The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    what are the results if you fail to accept jesus christ is your savior?
    People will not talk to you in the Post Office any more?

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Nice history BR. IIRC it was Constantine's wife Theodosia(sp?) who was a Christian, but Constantine was instrumental in mainstreaming the religion.

Emperor Justinian I was Theodora's husband and is considered a saint among ortho. Christians. And they were 100 or so years AFTER Constantine who is the reason for the spread of Christianity thought out the Holy Roman Empire.

So you were close, but no cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Oh, boy, you can't see how, in the big picture, all religions are so very similar as to the differences being only in the interpretation?

Study history of religions and you will see where your Christian religion has it's roots, some of the stories in the Bible already told centuries ago in other religions, practically word by word.
    Vedas anyone?
    Vedas?

I have to say I am of no help in this discussion.
    I have grown allergic to organized religion.
    Don't get me wrong, I was raised in Christian tradition, but the ground personal early on set the course for non religious life for me.
    I was feeling the desperate urge to walk out on my stepmother's funeral service...not because of her, but because of the sheer silliness of pageantry.

I considered to join the church who hosts our boyscout troop, but I could not. Not even as absentee member.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I think organized religion on the whole is a necessary crutch,and the flavor just depends on where and how you were raised.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    I think there is less alcoholism and wife beating in a Christian home than in a non Christian home.
    can you cite an actual, peer reviewed source for this? a very quick google actually led me to the opposite finding.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...m-and-religion
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    One correction-they were not believers in the God of the New and Old Testament, God the Father and Creator...and they were not believers in Jesus Christ the Savior.

The distinction is critical.
    Yes!, as Stephen Colbert would say.

In all of history, blood has never been shed in Jesus' name.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Yes!, as Stephen Colbert would say.

In all of history, blood has never been shed in Jesus' name.
    I didn't say that. I said those on the planes on 9-11 did not do so in Jesus name.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    heck he may even be working for you as many of the Mexicans that came across the border are named Jesus
    Living where I do, that post was hilarious!!

1 members found this post helpful.

OP I think you asked really good questions. I am strongly turned off by organized religion but respect others feelings and am often very impressed with the tenacity of the faithful to bring others to their faith. Well when done in a way that isn't offensive.

Larksmom, this is exactly what turns me off about the religious. I realize that not everyone is like you and don't judge but isn't that Jesus' main point. Don't judge others? The three most racist people I know go to church every Sunday and view themselves as devout Christians. I worked with many many abused children when doing my Psych rotations and many if them came from Christian households as well. Your theory does not hold up in my opinion. Have you thought maybe that your statement about Christians essentially having more "loving" households is really just that you don't see or want to see the bad things that happen?

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Oh, boy, you can't see how, in the big picture, all religions are so very similar as to the differences being only in the interpretation?

Study history of religions and you will see where your Christian religion has it's roots, some of the stories in the Bible already told centuries ago in other religions, practically word by word.
    Vedas anyone?
    No I don't see this.

Actually there is no other religion/belief/whatever (of which I am aware) that is based completely on the concept of Grace.

So you can pick apart pieces and parts to prove your point.

You can also give many examples of those claiming to be Christian that fail miserably in being disciples of Christ.

You can use examples of Christians behaving badly to prove that means Christianity is bad.

You are free to do that and keep doing that-I however am not interested in that kind of discussion so don't feel offended if I don't reply to comments from that kind of discussion.

The OP asked several questions and I did my best to offer answers or a suggestion of where she can go to find those answers.

6 members found this post helpful.

A funny piece of trivia.

People get all wound up at the mention of "Christian" and are always so upset at how poorly "Christians" behave.

It is a little known fact that the word "Christian" actually only appears 3 times in the Bible. (I am pretty sure it is 3) and I believe each time it is used in a negative context. LOL.

Just a little Cheers trivia for the day.

2 members found this post helpful.

For me personally, as regards the 9/11 terrorists being believers, I completely agree. You have to have a pretty serious conviction to do something like that. However, trying to lump them into the same category as people who believe in Jesus Christ being the Son of God is like comparing apples and oranges. Their religion (as I understand it) calls for the death of people who believe differently from themselves. My Bible (as I understand it) calls for peace, respect and love of everyone. Does this mean people haven't warped, misused and at times completely screwed up the teaching of Jesus? Of course not. We are all human and I fail at life on a regular basis, despite my beliefs.

One part I don't understand is when people try to say the principles are no good because they've seen so-and-so who claims to follow those teachings fail spectacularly. One of my personal pet peeves is when people say one thing and do something completely at odds with what they claim, so I totally understand the frustration of that situation, but I don't get the impulse to say the principles themselves are not good because people don't apply them. If anyone can explain that thought process, I'd appreciate it!

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by EKLay View Post
    For me personally, as regards the 9/11 terrorists being believers, I completely agree. You have to have a pretty serious conviction to do something like that. However, trying to lump them into the same category as people who believe in Jesus Christ being the Son of God is like comparing apples and oranges. Their religion (as I understand it) calls for the death of people who believe differently from themselves. My Bible (as I understand it) calls for peace, respect and love of everyone. Does this mean people haven't warped, misused and at times completely screwed up the teaching of Jesus? Of course not. We are all human and I fail at life on a regular basis, despite my beliefs.

One part I don't understand is when people try to say the principles are no good because they've seen so-and-so who claims to follow those teachings fail spectacularly. One of my personal pet peeves is when people say one thing and do something completely at odds with what they claim, so I totally understand the frustration of that situation, but I don't get the impulse to say the principles themselves are not good because people don't apply them. If anyone can explain that thought process, I'd appreciate it!

bolding mine....the Crusades anyone???
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

For the record Islam no more advocates death to unbelievers than Christianity does.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    bolding mine....the Crusades anyone???
    And once again an example of "Christians" doing things in the name of Christianity that have no Biblical support and no support from the teachings of Christ.

Anyone can do anything in the name of Christianity. There is no possible way to stop that from happening.

The question to be answered-the litmus test, if you will, would be, "Does the behavior being conducted in the name of Christianity have any support in the teachings of Christ."

SADLY (and QUITE sadly), the answer to that question will often be 'no' as it is in the example of the Crusades -or the whacky protestors that appear and funerals of fallen soldiers or a number of other perfectly appalling behavior.

I think you would find (well, I am certain you would find) that if you read the Bible (as opposed to guessing what it says based on the actions of those claiming to follow it) you would find that every single thing or principle that is taught by Christ is one that would create a 'better' society (for lack of a better way to put it).

yeah, let's not start comparing Islam to Christianity. Not enough people know the 5 pillars of Islam and most are taught that Muslim's are bad.

The way I see it, Islam is to Christianity as Christianity is to Judism. Can't have one without the other.

8 members found this post helpful.

OK, let me start by saying that I’m glad the Mods have eliminated the
    “Dislike” red thumb down. Thanks! And, Merry Christmas! Mods!

I’ve read the all the posts but certainly won’t respond to each point. Let me begin by saying that the church I grew up in believed that the integrity of the Christian message lies in the multiplicity of its witness so I’m not arguing that anyone here is right or wrong. If one claims Christ it seems pretty clear to me he is already at work in their life whether I agree or not. As my faith has developed over the decades and I’ve gotten more comfortable in my relationship, I’ve developed more faith in God and others to work things out between them.

1st: Sunridge: The brilliant Tubingen University professor of theology come to the University of Chicago in the wake of Hitler’s rise, Paul Tillich, wrote a lovely little book called “The Dynamics of Faith” which explores this. I commend it to you. He wrote, all have faith, an“ultimate concern,” the place, my words, where the rubber hits the road in our lives. For some it’s Church, Allah, Yahweh, the teaching of the Buddha, the Gita, for others money, others family, for many its drugs, alcohol, power, freedom…. You get the idea. For some, it’s an image of Jesus that is comforting and familiar, one that saves, offers security in an unsecure world.

2nd. Larksmom: I think if you would get any Christian pastor to be honest with you would see how wrong headed your thought is. I’ve worked in addiction and mental health treatment for three decades. Addiction and domestic violence, despair and misogyny, know no boundaries. Rather, it is the patients who come to treatment as “believers” who are among the most difficult to treat. They have a hubris of faith that is an intricately woven and invasive part of their habits of thought that makes it very difficult for most to open themselves to the authentic humility of self that real change and healing require.

With kind apologies to LMH and others here, and in so many other places, who find comfort in the whole notion at faith in Christ is about personal salvation, which is directly related to the OP’s original question or I wouldn’t touch this with a 12’ pole, faith in Christ is not about personal comfort and salvation; it is not about doing good and being nice and treating others well.

Faith in Christ is about opening oneself, willingly, gradually, over time, to a radical transformation, what the openly gay Dominican Priest and Theologian, James Alison (who I had the great privilege of studying with in November), calls an induction, of life in relationship with God’s very nature is a radical forgiveness and love that is well beyond our limited comprehension. This God, is not just “out there” or, “in here”—in the human heart—but is alive and well and active in our lives; the story of the resurrected Jesus meeting his disciples on the road to Emmaus is an ongoing tale. It is not limited to time and place.

In this relationship our griefs and losses are healed, in all gentleness and patience, as we are able to make them available by grace—with God’s help. It is a life long journey with a very high bar.

As much as it is for us, and yes, in it we are saved, but it is for others. God’s, Christ’s very nature is “kenosis” self-emptying, so as we become closer in heart, mind and life to God who was dead but is now alive with us, our lives become so full that we must give them to others. It is about our personal relationships and about the transformation of society; very hard thing that is more than donating to the homeless or tithing at church. It is about aligning with the most poor and disadvantaged, the suffers and the grievers—the folks God has been trying to get us to care for since the days of Abram and Sari.

So, yes, I mostly agree with most of the criticisms of and arguments against the Christian faith as it is portrayed in the mega churches, popular media and even most mainline denomination. If any would look more closely there are quite a few pastors and scholars of things religious who would agree with me.

If any are interested, I’ve been blogging about this during Advent: Advent from the Underside: http://listeningasthosewhoaretaught.blogspot.com/

Hope this is of some value to some here, especially the OP.
    hound
    Last edited by houndsRus; Dec. 25, 2012 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lolita1 View Post
    I have been told a number of times now that many christian holidays (like xmas & easter) are actually old pagan holidays. That to convert the pagans they used the same days but for a different god & also use to errect the christian churches where the pagans used to gather.
    Yes, it is well understood by historians and religious scholars that Jesus was NOT born in December. The best guess is June or July, mid summer for sure.

As Christianity was spread, they adopted holiday celebrations that were already in place. Winter solstice became Jesus' birthday, ad traditional spring festivities became easter.

That is why we have eggs and rabbits at easter (which have nothing to do with Jesus), and celebrate his birthday 6 months too late.

Personally, I am not a Christian, so I celebrate the solstice and the spring.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Yes, it is well understood by historians and religious scholars that Jesus was NOT born in December. The best guess is June or July, mid summer for sure.

As Christianity was spread, they adopted holiday celebrations that were already in place. Winter solstice became Jesus' birthday, ad traditional spring festivities became easter.

That is why we have eggs and rabbits at easter (which have nothing to do with Jesus), and celebrate his birthday 6 months too late.

Personally, I am not a Christian, so I celebrate the solstice and the spring.
    LOL, I am at awe how they can figure out when he was born.
    I am sure they didn't keep records back then.

but yeah, the Winter Solstice, the time when hope is reborn and the days become longer again!
    Easter actually is a close resemblance of passover, of course, to convert the heathens, they had to be creative, this chicks, and bunnies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

there are many hints to the time he was born, talk about various crops and other indicators that it was NOT winter - winter solstice was hijacked.

The "Christmas" star appears in June according to astronomers.

The shepherds where with their flocks in the field - that would indicate summer, not December.

Joseph and Mary came to Bethlehem to register with the Roman census. The census was not taken in the depths of winter.

Winter solstice on the other hand, always happens this time of year, and had been celebrated for centuries before Jesus was born.

5 members found this post helpful.