The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The new JC Penney

I'll preface by saying I love Penney's. Been shopping there most of my life (when I shop, which isn't often.) They are in the middle of revamping their stores and image. Their sales have plummeted since they started the changes.

For the first time since that started, I was in there last night doing some Christmas shopping and just hated their new setup. It's cold - tons of empty space - no continuity. I went in because I'd heard a radio ad talking about their $5 shirts. Guess what I NEVER found? The $5 items, anywhere.

I get lost in every department store I go into and it was even WORSE in their new design. When they've got signs up saying "$10 and up" I expect to find some $10 items. Yeah, right. Most of what I saw was overpriced for the quality. They don't have the selection that they used to, in any of the departments I went into. And boy, was it a cold and unfriendly atmosphere.

It makes me sad. But these changes are not for the better. Theyr'e doing some sort of "Christmas button" promotion - they give you some little pinback buttons when you check out. You're supposed to go home and enter the code on the back of the pin to see if you win a prize. Well, more prominent on the back of the button is the "CHINA" sticker. For kicks, i just entered the code and it didn't work. Oh, and one of the items I purchased rang up for $1 more than the price on the tag. Well, $1 more than the lowest price on the tag, less than the other price on the tag. Yeah, their tags also have multiple prices on them.

Not a fan. Hope they can survive somehow, but I won't be back this Christmas.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I too have shopped at Penneys forever...since I was a kid and had money from
    babysitting.

About two years, we bought a new mattress on sale, a mid-priced one. It was
    awful from the get go. It sagged under the butt on one side and slopped horribly on the other side to the outside...almost needed a seat bealt. Unlike other mattress shops, no return. After weeks of being ignored, they finally sent someone out to evaluate it and it was within ther "perimators." We suffered through for a while and bought a Sleep Number but we were basically out $1k on
    this set.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Oops, it sent itself before being done. About the only shopping I did there after that was to use coupons. They no longer have the Cabin Creek line and very little St. Johnsbury, both of which I liked. So Kohls gets most of my department business...better sales and once a month get a coupon for 15% to 30% off and then there's the Kohl's cash.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

I worry about Penny's. I have a good friend who works there and it's not what it used to be. Hope they get things together soon. I don't mind the new design as much, since at our local Penny's things were always so crowded on the shelves, it was hard to find anything, and that's changed, so that's good.

I agree. I was excited to visit our newly remodeled store, and I was quite disappointed. It felt unfinished. I didn't understand all of the open, wasted space- it seemed like the store was empty. I went in all geared up for some bargain shopping (I could always find something there), but left empty handed and disappointed.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

1 members found this post helpful.

Hate it also. I agree that (a) it feels cold and sterile , and (b)call me dumb, but I LIKE sales flyers in the paper.

2 members found this post helpful.

The last time I was in a major mall was twelve years ago and I have a regional mall less than a mile from me.

Romping gangs of wild teenagers with nothing else to go but hang around was the beginning of the end for me.

Penny's, Sears, mastodons and dinosaurs all will only be viewed at the Smithsonian soon.

3 members found this post helpful.

I still buy all kitchen and laundry machines at Sears. They provide servicing and those guys are great really professional, prompt and knowledgeable.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

The revamped JCPs is awful. Still shop the house department, but the look and quality of the clothing is terrible. You used to be able to get the "basics" for a reasonable price, and there was a good selection. Now? UGH. I'm not a teenager or a hootchy mama, won't wear skinny jeans nor neon bright colors of everything. And...there is no selection--just a few items of each style, sort of. Boo! I have reluctantly begun shopping at Macy's (also not my fave store).
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I have a soft spot for JCP; I worked there for almost 5 years going through school. They recently overhauled the local outlet store & turned it into a new shiny "regular" store. I like it. The clothes aren't nearly as frumpy as they used to be. They still have Sag Harbor for the old farts.

I'd like to shop there more often than I do, but Target is 3 lights closer and has cat litter. The teen/gang thing is more of an issue at the mall this JCP is at than at Target. There is an actual nice mall, but it's a drive.

2 members found this post helpful.

St. John's Bay jeans seem to be the only jeans that fit me sometimes.

At least they still carry Liz Claiborne clothing, which isn't too fuddy-duddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    I'll preface by saying I love Penney's. Been shopping there most of my life (when I shop, which isn't often.) They are in the middle of revamping their stores and image. Their sales have plummeted since they started the changes.

For the first time since that started, I was in there last night doing some Christmas shopping and just hated their new setup. It's cold - tons of empty space - no continuity. I went in because I'd heard a radio ad talking about their $5 shirts. Guess what I NEVER found? The $5 items, anywhere.

I get lost in every department store I go into and it was even WORSE in their new design. When they've got signs up saying "$10 and up" I expect to find some $10 items. Yeah, right. Most of what I saw was overpriced for the quality. They don't have the selection that they used to, in any of the departments I went into. And boy, was it a cold and unfriendly atmosphere.

It makes me sad. But these changes are not for the better. Theyr'e doing some sort of "Christmas button" promotion - they give you some little pinback buttons when you check out. You're supposed to go home and enter the code on the back of the pin to see if you win a prize. Well, more prominent on the back of the button is the "CHINA" sticker. For kicks, i just entered the code and it didn't work. Oh, and one of the items I purchased rang up for $1 more than the price on the tag. Well, $1 more than the lowest price on the tag, less than the other price on the tag. Yeah, their tags also have multiple prices on them.

Not a fan. Hope they can survive somehow, but I won't be back this Christmas.
    I like the new stuff much better ! I fnd it much better displayed and the fashions are more current than before. I totally adore the button thing and I scoff about nine every day with my "connections" since you are only supposed to get two a day. I get scads of free stuff

I was in there yesterday to do Christmas shopping for my SO. I couldn't find anything. His Christmas gifts from me make up the bulk of his wardrobe for the year.

Nothing was where it should have been. It seems favorite brands have been dropped. I did get a few of the St. Johns Bay shirts for him but that's all. Couldn't find his favorite pajamas, underwear, t-shirts, none of it. I got him a gift card because they still sell Levi's but once he spends that I doubt we'll go back.

I didn't like it at all and I really don't like needing to find a new store that carries the things he likes this late in the game. I always knew that I could find what I wanted at Penny's. Not any more.

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    St. John's Bay jeans seem to be the only jeans that fit me sometimes.

At least they still carry Liz Claiborne clothing, which isn't too fuddy-duddy.
    Funny, I looked at the Liz Claiborne stuff the other day and thought the exact opposite! The last time I was in the Liz outlet, I thought I mistakenly ended up in a nursing home fashion show.

aparently those who are lamenting the lose of Old Penney's didn't spend enough $$ in there or it would still be around. I really can't get too upset about buttons made in China, either. Most junket/trinket items are, why should a cash strapped company pay extra for the stuff? From the comments here, I doubt that anyone who dislikes the new store is going to be swayed by an American made button.

They don't carry Levi's anymore - well, they have men's, but not women's.

On the one hand, they were going downhill (I couldn't find much, though I could usually get a pair of work slacks from Worthington) but the prices were lower than Macy's. Now it sounds like I may end up having to go there. (Sears is a joke, though they have decent prices on athletic shoes. But if I'm going to Sears, I go to the hardware-only one right here in town. You can't buy a Craftsman lawn mower at Macy's.)

On the other, it doesn't sound like the new one's much of an improvement. I've already been buying jeans at Tractor Supply (good prices on the Wranglers that fit me) and I have relatively little reason to buy new tops (Goodwill has nice stuff cheap anyway.) I may just, if I need 'nice' work clothes, start going to Macy's instead.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    They don't carry Levi's anymore - well, they have men's, but not women's.
    The SO is a skinny guy with no butt and he prefers the slim fit Levis. He usually gets them at Goodwill but I thought a new pair would be nice. I'm going to encourage him to spend the card quickly. I don't have much faith that either the Penny's (or their Levi wall) will be around much longer.

I love the Worthington Curvy Fit pants. What makes me sad is that I used to be able to buy them for under $20 and right after the change, they were $35 with no way to lower the price! They have lowered them to $27, I believe. Black Fridat I bought a pair for $17.

I have noticed the quality (of items in general) has gone down. I bought some pillows on black Friday as well-- the same brand I vbought 4 years ago-- and the cover material is a lot thinner and after being put into the dryer, the insides started to come out a bit.

I will always buy the Worthington pants and the A.N.A. Jeans because I find it hard to find pants that fit me as well as those two brands. I now buy my shirts at Macy's.

We shop JCP in the past. But things are different. All I get there are shirts for my husband on an as needed basis.

I do not like their new advertising catalogs. You have to be young, hip, THIN AS A RAIL, groovy, swinging, hot, cool, what-evah (hand waving icon) . . . Too much in my face advertising. Not sure what they are advertising. Well, I do, but won't get into that.

They are not my shopping place any more.

I buy nearly everything on line. Only stores I go to are Lowe's and the small local tack shop. For clothing I shop Nordstrom's and Macy's on line. For Horsey stuff I shop mostly Equus Now, Horse Country and my new favorite Schnieders. For food I do go in person to Whole Foods.