The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recently Went on Meds for Depression and Feel Like a New Person

About two months ago or so I finally gave in and talked to my doctor about my persistent depression and anxiety (mostly depression). She put me on Lexapro and within a month I felt so, so much better. At this point I feel like I new person and am wondering why I lived with depression for decades like I did when there was possibly a solution. For the past few weeks I've been thinking to myself, 'so, this is how "normal" feels'. I still have the same problems, I have pretty much no family and I have a lot of stress in my life, but ... I feel okay about it all. I feel even and I am certainly not feeling my usual holiday neurotic crazed sensitivity. Hell, I didn't even get a gift from my father this year and I don't even really care that much -- had a terrific dinner with his wife and him in NYC a few weeks ago and am so happy about the conversations we had and can just think about that and be content.

Please tell me this isn't just a honeymoon phase. I feel positive, generally content and "even", it's night & day to the out-of-control emotions I was struggling with before I went on the med. Anyone else have a success story?
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

12 members found this post helpful.

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I'm really happy you feel better!

Nope! Not a phase!
    So many folks are against drugs but I tell you...why suffer if you don't have too?
    ive been on happy pills for over a decade. Great stuff.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

6 members found this post helpful.

Yeah for you.

What a wonderful gift to yourself
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Not a phase! I suffered with undiagnosed crippling anxiety and depression...I've been on Zoloft for about 8 or 9 months now and it really is like being a new person. No more panicking for no reason, mysteriously feeling awful, just shutting down and being unable to function.... in some ways life has gotten harder over the last few months, but my emotions are under control and I can get through it an even-keeled and rational person. Yay happy pills!

I love my antidepressants.

Nope, not a phase! And awesome that you took yourself in and got help! So glad you feel better!!

Excellent--glad you feel better

You'll have to get a new screen name now.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

4 members found this post helpful.

Fantastic! So glad for your success!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I'm so glad for you. With all the negative press psychotropic medications are getting these days, too many people forget that for many of us who suffer from depression, anxiety, and other disorders, the right medication can be a godsend. I hope you continue to improve. Hugs to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    You'll have to get a new screen name now.
    How about "cranky-no-more"?

While I am Bluey, I have never been blue, so can't say but wonderful that you found a medication that helps you feel like yourself.

Awesome. I am glad you are feeling so much better.

Better living through chemistry. I went on Wellbutrin 3 years ago and my life changed for the better. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting chemical help.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

2 members found this post helpful.

No, not a phase. Maybe you have dysthymia, a low grade depression that mostly lingers around forever, sort of like a 98.8 or 99 degree fever, some days are ok, but most of sort of crappy. Antidepressants can lift that off you.

While I have seen that happen with my patients, it was really dramatic with my MIL. She was depressed before I knew her, spent the first 15 years of our marriage just not feeling well, not happy, critical, irritable. Finally doc puts her on imiprimine (this was a long time ago). A new person, she laughed, she smiled, she was funny. Stayed on meds for 5 years, went off do to unrelated physical issues, was ok until her husband died, went back on Lexapro, did great for years.

Better living thru chemisty.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Glad you asked and got help that you feel better. I wish you could talk to my husband. He has depression and other issues and won't go. I think he'd do really well on meds and with some therapy but he flatly refuses. To me depression and other chemical imbalances are no different than diabetes, you just have to balance or get what you need and you feel better. Thanks for posting, it gives me hope.

2 members found this post helpful.

good for you! You got yourself help and are feeling the benefits!!! Brain chemistry is what it is and sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you can't just 'snap' yourself out of it. I know many people who have been truly helped with anti anxiety or depression meds. Why suffer??

I recently had a period when "things" just got to me more than they used to, and having some anxiety, and no ability to control my eating. My Dr suggested I try Wellbutrin, started about a month ago, and it's been wonderful. No big difference, but stuff doesn't get to me. I've been terribly busy and, yes, stressed this semester (I work in the academic world, governed by semesters) and now I'm just thoroughly enjoying my holidays at home with my animals, and being strong enough to say "no" if I need to.

I used to frown on people who "needed" drugs, but now that I've seen the other side, I'm coming to believe in getting appropriate help when you need it. Better living through chemistry, indeed.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

People have used and abused alcohol for those problems as one such drug for, it seems, millennia.

The trouble with alcohol is that is too broad a drug, not specific enough to only target the right neurons, as the right medication does.

For those that do use alcohol for those problems and really need other, I hope they consider the right help.
    Knowledge is power.