realized that that is exactly the God of the Bible. Big, unknowable, omnipresent, love...

I will say that when I started reading this thread, I was agnostic, not raised with Christianity, attended an Episcopalian church where questioning was highly appropriate and included people of all faiths including Hindus in the service (a University church).

I'm starting to understand Jesus as being sent to model what a perfect human being would be. Turning the other cheek, loving one's neighbor as ourselves, being perfectly willing to accept things that happen in our lives. I'm starting to understand prayer as something other than a laundry list of wants as something that you do to plug into this vast unknowable power/energy in order to find peace.

The stories in the Bible (OT) that seem like a really angry god was involved, I'm seeing those a bit differently too.

So I just want to thank LMH, in particular, for sharing what she shared.

I wanted to also say, it is hard for people on both sides of this to see the offense they give the other. When I was closest to being atheist (in my agnosticness) it was uncomfortable to read/hear people speak about God, because it often did come across as pushy. I hate the jargon of being "saved" because it implies that whole hellfire and brimstone thing.

But on the other hand, people who don't believe need to understand that it's lingo, as much as using the term round is when talking about how a horse goes. Yes, there are some that believe the stereotype that you see, but when you talk to some people more in depth, you may find that what it sounds like is not quite what they mean. It's just hard to get past the lingo (just like we don't literally mean that the horse turns into a ball when we say that a horse is round).

To my Christian friends on this thread, I don't believe that others here mean to be so offensive. I think that it is hard for them to understand that it seems barely reverent to mention God by name, so to hear it being poked fun at is hard. But God does not need us to defend Him. God is bigger than that. I still struggle with the term God because it seems too small, but I have always believed that everything is linked on this earth and in space.

For my friends here who are not Christians, do you know that cool sense of wonder when you read a new scientific discovery that you get? That deep, "wow, this is so cool, they've discovered this new x that causes us to rethink everything we thought about y"? And wow, isn't Life/Our Universe so amazing? That is the same power that educated religious folk believe in.

And please try to understand that by dismissing the beliefs of all Christians because of some crummy ones (Westboro Baptists for instance) you are doing the same thing as accusing all Muslims because of some crummy ones (jihadists). Neither religion believes that it is right to behave in the ways that they do, or believes the things that they do.

Thank you everyone for continuing to try to keep this conversation civil.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Wow, I went traveling for a day and the conversation continued!

I had a revelation while in the car yesterday. If one couches God as this white haired old dude in the sky pulling puppet strings and getting someone a new car because they prayed for it, which is how Believers had once seemed to me, then that's pretty silly.

But in listening to LMH's linked podcasts, I listened to one on prayer and realized that I've always believed in *something* which I used to call energy or "the Universe" and while contemplating how I interact with this, I realized that that is exactly the God of the Bible. Big, unknowable, omnipresent, love...

I will say that when I started reading this thread, I was agnostic, not raised with Christianity, attended an Episcopalian church where questioning was highly appropriate and included people of all faiths including Hindus in the service (a University church).

I'm starting to understand Jesus as being sent to model what a perfect human being would be. Turning the other cheek, loving one's neighbor as ourselves, being perfectly willing to accept things that happen in our lives. I'm starting to understand prayer as something other than a laundry list of wants as something that you do to plug into this vast unknowable power/energy in order to find peace.

The stories in the Bible (OT) that seem like a really angry god was involved, I'm seeing those a bit differently too.

So I just want to thank LMH, in particular, for sharing what she shared.

I wanted to also say, it is hard for people on both sides of this to see the offense they give the other. When I was closest to being atheist (in my agnosticness) it was uncomfortable to read/hear people speak about God, because it often did come across as pushy. I hate the jargon of being "saved" because it implies that whole hellfire and brimstone thing.

But on the other hand, people who don't believe need to understand that it's lingo, as much as using the term round is when talking about how a horse goes. Yes, there are some that believe the stereotype that you see, but when you talk to some people more in depth, you may find that what it sounds like is not quite what they mean. It's just hard to get past the lingo (just like we don't literally mean that the horse turns into a ball when we say that a horse is round).

To my Christian friends on this thread, I don't believe that others here mean to be so offensive. I think that it is hard for them to understand that it seems barely reverent to mention God by name, so to hear it being poked fun at is hard. But God does not need us to defend Him. God is bigger than that. I still struggle with the term God because it seems too small, but I have always believed that everything is linked on this earth and in space.

For my friends here who are not Christians, do you know that cool sense of wonder when you read a new scientific discovery that you get? That deep, "wow, this is so cool, they've discovered this new x that causes us to rethink everything we thought about y"? And wow, isn't Life/Our Universe so amazing? That is the same power that educated religious folk believe in.

And please try to understand that by dismissing the beliefs of all Christians because of some crummy ones (Westboro Baptists for instance) you are doing the same thing as accusing all Muslims because of some crummy ones (jihadists). Neither religion believes that it is right to behave in the ways that they do, or believes the things that they do.

Thank you everyone for continuing to try to keep this conversation civil.
    That is an interesting, insightful post, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    I understand this completely. I go beyond "uncomfortable". My hackles go up. But I do realise that this is largely from my negative experiences with "Christians". The ones that try to save you I associate with the Nutters I know/have known. Oh and let me add here: the worst horse abuse I have ever seen in.my.life (I walked into the barn as they were picking up the peices) was at the hands of a minister who then preached to his church (I am going by second hand info here) the similarities between beating that horse and the lashing of Jesus, complete with longe whip in hand at the pulpit.
    **barf**

But there are plenty of other Christians out there who can influence me without preaching to me. Those are the ones who I model my life after.

I'm with you SmartAlex, but maybe someone here who knows the bible wayyyy better than I do can share the verse where Jesus says something along the lines of, there will be people who claim to know me, but I will say that isn't true (because of the bad acts that they did in his name). Jesus, of course, said it much better than I ever could.

And that is true of all people right? There are some in any group that we belong to that we roll our eyes about and say "oh dear, we are not like those people".

Even in that we are being pretty arrogant, but that's another thought and thread entirely.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I understand this completely. I go beyond "uncomfortable". My hackles go up. But I do realise that this is largely from my negative experiences with "Christians".
    Same here. Have had way too many "trying to save your pagan soul" comments not to have a serious problem with organized religion... and in this area, that means Christians.

But there are plenty of other Christians out there who can influence me without preaching to me. Those are the ones who I model my life after.
    This. Funniest part is that for the last 10-ish years, this very established anti-organized religion person has been boarding/riding/training at a fairly open Christian riding center. I don't think the majority of patrons really know i'm not Christian and I've had a few pushy comments (like the boarder who, upon realizing I was feeding every Sunday morning, asked me when I make time for church). But the owner knows. She is one of the best people I know... kind, generous to a fault, and really tries to be a good person. She is VERY open about her beliefs but has not once made any kind of comment to me. Not even when I was crying on her shoulder... literally (and several times)... when XH left. She's an amazing person and if more Christians (or any organized religion followers) were more like her, I'd probably be less anti-organized religion.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I think this is one of the coolest things about faith. If you truly believe in the tenets set out by your faith, they will shine through your words and actions. I also see it in people who may not identify with a specific religion or question the existence of God but believe in living a live driven by peace and kindness. As long as you are founded in good values then you can positively impact the lives of those around you.

My current horse trainer, I've used her for 13 years, she puts an awesome start on my youngsters, is a devout Christian. I guess I don't know what denomination. I do know she does her own prayer deal everyday during her lunch hour.

I love her to death and she is the epitome of what I consider a true Christian. She does not preach or offend, in fact the only reason I know what I know is because it's a small community.

However the church needs to get out and stay out politics.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    However the church needs to get out and stay out politics.
    Could NOT agree MORE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesy View Post
    Please tell me how you view "God", I am curious to know other views on this.

And I should have written it had the connotation for me of some white dude....
    As someone who isn't religious, but throws out the word "God," I can give you my perspective. When I say "God" I don't start in my head with an idea of a person sitting on the clouds with a white robe and a checklist of all the people in the world who have done good deeds and bad deeds (like Santa, I guess! ).

I use "God" interchangeably with "Universe" or "Creator" or "Cosmos" - something that is greater than anything definable but needs a name so that others know what I mean. Like I've said of my husband's horse, "God put his legs on crooked." Or when I've had an amazing meditation experience and received thoughts or messages that have helped me on my own journey, I've said "The Universe told me..." or whatever.

To me, it is a way to define something that I feel is bigger than me that really has no explanation. It transcends religion and humanity. It is available to everyone. It is science, it is nature, it is the unexplainable, it is the explainable, it is an energy, it is an essence, it is everything and it is nothing.

How's that for confusing?
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    As someone who isn't religious, but throws out the word "God," I can give you my perspective. When I say "God" I don't start in my head with an idea of a person sitting on the clouds with a white robe and a checklist of all the people in the world who have done good deeds and bad deeds (like Santa, I guess! ).

I use "God" interchangeably with "Universe" or "Creator" or "Cosmos" - something that is greater than anything definable but needs a name so that others know what I mean. Like I've said of my husband's horse, "God put his legs on crooked." Or when I've had an amazing meditation experience and received thoughts or messages that have helped me on my own journey, I've said "The Universe told me..." or whatever.

To me, it is a way to define something that I feel is bigger than me that really has no explanation. It transcends religion and humanity. It is available to everyone. It is science, it is nature, it is the unexplainable, it is the explainable, it is an energy, it is an essence, it is everything and it is nothing.

How's that for confusing?
    Right, it is confusing and not acceptable to those that being faithful means following their God as described by their prophets and literature.
    "Have you accepted Jesus yet?"

I think that the religious experience being talked about here and how those that follow it live and work and expect the world to conform to it is not quite what you are describing there.

According to many, many of them, you would be one more heathen out there.

It starts here Luke 13 22..

Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he went, always pressing on toward Jerusalem. 23Someone asked him, “Lord, will only a few be saved?”

He replied, 24“Work hard to enter the narrow door to God’s Kingdom, for many will try to enter but will fail. 25When the master of the house has locked the door, it will be too late. You will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Lord, open the door for us!’ But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’ 26Then you will say, ‘But we ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’ 27And he will reply, ‘I tell you, I don’t know you or where you come from. Get away from me, all you who do evil.’

So, what does that say to me... Well, there are those among us who call themselves christian - they go to church, say they follow the ten commandments, they act as though they love their neighbor, they talk the talk. Jesus is specifically addressing those who say - hey wait, I'm with you - I listened to what you had to say, I followed all the "rules". (he is not addressing those who did not know him or rejected him). Jesus is saying - I saw through your sham. I know who you really are. I know what you said and did when you thought no one was watching.

This is MY personal interpetation this morning - what this bible verse means to ME.

I understand this completely. I go beyond "uncomfortable". My hackles go up. But I do realise that this is largely from my negative experiences with "Christians". The ones that try to save you I associate with the Nutters I know/have known. Oh and let me add here: the worst horse abuse I have ever seen in.my.life (I walked into the barn as they were picking up the peices) was at the hands of a minister who then preached to his church (I am going by second hand info here) the similarities between beating that horse and the lashing of Jesus, complete with longe whip in hand at the pulpit.
    **barf**

It does not make my hackles ride but I admit I do feel a combination of boredom/frustration. It gets tiresome to have to have the same conversation of why I don't want to be converted, why I'm not interested and the shocked horror of when I state what I self identity as. I would love to be able to post a bulletin or have a sign and stop being put in a position of having to explain my personal beliefs - because if you just say no thanks and walk off the you're a jerk

I get both sides of religion. I was raised catholic and made it through confirmation. So I understand where the religious stand in some ways - I dislike the lack of tolerance that I find is practiced while the opposite is preached around me.