The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Two questions

Two random, unrelated questions I'd like to hear some COTHers opinions on

1. What would you consider the tallest someone could be on a large pony of average build (not super narrow or wide) without looking really big?

2. If someone shows someone else's horse BUT rider is paying entries, doesn't rider keep prize money?
    Last edited by hb625; Nov. 10, 2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by hb625 View Post
    1. What would you consider the tallest someone could be on a large pony of average build (not super narrow or wide) without looking really big?
    Hmm, I'd say about 5'3"-5'4". It *really* depends on the pony though. I'm 5'7" and can ride a large easily with shortened stirrups, but I don't think I'd show one.

Quote Originally Posted by hb625 View Post
    2. If someone shows someone else's horse BUT rider is paying entries, doesn't rider keep prize money?
    Yes, typically, but that's an arrangement to be made with the horse's owner. There's no official rule.

Completely depends. I'm about 5'5" and own a 14hh ish large that I don't look enormous on because her barrel is the size of a small tank.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Depends on build of pony & rider, large barrel will take up a long leg. For example a rider with a taller upper body and short neck pony will not be a good looking pair. I am around 5'4 and ride a couple larges in schooling rounds for clients, occasionally have to hop on a 13h pony but I don't think it's the prettiest picture...lol

I think it depends on the arrangement made in each case between owner/rider. Is it a lease with a lease fee? Is rider doing owner a favour putting miles on or is owner doing rider a favour providing something to ride & show? Many variables and best worked out in each individual case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy_Free View Post
    I think it depends on the arrangement made in each case between owner/rider. Is it a lease with a lease fee? Is rider doing owner a favour putting miles on or is owner doing rider a favour providing something to ride & show? Many variables and best worked out in each individual case.
    It's a little bit of both. Owner is away. Plan was to have Person A half lease the horse while owner is away but the lease didn't work out. So, owner permits Person B to ride and show horse. Person B pays everything (entries, shipping training etc). Person B isn't a pro, but is a competent rider who isn't going to undo any training or do any sort of harm. They are fully capable of giving the horse a good ride. So obviously Person B reaps the benefit of showing the horse (which is a nice horse and has competed successfully at 3'6 but Person B is currently showing the horse 3'). Person B does have their own horse too, though, and shows their horse at 3'6. The owner benefits because the horse is kept in shape and remembering what a horse show is without a penny of their cost.

Just on this little bit of information, I think Person B would normally keep any prize money, ASSuming the owner has not negotiated anything different in advance. But I am ASSuming the terms are not clearly spelled out in writing or this would not be an issue. The truth is, everyone can have a different sense of just who is helping whom in these relationships, so generally there is no right or wrong answer. The answer is usually to get it in writing...
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I've 5'6" but with short legs. I've ridden a large pony on occasion as an adult, and I really don't look out of place on one. Depends on the horse's and the person's conformations.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Ya I agree, in that situation I would think rider would keep prize money, but again no hard set rules in this situation without having prior agreement in writing.

It depends on how tall your upper body is and the pony's conformation.
    If rider pays entry then rider keeps prize money, possible to help pay entry fees.

Totally depends on the pony. I'm 5'5" with very long leg and a short torso. I look fine on a lot of ponies. It doesn't really have much to do with the height of the pony, but how they're built. Longer necks and bigger bodies tend to be better for adults unless you're really small.