The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Not in the Holiday Spirit?

Anyone else just not feeling it this year?

I'm not at all, this is typically my favorite time of year. This year totally just not feeling it. I've tried to get myself going, music, lights, cookies. With my husband gone and my son in a cast, I've just not gotten myself in gear. At least I put the tree up and my son has plenty of little gifts from Santa to open in the AM.

I'm not feeling it at all this year. My mom came to visit and put up my tree one afternoon a few weeks ago. I leave the lights on at night because it makes a great nightlight for taking out the dogs.

I'm happily alone tonight enjoying the quiet before the next few days of chaos that I don't want to partake in.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

2 members found this post helpful.

Me neither. I was talking to DD about how we might just celebrate the feast of the three kings or something next year and get it over with quicker. We put the fake tree up and that was about it. Did get some gifts, but they still need to be wrapped . . . I need a vacation.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

Yeah. I do what I can. I'm a big classroom decorator and the snowflakes and holiday decorations slowly appeared. I thought maybe 8th graders wouldn't want to do Secret Santa, but, noooooo, they were into it. I had to cancel it with one class because of some a holes who would have done something mean to others and bad behavior, but the other two were great. One of my big, goofy kids who doesn't do much and is so far behind because he sits for his siblings was running around gleefully shooting his candy canes he got full of chocolates. Another girl is brand new from Vietnam and speaks no English (super smart, though!) and I only have one kid who kind of understands, speaking no better than I. I didn't put her in SS, but she got a gift from "Santa" including a splat pig--I bought a bunch off of Amazon. You throw them at the wall and they splat, and then peel off. Man, that made her so happy and the envy of most of the class. That was fun.

Today I delivered my hand made toffee to the neighbors, which I always like, and finished off the gift bags for the barn help.

I really enjoy the giving little things. I don't like the big push for buying crap. Not really giving gifts. I do put up lights at the house because it's pretty, and the cat is in LOVE with the little fake Xmas tree with lights in it. He just sits there and looks at it all day. I'm kind of depressed there's no place to go and eat with people.

1 members found this post helpful.

BTDT if you're close to me, you're more than welcome to shoot me a PM and join me and the little guy for a nice stew and giving the ponies candy canes!

Awww. Thank you! SO sweet. I don't think we can get much further apart in the country, though. I'm about 10 miles from the Pacific ocean!

I was at the barn today and the girl there was giving the horses candy canes. They weren't eating them, though!

Not remotely into Christmas but very much into the week of more family time, tons of snow, happy people floating around... but as far as Christmas itself, not so much. Very measured. We lost a good friend a month ago and a VIP in our lives died extremely suddenly last week, we're all fighting off a chest cold...enough to dampen the spirit but make us happy for what we have.

Well drat! I hope you find somewhere, it's the pits spending it alone even if you're not in the spirit. My mom got to come out, I'm happy to have someone here since my husband is gone. We've already snuck a couple of candy canes to the favorites (: They love them!

Right with you. Since breaking my leg has put a damper on getting much of anything done, its been kinda overwhelming.
    I did gift cards for family and friends and only managed to buy a few actual items to wrap and mail.
    Honestly, some of my family(you know the people you HAVE to buy for) haven't been bothered to say thank you in past years. So I didn't feel too bad about not giving personal items.
    One of the reasons I wanted to send something to your little boy. Because its cool to brighten the day of people you don't even know.
    Now, your not gonna get his toys for a week or so, so its not really a Christmas thing. But I had fun shopping for a little kid. Well worth hobbling around the store for
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

OK, who's alone and near AirForceWife? Lots of you guys in Florida! I'm sure there's someone you could take in!

Most people are really only with family tonight, so it's not a friend kind of thing. I might go over to a church my neighbor says has some amazing two hour "broadway show" of xmas that's supposed to be amazing. I need to whip up another batch of English toffee for my deliveries tomorrow.

Sobriska, if you're in Florida(and I think you are) my son and I would love to meet you one day soon! I didn't realize that you're broken too! How long are adults out with a broken leg? I know little man was estimated 4 weeks(we're in week 4 wohoo!) It's the little things that brighten your day and you sure brightened mine with your generosity towards my son. You've made me realize there are good people left in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    OK, who's alone and near AirForceWife? Lots of you guys in Florida! I'm sure there's someone you could take in!

Most people are really only with family tonight, so it's not a friend kind of thing. I might go over to a church my neighbor says has some amazing two hour "broadway show" of xmas that's supposed to be amazing. I need to whip up another batch of English toffee for my deliveries tomorrow.
    I just posted on the alone for Christmas thread with an offer to anyone near me actually (:

Cool! I hope it works out. THIS is the kind of thing that makes it a holiday. The special giving thing.

I have never been in the holiday spirit, ever. Apparently I was even a grinch as a child.

This year LMEqT no longer believes in Santa Claus. Thats the clincher for me. Next year, I am going away!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Broke my leg playing softball.
    One of my greatest stress relievers.
    I have graduated from cast to brace and have been walking without crutches for two weeks now. Gets sore easily. But hey, I'm doing my own stuff now. Losing the independence was the worst.
    New season starts February 4. I SO hope I can play by then.

Call me silly, but I'd much rather do things for close friends, random strangers or equine rescues than buy stuff for family that expects it but doesn't appreciate.

You seem nice. I think there's a lotta nice people on this bb
    You might be blah now, but tomorrow morning, when your Son wakes up and sees what Santa brought, you will beaming. One can't help but smile when a little child smiles.

Merry Christmas!
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

AirForceWife... come to VT and play with my pony!

I wasn't feeling it at ALL this year, went and braved the mall on Sunday in the WORST mood ever and came home to DH, who had the house all decorated and a tree up! Go him!

It's feeling a bit more like Christmas now that we've got some serious snow, the house is decorated, and I got all our presents wrapped. It'll really be Christmas when we get up early to go do chores.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

You have that icky white stuff up there! No way, but you can send her to me, she'd fit right in with the spazz Carnival, I bet he'd be in love.

I am so not into it. I had to literally drag myself to my Grandmothers in NY yesterday. I was supposed to be here early Saturday morning. I just want to be home with my dogs and ponies. ( I do have my youngest dog here with me). But of course I sit here on COTH while the rest of the fam are all together laughing and drinking in the other room.

Is it bed time yet???????

I'm completely not into it this year. Normally I'm like Elf for about a month and a half leading up to Christmas -- like, over-the-top into it. This year I'm just faking it, hoping the christmas spirit whooshes in at the last minute.

TOTALLY not into it. Did my best... Did all the right "give to other people, it'll make you feel better" things... Faked it for weeks... Made cookies and fudge for the office, handmade gifts for a few peeps, sponsored a family in upstate NY and paid for their whole Christmas with one whole paycheck... Gave cash to all the homeless people on my way home from work Friday... Then I crashed... Been crying all day and can't seem to stop unless I'm watching TV or sleeping. My prayers are empty... There's not going to be anything under my tree tomorrow morning no matter how hard I pray... I guess I *should* be praying not to act and feel like a mental six-year-old... I'll try that next...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief